Help finding a meterorite

perksx2

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2019
Asheville NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm new on here. i signed up to see if anyone would be interested in helping me find a meteorite that went flying past my head. I know this sounds kind of weird, but, this basketball sized thing? Went flying by me and into the woods behind my house. My girlfriend and I took a quick look but found nothing. I don't own a metal detector and was looking for someone who might like to help me find it. I have a good line on the trajectory and the search area shouldn't be very large.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing to think about,did you hear or see it hit ground.metorites are traveling around 25,000 miles an hour.blink your eyes and its 10 miles away.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
One thing to think about,did you hear or see it hit ground.metorites are traveling around 25,000 miles an hour.blink your eyes and its 10 miles away.
Yep, as a kid "one flew over my head" on fire and I heard it. Thought I could see where it landed..ran to the other side of the house and it was gone. I went looking for it the next day...lol I live in SWMO and it landed in the middle of Texas according to that night's local news.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you deaf? It likely would have produced a sonic wave that would have been substantial up close.

My wife and I had one that passed "over our heads", changing from orange to green, really spectacular, but likely any pieces landed 250 miles or more away in the Atlantic.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I might of saw the same one charlie.I remember that we were in the tail end of a hurricane.we were still having some pretty good winds.this was years ago.at night i went out and was looking up,and guess what went by.over in less than a second.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elusive and probobly broke into millions of pieces or burned up

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from MI you can rent a detector cheap

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm new on here. i signed up to see if anyone would be interested in helping me find a meteorite that went flying past my head...Thanks.
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! You might consider posting this request closer to your home. Take a look at Forum: North Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I'm new on here. i signed up to see if anyone would be interested in helping me find a meteorite that went flying past my head. I know this sounds kind of weird, but, this basketball sized thing? Went flying by me and into the woods behind my house. My girlfriend and I took a quick look but found nothing. I don't own a metal detector and was looking for someone who might like to help me find it. I have a good line on the trajectory and the search area shouldn't be very large.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! A meteorite the size of a basketball flying by you? You must have wet your pants! I suggest you simply go look for it. From the trajectory you describe, at 200-mph it would have skipped and rolled, not buried itself. Should be a mark or five in the leaves and ground. Sounds to me more like a piece of aircraft, or "blue ice." :skullflag:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something that size, traveling at "meteor" speed, would either leave one hell of a hole, or made one hell or a path....depending on the entry angle. I suspect it was something else, or.......maybe we've entered.......the Twilight Zone! :laughing7:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Get or borrow a friends drone with a camera and fly it all over the suspected target area. If it’s still local you should be able to find it or it’s path on the ground.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I might of saw the same one charlie.I remember that we were in the tail end of a hurricane.we were still having some pretty good winds.this was years ago.at night i went out and was looking up,and guess what went by.over in less than a second.

It would have been sometime between 2000 and 2005, May to September. THE ADMIRAL and I were traveling north on Rt 81 just above Cortland and it would have been around 6:30 PM - directly north of us, about 40 degrees above horizontal; heading west to east (so very possibly over New Hampshire after that). I was driving and it was right where I was looking when it started. And almost definitely a Saturday. The whole "event" took maybe seven seconds but I can still visualize it. VERY memorable.

I can give these details because we had a pretty set routine when we kept our boat up at Sackets Harbor.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Think it could of been.where i was it was fairly low,but it was moving.my place at the time was surrounded partially by tall trees.

OP
OP
P

perksx2

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2019
Asheville NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard it as it went by, was making a strange sound. Like air hitting it, must not have been perfectly round? I didn't hear it hit because my dog was going crazy and couldn't hear once it got past me. It lit up the whole forest. I could see it right at ground level about fifty yards past me.

OP
OP
P

perksx2

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2019
Asheville NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol, it could be the twilight zone. It could have been blue ice, whatever that is? Sorry I would have responded earlier, still figuring this site out.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possibly ball lightning.

Figure the Earth is moving around the sun at 67,000 miles per hour; so even a piece of a meteor sitting still in space when we get there comes in at 67,000 mph. That's FAST. That's why they only last a second even when skimming the upper atmosphere. They are actually slowing down some when they hit the lower atmosphere.

OP
OP
P

perksx2

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2019
Asheville NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, just figuring out how to use this site. Would have responded sooner. I just about did wet my pants. At first I thought it was going to hit me, lol. It came flying past me about thirty yards to my right and probably twenty feet above me. Someone on here mentioned the sonic wave would have hit me? I had my house in front of me? was on my back porch. I really don't know what it was, made the strangest noise. Good sized fire ball, lit up all of the forest behind my house. I guess it might have been a piece of aircraft, but the size of it you would think would have brought the plane down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions