Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

SnohomishDigger

Greenie
Dec 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had the most luck working the fringes of the greens. Edges of the tee boxes are pretty good too. Try to find the spots where carts pull off of paths to park for tee off or putting. Don’t forget to search any grass around the club house or cart shed.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old greens. Golfers use to mark their balls with dimes. When I used to caddy, I remember seeing a lot of them just toss the dimes or miss their pockets. And if there was a caddyshack...definitely check there. We used to do LOTSA gambling in and around ours and there was always the occasional knockdown drag out fight. If it was an 18-hole, there was probably a halfway house around the 9th or 10th. Lotsa cash passed around there.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get it let me know! I live in the same area and would love to go with you. I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to build houses there when older houses were condemned for being over mine shafts! I loved playing that course.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found more rings in the fairways than near the greens, where I find more silver coins.:skullflag:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck on your 18-hole search! :icon_thumleft:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got on one on really historic ground as it was being bulldozed and reworked. I didn't find a thing but a few pull tabs and trash and odds and ends which told me I wasn't the first guy itching to get out there. It sucks when you're sure you're going to get into it and there's nothing out there. I didn't have permission except a friends yard that backs up to the course so that counts right? Funny thing I found a half cent in his yard that got me excited the course a few feet away would have something. Best of luck.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An old golf course was recently (1 year ago) opened as a park - I found a walker, but other who were there early got many great coins.

Marker coins were found too - like large foreign coppers, ect.

Areas near the greens were best!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golf tee off area where they reach in thier pocket to pull out a tee

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Old greens. Golfers use to mark their balls with dimes. When I used to caddy, I remember seeing a lot of them just toss the dimes or miss their pockets. And if there was a caddyshack...definitely check there. We used to do LOTSA gambling in and around ours and there was always the occasional knockdown drag out fight. If it was an 18-hole, there was probably a halfway house around the 9th or 10th. Lotsa cash passed around there.

Ah, the great memories of being a caddy. The movie wasn't too far off the mark. Younger kids got harassed, always at least one guy who thought he was a real "hood", and lots of gambling with our hard earned money. Our caddy shack was close to the club pool, so we used to sneak glimpses of the rich girls whose Daddy's were members. LOL.
HH
dts

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its been awhile since I hit one - but I got some nice wedding bands and did alright with old silver too
Ive been told of other lost wedding bands at other courses but some are still in operation and aren't gonna let me dig
hit it all over and see if theres a pattern to your finds - you never know - guys good lose change taking a tee out of their pocket
ive heard of guys losing rings while throwing their ball out of frustration or because ball got damaged - like others said - guys used to use barber dimes to mark balls yrs ago

suberdave

May 22, 2012
Eagle Rock CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if its the same course I'm thinking of, but the one I know of use to be a camp that housed Japanese before moving them to an internment camps. It sucks because there are no plaques or anything about the history of the land.

suberdave

May 22, 2012
Eagle Rock CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I happened down a public fire road and found myself in the golf course. Found a 1942 Wheatie. Other than that nothing to write home about.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave up on asking for permission. Seems like people with super manicured lawns think we are going to do more damage to their grass than these lousy golfers.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the most stuff between the cart path and the tee boxes, where they park the carts at the beginning of each hole. I find a lot of change near the halfway house. Look for large trees across the cart path near the tee boxes. Guys will go there to take a leak after a few beers. Always seems to be a lot of stuff around them. You will know the tree when you see it.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Had a friend loss his wedding ring after taking his glove off at the 18th green. Suggest looking around the 9th and 18th greens and between those greens and club house.

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on the golf course permission ... denied! Liability concerns. Heavy sadness.

All of my contact with the company that owns the now-defunct course has been via phone with a very nice lady in the office who is, apparently, in charge of that property ... or, at least, in charge of answering questions about it. When I spoke with her this morning and was rejected, I thanked her kindly for her time.

My question: Should I contact the company owner/president with a written request indicating that I would hold them harmless for any accident I may have or any injuries I may receive (as small as those odds are)? Have y'all had any luck with a follow-up to a rejected request? Do you have any specific language you use in your requests showing that you have no interest in law suits but only in detecting the area?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread