First Detector

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, isn’t my actual first. I have a nugget detector, but I need a new one. I’m looking for a big boy detector, not a beginner one. I’m going to be trained by some local clubs up here. I need one that’s good with gold and old mining relics and whatnot. I’m usually searching in worked over mining claims, but also in the middle of nowhere on untouched land. Any recommendations would be awesome. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus with the HF coil will be good down to 14kh for relics/coins and up to 74kh for gold.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, isn’t my actual first. I have a nugget detector, but I need a new one. I’m looking for a big boy detector, not a beginner one. I’m going to be trained by some local clubs up here. I need one that’s good with gold and old mining relics and whatnot. I’m usually searching in worked over mining claims, but also in the middle of nowhere on untouched land. Any recommendations would be awesome. Thanks!
One suggestion would be, start by asking the people who are doing the training. Maybe see what they recommend for your area. They should know what will be the best for your locale and target. Good luck!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really depends on your budget. Minelab makes some high end machines that have price tags in the thousands

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Tinted, you state mining locations will be the hosted areas your going. I would recommend the Fisher F-75 F-70 or the Teknetics T-2 or G-2 these are machines capable of being used as gold machines, especially with the T-2. The beauty to these machines is their older designs (still awesome performance) but the cost has come way down on them.
They can be had at a major savings.
Newer multi frequency designs don't work as well on raw gold as a single higher frequency machine.
This is a reason XP has came out with the ORX to cover the gold application better than the Deus.
Good luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Test them it deoends on what your looking for no nox if your hunting iron or saltwater At if you have hot ground and for coins nox is a good machine once you learn it out of park one or 2 talk to the sales rep like you would getting a car

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Tinted, sorry I missed the fact you already bought a Eq 800 anyway give this a try. Go to "Field 2 mode" Go to "Frequency" set machine to 15kHz single frequency. Go to "Settings" then set ground balance to "Manual" set Thresh hold up to just audible humming. Gold mode on this machine only works 20 or 40 kHz which is a bit high for artifacts and 15kHz penetrates the ground just a bit deeper and your not necessarily gold prospecting these areas, your looking for anything, so this opens up your search a bit while keeping you in the game for gold nuggets.
Forgive me as its been a while since I played with this machine. Hope it helps!
Good Luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tinted, sorry I missed the fact you already bought a Eq 800 anyway give this a try. Go to "Field 2 mode" Go to "Frequency" set machine to 15kHz single frequency. Go to "Settings" then set ground balance to "Manual" set Thresh hold up to just audible humming. Gold mode on this machine only works 20 or 40 kHz which is a bit high for artifacts and 15kHz penetrates the ground just a bit deeper and your not necessarily gold prospecting these areas, your looking for anything, so this opens up your search a bit while keeping you in the game for gold nuggets.
Forgive me as its been a while since I played with this machine. Hope it helps!
Good Luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

Awesome info! I’m going nuts since it’s still winter and will be snow covered for a few more months. Can’t wait to try it out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread