Just to make it simple

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
For those looking for the best all around mid range detector, here is some help. The At Pro can't be beat, unless of course you detect salt beaches. The AT Pro can't do that from a practical standpoint. On the other hand the Minelab Equinox can. It is essentially an AT Pro that can handle the salt very well. So if you live in the middle of the country and never detect salt beaches, save some money and find an AT Pro at a bargain. You won't be disappointed. If you need wet salt sand or salt water capability, buy a Nox you will get the best of both worlds but at about twice the cost. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wise words. The AT Max is also a good, competitive machine as is the Fisher F-75 and a couple of the White's machines. My old Tesoro Vaquero would kick it even in trashy areas, but Tesoro is having technical difficulties, if you would. I have a digging partner with an AT Pro and he can whoop most folks real good with it. You are correct with the salt water, but even my Tesoro Cibola does good in salt water, however, I generally don't go in the water anymore.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They the Equinox 800 or Equinox 600 both beat the heck out of the At Pro and you can hunt salt beaches

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"On the other hand the Minelab Equinox can. It is essentially an AT Pro that can handle the salt". Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. ROTFLMAO. They're not even close.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the slight difference in price, The Equinox is a much better deal. There's a reason that Garrett has discounted the AT series and/or added incentives to buy one.....they couldn't compete at the same price as the Equinox because the Nox beats the AT in just about every other aspect.

OP
OP
Sandancer

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
If you do not need wet salt capability, the Pro is indeed a good option. A used one can be had for half the price of a Nox, the battery system is simple and reliable, headphone options are cheap and numerous, coil choices vary and are amazingly adaptable, pin pointing is super accurate, iron audio is exceptional, its ability to separate signals especially with a small coil is impressive, its ability to hit on the smallest targets is exceptional, and with eight modes and numerous sensitivity adjustments its15 MHz frequency is extremely versatile.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Anyone know where I can get a Equinox800 for around $500? I'll even pay $600!
Great deal on the at pro is around $350.

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there’s a Nox800, new from authorized dealer for $600 let me know and I’ll pull the trigger. Was going to wait to sell my second ATP, used 4 days at the beach while on vacation, but I wouldn’t pass up a price of $600

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything is budget with some people and I do understand that. If budget is what restricts you, than don't use it to make the other machine inferior to the higher end machine. I used Garrets for at least 20 years. They do not use the same technology as a Minelab. I sold my AT PRO and stepped up. There's a big difference.
Great machines, but different.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get what you pay for. A buddy recently bought a new AT. He was happy because they threw in a Bounty Hunter detector on the deal. He called to say the Bounty Hunter didn't even have a headphone jack. I hunted with him and his AT and he said "If I don't find anything again, I'm gonna have to sell the AT and get either a Nox or Multi Kruzer". We (three of us Nox users) all found keepers. He did not. That's not to say the AT isn't a decent detector, but to say it's Basically an Equinox is far from correct. I don't regret the day I sold my AT, or the day I got my Nox.

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This video makes it easy to choose too

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the 800 in iron is crappy and so many sounds to try to learn At series is deeper on coins especially hot ground cool aid is best when first served lol most dont even know how to use it out of park 1 or 2

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
funny

Last edited:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I like Fords and some like Chevy's! I have both the AT PRO and the MAX. The PRO was my first machine and I really loved it, I don't hunt beaches very often (only during the annual beach vacation) and frankly it is a disappointment in the water. I was debating between getting the NOX or the MAX and the decision came down to couple of things: 1) Cost- Garrett offered 30% off cost of MAX when I traded in a 25 year old Treasure Ace 300 (didn't work and couldn't be repaired) 2) Familiarity- the AT series is simple, light it up and start swinging. I can buy any detector I want but frankly I don't like worry about a lot of settings and software updates, etc 3) Flexibility - Everything I have for my PRO can be used on the MAX, all my coils, headphones, spare battery packs, etc 4) I like "Made in America" Now I understand that there are targets out there that I may miss with my choice but I think that is true with any machine so my advice to anyone is get what you like and swing it like you own it and most importantly be a good detectorist who is a credit to the hobby so all of us can do this till we drop!

OP
OP
Sandancer

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
Don 't understand the severe criticism of the At Pro. Found this little gem two weeks ago in the dry sand on a winter beach that has been pounded by just about every other detector over the past several months. Admittedly it is small, only .07 oz, but it is also a testimony to the Pro's capability. Of course you have to turn it on before it will work!

OP
OP
Sandancer

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
Sorry, here is the picture. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1550277676.909249.jpg

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don 't understand the severe criticism of the At Pro. Found this little gem two weeks ago in the dry sand on a winter beach that has been pounded by just about every other detector over the past several months. Admittedly it is small, only .07 oz, but it is also a testimony to the Pro's capability. Of course you have to turn it on before it will work!

It was your line in #1 that "the equinox is essentially an AT that can handle salt very well"..... The differences are just too vast for this statement to have much credibility. I think it was more about the comparison than the capabilities of the AT series.

chub

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the 800 in iron is crappy and so many sounds to try to learn At series is deeper on coins especially hot ground cool aid is best when first served lol most dont even know how to use it out of park 1 or 2

I am glad you’re not afraid of admitting you’re a AT Pro cool aid drinker. That took a lot of guts :notworthy:

I have an overhyped Garrett ATX, not a great detector but it looks cool so I still have it :hello:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never meant any severe criticism on the PRO I do love the machine and it works great in dry sand but I can’t get it to settle down in the surf. I am hoping to give it a water work out in fresh water this year and I hear it performs very well in that environment.

Okdirtfisher64

Dec 22, 2018
Tulsa,Ok
Detector(s) used
F75+ fisher 11”,5” dd coils
F pulse pin pointer
Black widow headphones
Predator 31c raptor hand digger,
Whites mxt e-tracker stock 9” ,4x6,coil
Garrett AT Pro,ground shrark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember as a kid how without doubt I knew my dad could whip your dad,dad is in his later years now and without doubt I know dad can still whip some ass he’s just made that way!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread