Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone tried these batteries? I picked them up at Dollar Tree for $1 a pack. How bad can they be anyway? I will try them in a pinpointer. 20190129_125807.jpeg

Upvote 0

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
NiMH batteries are better than NiCad but they still go bad over time. Lithium ion batteries are the next generation.

You're right that the Li-ion have their good points too, but no battery is perfect as even these diminish with time.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
@Jeff, I can't say for certain what the problem is you are experiencing, but the batteries sound as if they're old and ready to die. Even rechargeables eventually die. I can't rule out that you got some bad batteries as it does happen or it could be something wrong in the charging process. Finding out can be expensive so go with what you know.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
duracell costco dollar batteries you get what you pay for dint use rechargables in a pin pointer either

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, NiCads are the ones that have a memory problem. NiMH do much better and have a higher capacity. The NiMHs that come fully charged or precharged are of a longer lasting formula for storage of the cells. In any case, a quality charger should be used.

I forgot to add to buy ones with a base voltage of 9.6v as the other voltages of 8.4v and 7.2v will not power your stuff sufficiently even though the batteries are not technically dead.
Which batteries have you found with that voltage? All the NiMH I found are lower. What voltage are they after say an hour of use?

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Which batteries have you found with that voltage? All the NiMH I found are lower. What voltage are they after say an hour of use?

See my post #19. The voltage is a nominal 9.6v, but it will be a bit higher after an hour of use coming off of a full charge. Even alkalines are a bit higher than their stated voltage for quite some time. BTW, you can find this battery at B&H for $10.95.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See my post #19. The voltage is a nominal 9.6v, but it will be a bit higher after an hour of use coming off of a full charge. Even alkalines are a bit higher than their stated voltage for quite some time. BTW, you can find this battery at B&H for $10.95.
Sorry, I missed it. The Tenergy ones I have are 250 mAh so they may be the same. I just have never put a meter on them. They were recommended by several CZ21 users so I bought a couple of sets. I just haven't used them much yet. Screenshot_20190207-063339_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those work. Rechargeable are nice but have found my detectors and pp work different. I try to run Duracell when possible, but every day hunts I just use the cheapest battery's I can find. I will say the only fault with cheap battery's is they leak so I never leave them in my machines. I would say always have a back up. I will say I have had the best luck with Duracell. But unlike my F75 that gets a lot of swing time on Duracells, my AT Pro gets just a few hours or about one hunt with any battery. My rechargables for my Etrac last about 4 hours, I have considered investing in the new dnb batts for my etrac. Hope this helps someone.

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those work. Rechargeable are nice but have found my detectors and pp work different. I try to run Duracell when possible, but every day hunts I just use the cheapest battery's I can find. I will say the only fault with cheap battery's is they leak so I never leave them in my machines. I would say always have a back up. I will say I have had the best luck with Duracell. But unlike my F75 that gets a lot of swing time on Duracells, my AT Pro gets just a few hours or about one hunt with any battery. My rechargables for my Etrac last about 4 hours, I have considered investing in the new dnb batts for my etrac. Hope this helps someone.
My experience with Duracells has been all bad. As I've said before I have lost several devices due to them leaking, much more than any other brand. They work fine as long as they are new but if I forget them in something like a flashlight for a few months and they will leak and a light without batteries in an emergency is useless.

If I'm not going to use my detectors for any more than a week or so the batteries are taken out just to be sure.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
My experience with Duracells has been all bad. As I've said before I have lost several devices due to them leaking, much more than any other brand. They work fine as long as they are new but if I forget them in something like a flashlight for a few months and they will leak and a light without batteries in an emergency is useless.

If I'm not going to use my detectors for any more than a week or so the batteries are taken out just to be sure.

I concur with your experiences with Duracells. I lost a very expensive flashlight due to leakage that occurred 1 month after I bought it and the batteries were supplied by the flashlight manufacturer (Maglite) to boot. Maglite offered to replace the batteries in the same flashlight and as a result I dropped both companies.

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concur with your experiences with Duracells. I lost a very expensive flashlight due to leakage that occurred 1 month after I bought it and the batteries were supplied by the flashlight manufacturer (Maglite) to boot. Maglite offered to replace the batteries in the same flashlight and as a result I dropped both companies.
I was able to save my large Maglite even though it is a bit corroded but I've lost 2 AA maglites and a AAA model that were so corroded I couldn't even pound the batteries out. They were just a few months old. I've also had a boom box damaged. For pricy batteries they don't hold up well at all.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Maglite offered to replace the batteries in the same flashlight and as a result I dropped both companies.

I guess I should elaborate on this as Maglite under warranty said they would not replace the flashlight and that they were going to put the same duracells in it. I asked what if it happens again and they said send it in and they will get them out while returning the same light back to me with more duracells until the warranty on the flashlight expired. So this meant the flashlight wouldn't be around most of the time being at the manufacturer's place and in transit, plus being unreliable due to corrosive damages. No thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread