Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone tried these batteries? I picked them up at Dollar Tree for $1 a pack. How bad can they be anyway? I will try them in a pinpointer. 20190129_125807.jpeg

Upvote 0

SnohomishDigger

Greenie
Dec 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I tried off-brand 9v batteries in my Garrett Carrot, they lasted about one hunt - usually a 6-7 hr outing.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
They suck. If you get two hunts in using just one battery, you're doing well. Ray O Vacs are the way to go. Lowes has them on sale once or twice a year. $10 for a 12 pack on 9v's. Ray O vac is the brand that says they last as long as the two big names and I believe them. Yet, they are much less in cost.

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They suck. If you get two hunts in using just one battery, you're doing well. Ray O Vacs are the way to go. Lowes has them on sale once or twice a year. $10 for a 12 pack on 9v's. Ray O vac is the brand that says they last as long as the two big names and I believe them. Yet, they are much less in cost.
I've used them before and they do last well. I've never seen that deal before but I'll be looking for it. Thanks for the heads up. My local supermarket has Duracell and Energizer for $7.50/2 pack. That's a bit high I thought.

I won't ever buy Duracell again. I have ruined several lights and devices from them leaking. Much more than any other brand.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted a while back about the Lowes sale. Picked up a 60 pack of Ray-O-Vac AA. Can't beat the price.

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted a while back about the Lowes sale. Picked up a 60 pack of Ray-O-Vac AA. Can't beat the price.
I usually get my AAs at Sam's Club. They are reasonably priced and last very well.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I use Duracell Only. But I do take them out after each use in anything not used weekly and personally have never had them leak.

Kace

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Duracell Only. But I do take them out after each use in anything not used weekly and personally have never had them leak.

Kace
That might make the difference but flashlights aren't much use in an emergency or power outage with no batteries in them, kinda like an unloaded firearm. I've lost 3-4 maglights and a radio or two from leaking Duracells. Only one device damaged from any other brand and that battery was very old.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used them in a jam and they last about 1 to 1.5 hunts. I noticed they would for whatever reason almost always be dead if I left my pinpointer in the truck for a week. (hot/cold) not sure? either way I got frustrated enough to try something better.
I actually just picked up a 9volt rayovac lithium and I am curious to see how it holds up this year. It wasn't cheap at $9 dollars I could have 20 of those so maybe not the best money spent..well see

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem I see is they are Heavy Duty Not Alkaline.
I've never had luck with Heavy Duty Batteries lasting more then a Day.

I Picked up a Box of these the end of Last year.
Haven't been able to Gauge how long they last yet,
But I like they are Alkaline.
Not sure if they are Real Duracell, or Generic Duracell's Or Counterfeits.
But I like the price

000aaa.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duracell-P...=item260fdcf8d3:g:Jd4AAOSwyTtcM9fS:rk:30:pf:0

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Santa brings me a 60 pack of AAs every other year and a 12 pack of 9Vs every Christmas. I'm easy to shop for.

Junkironkid

Mar 23, 2012
MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem I see is they are Heavy Duty Not Alkaline.
I've never had luck with Heavy Duty Batteries lasting more then a Day.

I Picked up a Box of these the end of Last year.
Haven't been able to Gauge how long they last yet,
But I like they are Alkaline.
Not sure if they are Real Duracell, or Generic Duracell's Or Counterfeits.
But I like the price

View attachment 1675916

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duracell-P...=item260fdcf8d3:g:Jd4AAOSwyTtcM9fS:rk:30:pf:0
Jeff those are the real deal. I’ve used those before and I get good run times.

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried them. They only lasted a few hours.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use rechargeable now, but before that the best and longest lasting for the price were the batteries at Dollar General.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use rechargeable EB 600 batteries! :occasion14: last a few hunts, but recharge after each hunt now! I have one in the pin pointer an carry two in my back-pack, usually to loan to my friend who seems to always have a dead battery! :tongue3:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Problem with Rechargeable's Getting a Memory,
Or just Going Bad. Even The Minelab Rechargeable's that are not Supposed to Get memories
barely give me 2 Hours on a full charge. so I've switched to Alkaline's for a better chance of Steady Power

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff, NiCads are the ones that have a memory problem. NiMH do much better and have a higher capacity. The NiMHs that come fully charged or precharged are of a longer lasting formula for storage of the cells. In any case, a quality charger should be used.

I forgot to add to buy ones with a base voltage of 9.6v as the other voltages of 8.4v and 7.2v will not power your stuff sufficiently even though the batteries are not technically dead.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, NiCads are the ones that have a memory problem. NiMH do much better and have a higher capacity. The NiMHs that come fully charged or precharged are of a longer lasting formula for storage of the cells. In any case, a quality charger should be used.

I forgot to add to buy ones with a base voltage of 9.6v as the other voltages of 8.4v and 7.2v will not power your stuff sufficiently even though the batteries are not technically dead.

The Minelab Batteries are
NiMH

https://www.amazon.com/Minelab-Batt...ocphy=9006653&hvtargid=pla-319503383011&psc=1

They still don't Hold a Charge anymore.

12 Hour Charge Nets about 2 Hours Use. if I'm Lucky.
& If I start with 2 Hours Worth of Batteries 30 minutes in they are 1/4 of the way Dead already.

If it sits for 2 Days after the Charge, & I Go out, I Usually end up Loading a Dead Rechargebale
Or walk into the Field & Have to Walk back to the Vehicle for Alkalines 3 Minutes into my hunt.

I Gave up on Trusting any Rechargeables considering Price.

Plus the chargers Don't last Either.

Of Course I Just Purchased another Explorer Last Year
that came with a Rechargeable. But No idea on it.

I'm more Comfortable Buying Alkalines off ebay Bulk these days.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread