Asking permission

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Began with Bounty Hunter, Now have AT Pro and AT Max.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Seeker, winter is the time of year I do my permissions. I have put together a binder with photos of finds, copies of written permissions with the personal information blacked out and blank permission slips. I only hunt historical locations now, but the binder shows a commitment to integrity it also shows that I document "all" my contact information. (This helps if they ever come back on you later)
I have a copy of the Morman gold coin auction story where a well documented (historical location found) $10 dollar gold coin went for hundreds of thousands of dollars and a less documented $5 gold coin at the same auction did not. I then explain the need for their end on any extreme find to help validate more value on the historical artifact.
I would add, "Never only get verbal permission" Always get written permission.
Bonus reminder, Any City Mayor can give you written permission for City Property as long as no City Ordinance prohibits it, at which case you get with the City Counsel.
"Yes" I've done this before...lol
Good Luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally got the nerve to stop and ask to detect at a homestead. Don't know the years or much history yet. It is currently a business which made it easier. The owner is family. I introduced myself and just stated asking about the home and property. It is restored and added onto but original to the property. Then I started upfront why I was asking and told him of my md interest in the place. Asked if he would like to see pictures of other finds and the equiptment I had. He said sure have at it just don't leave big holes. I said no problem and I would show all my finds. The owner was very nice about it all and let me go for it. Told me about the property next to this place which is a crop growing field idle right now. It had a house on it formerly. That is where I found the majority of stuff. It has great potential for a long time to come. Owner said I could come by any time and he would let his family know who i was and what i was doing! I had a great day. View attachment 1682436

Iโ€™m very very proud of you

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do not door knock . There is no faster way to get a no .Interrupting someone in their home with out knowing what they are doing will get you a no just to get rid of you . Wait til the home owner is mowing or working outside .Leave everything in the car . Ask to detect , if it is a no ask if they need any help that you would trade some labor to detect . This way the home owner gets something in return . If still a no move on .

I donโ€™t door knock but yes I do house stalk

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Do not door knock . There is no faster way to get a no .Interrupting someone in their home with out knowing what they are doing will get you a no just to get rid of you . Wait til the home owner is mowing or working outside .Leave everything in the car . Ask to detect , if it is a no ask if they need any help that you would trade some labor to detect . This way the home owner gets something in return . If still a no move on .
What is this โ€˜noโ€™ you speak of?

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the home owner will not let you dig , Then ask if you could mow the lawn , snow removal , cut down a dead tree , in trade for detecting . If he / she still answers ( no) move on . Always be polite and respectful . It is frozen with snow piles 12ft high with more snow on the way . After the plow runs around town I ask older people that need help . Our plow lines reach four ft tall some times , If they ask how much I reply with metal detecting your yard . Think outside the box and look at it from a home owners perspective .

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate door knocking. For me its always seemed really intrusive and if you say your whole intro and then get a no it's such a punch in gut. I once spent an entire nice afternoon doing this and got all no's (Time I could have been hunting at a local park) I do everything by the book..so to speak
I knock step a few feet back. I am always dressed in nice jeans and do not bring my equipment to the door. I'm also short and not intimidating at all..so I got that going for me.

I have recently had much better luck by talking to people at church (farmers) and doing a ton of online research on (egis) type sites. I can usually find the owners phone number or better yet their email online and have recently secured two permissions by email.
I just sent two emails out this week so...fingers crossed.

Plus you can always follow up an email with a polite phone call or door knock later. I'm working on a flyer/business card as well

Also if I see an old home for sale by owner I'm all over it because they usually don't care.

At some point if your throwing thousands of dollars into machines you get real serious about getting quality permissions even if it means door knocking. You can dig clad all day with an Ace 250, but if you want the virgin sites your going to have to work at it.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't much of a door knocker...But the times that I have there is no set system for me....Try to dress for the area, feel out the look of the house and yard, if it looks spotless or there are no trespassing or will be shot signs? Just move on.:laughing7: You just kind of have to feel it out and react on the fly, there isn't much to plan out.

The last one I asked permission from was for a piece of wooded property. When I first knocked on the door and asked? I got a real fast "no". Then I started talking about other things...I'm new to the area......... After a half hour of BS ing with the guy he said"you know...go ahead, we usually don't let people on the property but just don't get hurt back there." Complete change from the first few seconds of talking to him. Some people are short in certain areas when someone comes knocking on their door. Dress for the area..Don't look like a bum but don't over dress either..be happy but not too annoying happy. haha I've had very few "no's". I don't detect much lately but in the past I'd just pull in when people were outside. That just seems much easier and more comfortable for me.

And after thinking about it..I did very few permissions of yards where someone lived. I just always felt funny doing it while they were watching out their window.:laughing7: Unless it was someone that I knew. Most of me knocking on doors for permissions was for land owners that had vacant land, or "abandoned" houses. Friends of friends, stuff like that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Began with Bounty Hunter, Now have AT Pro and AT Max.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally got the nerve to stop and ask to detect at a homestead. Don't know the years or much history yet. It is currently a business which made it easier. The owner is family. I introduced myself and just stated asking about the home and property. It is restored and added onto but original to the property. Then I started upfront why I was asking and told him of my md interest in the place. Asked if he would like to see pictures of other finds and the equiptment I had. He said sure have at it just don't leave big holes. I said no problem and I would show all my finds. The owner was very nice about it all and let me go for it. Told me about the property next to this place which is a crop growing field idle right now. It had a house on it formerly. That is where I found the majority of stuff. It has great potential for a long time to come. Owner said I could come by any time and he would let his family know who i was and what i was doing! I had a great day. View attachment 1682436

To add to this story; I have been detecting this spot a few times and have found that it was a crash site of a Sabre jet back in the 50's. I have found a few identifiable parts. Pretty awesome to me!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iv learned that all these examples will help but just start asking and youll find what works for you, I try to come off honest and innocent and give a little background of who I am, alot of the time Im calling farmers that own alot of property some times they dont care and other times they just dont want strangers around, im at about a 60% success rate....

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell them you wonโ€™t even be able to tell I was here.
When I start getting veggies I always carry a couple bags to offer owners.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread