Stacked Stones (Pics)

FlagCraig

Jan 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am doing metal detecting on an 1860 farmhouse and surrounding property (middle TN).

In many places I am finding stacked stones. Many near multiple trees and some just in certain areas.

Any ideas on why.

Thanks.
StonesOne.jpg StonesTwo.jpg

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am doing metal detecting on an 1860 farmhouse and surrounding property (middle TN).

In many places I am finding stacked stones. Many near multiple trees and some just in certain areas.

Any ideas on why.

Thanks.
View attachment 1678059 View attachment 1678060

had to put the stones from clearing the fields somewhere. otherwise you keep breaking your plow and blades, some were just hucked into piles, others were stacked into walls, others lined gardens or outlined trees, the nice ones became part of the house foundation. Hard work making land farmable.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll second what Tpmetal said.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would still dig it could be some old bills lol

kc8ubw

Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 and Discover 2000.
Just moved from West Michigan. We were close to the old Big Prairie Desert. Property was sand, rocks and cactus.
After we bought the property I explored a bit and I noticed stacks of rocks here and there. I mentioned this to one of the area old timers and he told me that long ago landowners would stack stones to mark property borders. Also that if I found small piles of rocks that signified something of interest to whomever piled them, ie: spot where a deer was harvested, etc.
Then too as someone pointed out when clearing fields the rocks had to go someplace.
DAMN I miss that place.

OP
OP
F

FlagCraig

Jan 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had to put the stones from clearing the fields somewhere. otherwise you keep breaking your plow and blades, some were just hucked into piles, others were stacked into walls, others lined gardens or outlined trees, the nice ones became part of the house foundation. Hard work making land farmable.

This makes sense. Probably should have figured that out.

Also when I have been deep in the woods I have found the stack stones mostly against trees.
Could this be to mark a spot for some reason?

Thanks.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This makes sense. Probably should have figured that out.

Also when I have been deep in the woods I have found the stack stones mostly against trees.
Could this be to mark a spot for some reason?

Thanks.

If it's only one tree in the area, then maybe a marker of some sort. Sometimes tree roots push up rocks around trees as well in certain ground conditions.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with all that's been said. Some of our misc. piles of rocks in VA are old Civil War huts.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stacks of stones are ideal places to run your detector over to look for meteorites...

chub

Lost_Adams

Apr 28, 2011
Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Garrett 70's Ground Hog, 80's Master Hunter III, '96 Scorpion Gold Stinger. 98 Tiger Shark, 07 SD2200V2, '14 TDI SL, Discovery TF 900, 1975 Carl Anderson Dowsing, Magnetometer, Arc Geo Logger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with all the above. When I was building Forest Service Trails in the '70s-'90s, I would pile/stack rock on the down side of the trail to help shore it up.
IF You get a GUT Feeling about something while in the field, Then I would recommend checking it out. If you find Nothing then that place is scratched off your list. If you Don't then it will always be a Question in the back of your mind and keep bugging you for not checking it out.
That is the worst kind of mental torture, especially if the Target Area is at a remote location.
It's the same as what Lucille Bowen and Charles Garrett said back in the 90's when She was teaching me to metal detect. I also used the Discrimination Button in my Head (eyeball) to tell me what I had detected. The Only 100% method is the Eyeball on the target in your hand. Charles said in his manual for the Scorpion Gold Stinger that it would take 100 hours to learn the machine so you had confidence in your machine. Lucy told me to DIG EVERY Target till I could tell reasonably what was in the ground by the sound. After a couple of months using the Scorpion I was over 4000 coins a month. This number was what was required to enter the Big Boys Contest at the North West Treasure Hunters club meetings.
I sure Miss those days in Spokane and around there, especially the 49 North Ski Area. We got up there when the snow was melted down to 1" deep and All the coins and Jewelry were in little melted circles. We Eye Balled $40 in coins and bunches of jewelry. We were at the upper lift tower.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tpmetal "hit the nail on the head" :occasion14:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see a few random large stones by larger trees often in the old woods. I assume these were lifted to the surface by the tree growth. I sometimes see random piles in the woods and assume they were moved and discarded there by farmers a century ago. Actual stacked stones for a foundation (1800’s) are usually still identifiable in my parts. What throws me off is I often find tree limbs stacked in piles or somewhat organized limbs leaning against trees deep in the old woods. I always wonder if these are occurring naturally, by hunters or other MD’ers clearing some swinging ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread