Which detector is best for my needs?

smalay

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, new to the site, and fairly new to detecting. I am going to purchase a new detector, and want opinions on what I should get. My options are garrett at pro, garrett sea hunter mark ii, and the Tesoro sand shark. I live in Missouri, and plan on using it while boating on the Mississippi river on beaches/sand bars, etc., but we also go down to florida for two week vacations, and I would like to detect there also. I don't scuba dive, but do snorkel, but it will mainly be used ON the beach so the max water depth it can be used in doesn't really matter to me. I know there are limitations with the At pro as far as saltwater use, were the other two would be fine to use on wet salt beaches. So I plan on using it for both freshwater and saltwater use, so what do you think my best options are? I only plan on buying a single detector, so I don't want to buy one for fresh and one for salt. Thanks for the opinions.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another thing that pushed me towards the AT line was the interchangeable coils that are very reasonably priced. I have a 15’, 13’, 11” and a 5.5” and I plan on getting the 8.5” this spring

You could have a 2" coil on the AT series and the EQ with the 11" will out seperate it. My F75 is a faster machine than the AT stuff and the Equinox will dust the Fisher.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could have a 2" coil on the AT series and the EQ with the 11" will out seperate it. My F75 is a faster machine than the AT stuff and the Equinox will dust the Fisher.

Thats a big 10-4

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Those must be some fast machines. Does this mean you can sweep or swing very fast and still get a good hit on something like a screw through a dime? I can hear a coin literally touching iron with my at pro but I have to go slow.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for your opinions, I am going to get the minilab equinox 600.

I really don't believe you will regret buying the Equinox 600. It's a very good machine.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those must be some fast machines. Does this mean you can sweep or swing very fast and still get a good hit on something like a screw through a dime? I can hear a coin literally touching iron with my at pro but I have to go slow.

I've hunted right next to AT pros with my 800 and there is no comparison. You can't put the older platform machines up against the new stuff. They don't compete.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That being said, you still have to get the coil over the target and know what your machine is telling you. Don't discount blind, stupid luck either! I've seen some amazing finds made by newbies with the cheapest POS out there. :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread