Lost ring search

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Began with Bounty Hunter, Now have AT Pro and AT Max.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...…..depends on how young and able you are.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd recommend you grid the area using stakes and twine and slowly search every square foot. Take your time and really analyze every signal. What I run into when looking for a ring is the person that lost it has a general idea of where they think it is, but they are usually wrong about the exact location. Yes, you will be digging a lot of signals but keep in mind, the ring won't be very deep, hopefully around 1 to 2 inches.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to ask what it's made of. That will help you to narrow down what you should be listening for. Also it would be best to use NO discrimination.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck if its a lady's wedding band it will probably be low VDI I 2nd the NO discrimination advice. Probably going to be in the 40-45 range though.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start by digging everything 40-58 . Generally rings will hit a narrow vdi whereas junk will bounce more up and down the meter. Of course if theres junk really close or under the ring or the ring is on its side (or cut open) it could skew the numbers any which way even into the iron range.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All my gold finds came in with a solid or tight target ID number only varying by a digit at the most.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What TBuckets said.
Dig gold numbers first, maybe you'll get lucky.
If not, expand the range of numbers to dig,maybe 30 to 70 and work your way to no discrim if you have to.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO:

You need to grid the entire area with flags (Lowe's flags package around $10 dollars) marking each area. You are using the AT Pro so start digging signals +/- 45
to 60 first, but be aware I've found gold rings above (69) and below (38) these numbers. I believe the item will be no deeper than 2 inches, so think and dig shallow. Also, Loco-Digger had it right...the ring will have a "roundness and solidness" to it and the number will lock on. You will know what we mean when you find it.
Lastly, most of the recoveries I've made were NOT where they said it was lost, so keep that in mind.

Good Luck and let us know of your outcome!

OP
OP
S

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all! She had other rings to gage off of so that helped...but. I needed an AT Pro pro with me! I dug so much can slaw and tin I thought I was at a dump! A sunkist whole can locked on just like one of the rings! I know that I will know when I come across it, I just don't want to miss it .. and so I dig. No luck this time! I appreciate all the tips, very helpful! 20190119_094634.jpg it wasn't all can slaw

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep at it, if its there you will find it!
Just don't dig the deep stuff yet! I believe the item will be 1" -2"max, unless they have move some dirt around!

Good Luck...

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back off on the sensitivity till you only heart a ring about that size 1 inch . Swing BOTH ways flat on the ground before you move a step
Good luck keep us posted.

Last edited:

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a probe?
If not, use a screwdriver or ice pick.
When you hit a target, probe it.
Save you diggin.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recovered gold rings using the AT PRO
Man's chunky yellow 14 kt wedding band "65"
Thin man's 14 kt yellow gold and onyx ring. "51"
Woman's yellow and white 14 kt wedding band "63"
Numerous silver rings which all ring in from 83 to 85.
I hunted in the Pro Zero mode with sensitivity 2 bars down and ground balance at 84.
Good luck.

OP
OP
S

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have recovered gold rings using the AT PRO
Man's chunky yellow 14 kt wedding band "65"
Thin man's 14 kt yellow gold and onyx ring. "51"
Woman's yellow and white 14 kt wedding band "63"
Numerous silver rings which all ring in from 83 to 85.
I hunted in the Pro Zero mode with sensitivity 2 bars down and ground balance at 84.
Good luck.

Thank you that will help a lot.

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if it is a wedding ring is there the counterpart available? Check it for it's ID! I was very lucky to find my hunting buddies wedding band about 3 weeks ago or so. It was lost for more than a year. I was using the Equinox 800. The ring is Gold and came in with a clean 14. Very destinctive. If I was to look for a ring again I would first try to get the counterpart and scan it right on the surface, then 2 inches deep, then sitting on it's edge. The IDs I would write down and descriminate out all the rest. At least with my Nox 800. Can't say anything about other machines. This would at least be my tactique. Good luck to you! It is a very good feeling finding something a person lost and even a better one returning the item to him/her.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread