Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Why do vintage old metal detectors still sell for a lot?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    It is what it is, until it "Is" what it is.

Aug 2013
    Northern Utah
    I currently run White's Spectra V3i wireless, Fisher F-70, Garrett AT-Pro, Minelab Etrac. I have owned other Fisher, Teknetics & Garrett models. Hands on with Equinox 800, Garrett AT-Max, & New Chase
    150 times
    Metal Detecting
    Its hard to beat analog at throwing a signal, and throwing it in its same consistency each time. I still look back at my old Red Baron and how well that machine worked in comparison. Really isn't any different then why do people sell or by anything old. If I knew then what I know now, I would have saved all the old farm and old wagon parts on my old family farm from back in the day. Amazed me watching the old barn wood go flying out the door at a yard sale.
    Stay Gold!
    Opie

us
    Aug 2016
    Middleburgh, NY
    Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
    160 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Why do vintage old metal detectors still sell for a lot?

There are many advantages new machines have over older analog. One is the ability to notch out items you don't want (rather than simply disc out in a linear fashion). Another is a lighter, smaller build. There are preset or saved programs for a variety of circumstances, auto tracking, ability to conduct complex timing and subtraction of multiple frequencies etc. Not that you couldn't accomplish many of these things with analog, but such a machine would be increasingly heavy, expensive to manufacture and have an unlimited amount of buttons and dials and switches. I would not wish to be banished back to the good old days of analog machines, and maybe the machine in the ad is going back a bit too far in the lineage, but there's no denying that machines like 5900di SL Pro still have a place in the hobby for the power and quality of their signal, and the preciseness of their adjustments. I still play around with models like that and I've been struck at how effective, fast and deep they are if you get everything tuned in just right. Digital has many advantages, but in some ways is just mimicking or approximating some of what analog machines do.
    Last edited by ☠ Cipher; Feb 22, 2019 at 12:57 PM.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9618 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by ☠ Cipher View Post
    .... there's no denying that machines like 5900di SL Pro still have a place in the hobby for the power and quality of their signal, and the preciseness of their adjustments.....
    Sigh. The 6000 Di SL pro. and the 5900 Di SL pro were awesome machines for their day. I knew guys that swung the 6000 Di pro for the wet salt beach, even up till a few years ago. The refused to switch to anything else. But alas, they began to be a *bit* dated, by some recent introductions, as per raw depth. But for their time, they kicked b#tt all over the place.
    Loco-Digger and Ogre1190 like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links