Which detector is best for my needs?

smalay

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, new to the site, and fairly new to detecting. I am going to purchase a new detector, and want opinions on what I should get. My options are garrett at pro, garrett sea hunter mark ii, and the Tesoro sand shark. I live in Missouri, and plan on using it while boating on the Mississippi river on beaches/sand bars, etc., but we also go down to florida for two week vacations, and I would like to detect there also. I don't scuba dive, but do snorkel, but it will mainly be used ON the beach so the max water depth it can be used in doesn't really matter to me. I know there are limitations with the At pro as far as saltwater use, were the other two would be fine to use on wet salt beaches. So I plan on using it for both freshwater and saltwater use, so what do you think my best options are? I only plan on buying a single detector, so I don't want to buy one for fresh and one for salt. Thanks for the opinions.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

smalay

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not considered that. Since I am fairly new, I want to keep my budget around 500-700 ish, and these three are the ones that interest me the most.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If choosing between those 3, the sand shark is your best option. Lifetime warranty, fully submersible. But you’ll dig everything. If I could offer a new suggestion, it would be to get the equinox 600, which should fall right in your price range. But I own the Tesoro sand shark and it’s an incredible machine. You won’t miss a thing.

OP
OP
S

smalay

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I will check out the equinox 600. With Tesoro closing their doors, the sand shark might not be as good as an option now, as I was looking at the lifetime warrenty. I am open to other suggestions to other brands/models, just these were the three that caught my interest.

Last edited:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have really enjoyed my AT PRO, easy to use, fully submersible, I have used it in the ocean but I had a difficult time with it in the water but no issues hunting the wet sand. But detectors are like cars some like Fords others Chevys. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If you live in the big city and or have a local dealer I suggest trying each machine out before you buy.

SnohomishDigger

Greenie
Dec 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not considered that. Since I am fairly new, I want to keep my budget around 500-700 ish, and these three are the ones that interest me the most.

The Equinox 600 falls into that range.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Equinox 600 and a pair of Gray Ghost waterproof headphones for $160. Since you want fresh and salt water use, I think it's your best bang for your buck. The best part is you can also still clean house with it on land.

OP
OP
S

smalay

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am starting to lean toward the equinox 600 for the fresh and saltwater use, and also using it on land also.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to second the recommendation made by xr7ator - try swinging all the machines that interest you before you buy. See which machine feels best, and which machine speaks a language that you understand.

Waterproof machines in your price range:

AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 600
Whites MX Sport
Nokta/Makro Multi Kruzer
Tesoro Sand Shark (PI machine)
AT Max
Sea Hunter II (PI machine)

If a used machine is an option:

Minelab Equinox 800
Nokta/Makro Multi Anfibo
Whites Dual Field (PI machine)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to second the recommendation made by xr7ator - try swinging all the machines that interest you before you buy. See which machine feels best, and which machine speaks a language that you understand.

Waterproof machines in your price range:

AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 600
Whites MX Sport
Nokta/Makro Multi Kruzer
Tesoro Sand Shark (PI machine)
AT Max
Sea Hunter II (PI machine)

If a used machine is an option:

Minelab Equinox 800
Nokta/Makro Multi Anfibo
Whites Dual Field (PI machine)

I'd only swing the machines that match your needs. If your budget is $700 max for a new waterproof machine, you can forget the Multi Kruzer, MX Sport, and AT Max. They're more than $700, albeit, not by much. If you want to hunt a salt water beach in wet sand or water, you need a multifrequency machine or PI detector. If you want discrimination to help avoid digging every nail, staple, nut, bolt and washer, you can eliminate the PI machines. This pretty much leaves the Equinox as the only one that meets all your needs. It's also a better machine than the others listed, IMO.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
For what and where you want to detect, like those above have suggested, the Minelab Equinox 600 fills the bill.
Good luck with your decision!

OP
OP
S

smalay

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your opinions, I am going to get the minilab equinox 600.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
If you set up an AT pro or AT max correctly, they do pretty good in the wet sand, I haven’t tried mine under salt water yet

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Another thing that pushed me towards the AT line was the interchangeable coils that are very reasonably priced. I have a 15’, 13’, 11” and a 5.5” and I plan on getting the 8.5” this spring

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread