Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: BLM Land in CA

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2019
    12 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

BLM Land in CA

Hey all,

Iíve been trying to get a good answer and my results have been mixed enough for me to post a question on here for you experts...

Can we metal detect on BLM land in California?

Thank you!
    A2coins likes this.

us
    May 2014
    Central California
    Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
    1415 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yes, BLM land is open for detecting.

us
    Sep 2015
    Brawley
    ,Minelab Equinox 800, GGT Sluice, Keene 212v Dry Washer
    188 times
    Who owns it ?. If you ask me I say YES...permission granted!
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2899 times
    Never had a problem on BLM land, although, California IS a foreign country.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9881 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Yes. BLM land is fair game. Not just in CA, but all BLM land in other states too. I have the link on my other 'puter at work, that gives the express allowance for it. Thus, not just "silent on the subject" (hence, not forbidden), but with an ACTUAL EXPRESS ALLOWANCE, mentioning it by name.

However, here's the dirty little secret bugaboo : It's only in-so-far as it's within the scope of ARPA. Which could define "artifacts" as items 50 yrs. old, or older. So in other words, you can't find old coins. New coins, nuggets, jewelry, meteorites, etc.... = Fine. Have at it. Express allowance.

And I'll have to tell you: In my 40+ yrs of this, I have NEVER had anyone, armed with a calculator, come up and start doing the math on the ages of coins that I'd found. Nor is my math very good.

This express allowance , of course, would NOT work for an obvious historic sensitive monument on BLM . If/when nosy-parkers were around. Thus, sure: Use common sense on when to apply this express allowance. But for "middle of nowhere" type locations: I have never had any problem, never been asked what I'm finding, etc.. (heck, never see another soul).
    Nick79, A2coins, Ryano and 5 others like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Jan 2019
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Yes. BLM land is fair game. Not just in CA, but all BLM land in other states too. I have the link on my other 'puter at work, that gives the express allowance for it. Thus, not just "silent on the subject" (hence, not forbidden), but with an ACTUAL EXPRESS ALLOWANCE, mentioning it by name.

However, here's the dirty little secret bugaboo : It's only in-so-far as it's within the scope of ARPA. Which could define "artifacts" as items 50 yrs. old, or older. So in other words, you can't find old coins. New coins, nuggets, jewelry, meteorites, etc.... = Fine. Have at it. Express allowance.

And I'll have to tell you: In my 40+ yrs of this, I have NEVER had anyone, armed with a calculator, come up and start doing the math on the ages of coins that I'd found. Nor is my math very good.

This express allowance , of course, would NOT work for an obvious historic sensitive monument on BLM . If/when nosy-parkers were around. Thus, sure: Use common sense on when to apply this express allowance. But for "middle of nowhere" type locations: I have never had any problem, never been asked what I'm finding, etc.. (heck, never see another soul).
    Thank you Tom! I live in Galt and have found several BLM sites on a map, only to drive there and see a sign ďArea closed beyond this signĒ.

I have a few others mapped and ready to try but the real trick is how to access these lands!

Thank you all for your replies!
    RustyGold and A2coins like this.

us
    Oct 2006
    2495 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjvalleyhunter View Post
    Yes, BLM land is open for detecting.
    strange but i got kicked out of Squaws Leap years ago cause it was BLM .
    A2coins likes this.

us
    May 2014
    Central California
    Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
    1415 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by aa battery View Post
    Probably by an uneducated law enforcement officer. Just my guess. Were you given a reason?
    A2coins and sprailroad like this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    9881 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Are you referring to this encounter ? :

Squaws Leap Ca.

If so, that was not a case of "kicked out", was it ? That was a case of "asked ahead, and got the safe answer" routine.

I realize some folks might say: " What's the difference ? A 'no' and a 'scram' amount to the same thing after all" Eh ? Thus the source of the lady's "no" might be a moot point. So let me say this :

ANY time an md'r fetches a "no" or a "scram" on public land, does not necessarily constitute gospel law. I mean, sure, give "lip service" at the time. But going forward, I do not necessarily construe any stink eye or bad-hair-day "no", to constitute law. NOT unless I found something that truly said "no md'ing" in actual rules/laws.

Hence someone might ask: "Why not argue with the lady, show her the chapter and verse, etc... ?" Here's why: Because they can use various ancillary verbiage to say it violates something else. Eg.: Harvest and remove. Or alter and deface. Or cultural heritage, etc... You can certainly try to debate them on that (especially in the case of BLM, which has an express allowance). But if you ask me, I'd just give lip service, and come back later when the singular busy-body isn't around. Some people might call that "sneaking around". Ok, fine then: sneak around

Jan 2019
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Are you referring to this encounter ? :

Squaws Leap Ca.

If so, that was not a case of "kicked out", was it ? That was a case of "asked ahead, and got the safe answer" routine.

I realize some folks might say: " What's the difference ? A 'no' and a 'scram' amount to the same thing after all" Eh ? Thus the source of the lady's "no" might be a moot point. So let me say this :

ANY time an md'r fetches a "no" or a "scram" on public land, does not necessarily constitute gospel law. I mean, sure, give "lip service" at the time. But going forward, I do not necessarily construe any stink eye or bad-hair-day "no", to constitute law. NOT unless I found something that truly said "no md'ing" in actual rules/laws.

Hence someone might ask: "Why not argue with the lady, show her the chapter and verse, etc... ?" Here's why: Because they can use various ancillary verbiage to say it violates something else. Eg.: Harvest and remove. Or alter and deface. Or cultural heritage, etc... You can certainly try to debate them on that (especially in the case of BLM, which has an express allowance). But if you ask me, I'd just give lip service, and come back later when the singular busy-body isn't around. Some people might call that "sneaking around". Ok, fine then: sneak around
    I agree. If you are right, you are right. That doesnít mean itís best to argue and prove it right then and there. She most likely left and Googled it or asked someone and realized she was wrong. But if you leave someone with a good impression about metal detectorists, it will only improve our public perception, even in the slightest. And like Tom said, if she loses that pissing contest, she will more likely look at another way to stop MD.
    A2coins and sprailroad like this.

us
    Oct 2006
    2495 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjvalleyhunter View Post
    Probably by an uneducated law enforcement officer. Just my guess. Were you given a reason?
    women dont give reasons.

Jan 2019
    12 times
    women dont give reasons.
    You have met my wife?
    Tom_in_CA and aa battery like this.

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    4255 times
    My brother and I have detected there for gold with no issues.We were carrying pans and a small shovel also besides just the detector so maybe it was considered part of our looking for gold tools.
    back of the boat

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    9881 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by BootyBros View Post
    .... She most likely left and Googled it or asked someone and realized she was wrong.....
    Or how about this scenario: When the "pressing question" crossed her desk, she picked up the phone, called the purist archie in state capitol over her division. And .... you know what purist archies think of detectors, right. Nevermind that probably only 1 person in 5 million persons is a "purist archie (so what are the odds that you'd ever bump into them ?) . But this is EXACTLY the type person's desks, that these "pressing questions" land on.

And sure, like you say, we can enter into a pissing match with this type of mindset, if you want. And try to show them (in this case) the express allowance. But do you *really* think you will win that pissing match ? OF COURSE NOT. And EVEN IF YOU DID, guess what will happen next ? : The "pressing matter" will be proposed as a suggested new rule to implement.

Thus: Why wear a giant bullseye on yourself ? Why swat hornet's nests ? If only 1 person in 5 million cares less, then: Simply avoid that singular person. You will NEVER get red carpets rolled out for you, from every last person on the planet.
    sprailroad likes this.

us
    Aug 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    NOX 800
    83 times
    Just make sure it is not an assault detector. Doesn't hold more then 10 batteries, is registered, and CARB certified.
    sprailroad likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links