Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dress well, no camo, no boots. Smile. Assuming an adult answers smile, start with hi, put the happy bounce in your voice, tell them your hobby is metal detecting, you've been doing it a long time, it does not make a mess, because you are extremely careful and just ask. 90% of the time people will let you do it. If they say no, say thanks for listening and look elsewhere.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All that + show some interest in the history of the property and area. Bring a spare machine and offer to let them use it. Tell them what you've heard about the place - and ask for their understanding of the history. Ask first about disturbed soil areas like gardens and farm fields. I won't even ask about digging on a perfect lawn. If you find something that applies to the house, like skeleton keys, offer it to them.

THing-Profits

Jan 11, 2019
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the above is great information. If the person is hesitating a little, offer to share some of the finds. Just be sure the split is well understood before you start to hunt.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice posted above.

I always seem to have luck when I ask them this... "let me ask you, do you know much about the history of the house / property / whatever ? "

When / if they say no = " are you curious ? "

If they yes - "would you like to know more ? "

IF they say "I don't really care" - The n I say " OH then you wouldn't mind me detecting since you don't care " (JEDI mind trick - must be Jedi for this to work :P )

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If at all possible do your research try to find out the property owners name before you approach, it makes you seem more knowledgeable.
Always ask in person, never over the phone.
If they ask how deep your machine detects always downplay the estimation to 6" tops, and don't carry a big shovel.
Have your phone handy with pics of your previous finds.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Sure thing. I got permission for a great house last week. I always try to dress nicely. I knock on the door, stand back toward the top step and wait for them to answer.

When they do I say something like "Hi, my name is Eric and I'm a bit of a local history buff. I'm in town visiting from Seattle today and was doing some research on the neighborhood. I thought I saw online that this house is from the 1880s, do you know if that's true?"

Then they usually say something like "Yeah, that sounds about right. What can I do for you?"

Then I explain, "Great, I have this hobby of metal detecting. I enjoy looking for old pocket change, tokens, and buttons. Would that be okay if I metal detect your yard?"

Usually I'm just looking for some kind of response at this point. If they are skeptical I might mention a neighbor I know. If they are still really turned off, it's probably better to just move on. Most people are cool with it but if you get a tentative yes, you are going to be looking over your shoulder the whole hunt and not truly enjoying yourself.

I then usually say "I'm happy to show you what I find. If I find any personal valuables like a ring I'd love to work with you to get it back to the owner." People love that.

If they ask about splits because they think you're going to find something great I say "I'm happy to go 50/50 with you on anything valuable I find." I've yet to find anything valuable enough yet that any of the owners truly care.

Hope that helps!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
If at all possible do your research try to find out the property owners name before you approach, it makes you seem more knowledgeable.
Always ask in person, never over the phone.
If they ask how deep your machine detects always downplay the estimation to 6" tops, and don't carry a big shovel.
Have your phone handy with pics of your previous finds.

Knowing their name is a great tip. I tried that once and f***** up. I had a list and looked at the wrong name for the house I was at. That turned it into an automatic no. They weren't impressed lol. It's also hard to know if someone truly owns the property or is renting so I've just resorted to knowing the age of the house and confirming it with them upon arrival (unless I get their name directly from a neighbor). Knowing the history still shows that you're knowledgeable without a high risk of being wrong.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
And call me paranoid but when I get permission I only use a hand digger. No 31" sampson at a yard. Maybe in a field.

When I'm near the house, I also dig with my back to the house so they can't see what I'm doing. If I'm digging in a lawn I always use a drop cloth for loose dirt. I don't want to make someone upset because they think there's going to be a mess.

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those were great suggestions. I was wondering as well and these idea are helpful.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fear of rejection is powerful.

I'm reluctant to ask a stranger about digging in his lawn. I will beat around the bush a bit and ask if they know any place close by where I might be able to detect, especially a farm field or tilled garden - where a lawn would not be damaged. I've shown people finds from the vicinity and they have offered to let me hunt their lawns, once at a house from the 1700's - without even asking.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Not so much about dress for me, I’m usually ready to dig but don’t look like a bum either. Many times I’m with a buddy, sometimes buddies wait in the car, sometimes they are also at the door with me. I keep my intro at about 30 seconds or less.
I never mention the word dig, and never mention splitting finds. I get a “go ahead” better than 4 out of 5 times.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When your 6ft 2 250 lbs with tatoos you gotta stand in the street and toss pebbles at thier window and never show your side arms

OP
OP
S

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Began with Bounty Hunter, Now have AT Pro and AT Max.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Broke the ice!

I finally got the nerve to stop and ask to detect at a homestead. Don't know the years or much history yet. It is currently a business which made it easier. The owner is family. I introduced myself and just stated asking about the home and property. It is restored and added onto but original to the property. Then I started upfront why I was asking and told him of my md interest in the place. Asked if he would like to see pictures of other finds and the equiptment I had. He said sure have at it just don't leave big holes. I said no problem and I would show all my finds. The owner was very nice about it all and let me go for it. Told me about the property next to this place which is a crop growing field idle right now. It had a house on it formerly. That is where I found the majority of stuff. It has great potential for a long time to come. Owner said I could come by any time and he would let his family know who i was and what i was doing! I had a great day. 20190218_171858.jpg

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do not door knock . There is no faster way to get a no .Interrupting someone in their home with out knowing what they are doing will get you a no just to get rid of you . Wait til the home owner is mowing or working outside .Leave everything in the car . Ask to detect , if it is a no ask if they need any help that you would trade some labor to detect . This way the home owner gets something in return . If still a no move on .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread