Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this is an old topic that doesn't warrant discussion. I was cruising the channels this evening and came across Destination America with two shows, "Dig Wars" and "Dig Fellas". Both of these shows have the potential to be interesting but the diggers act like they have never found anything whenever they get a signal. The only thing missing was someone saying, "roundness in the hole!".

Now, I have to admit that I get excited about finding stuff but never to the point of apoplexy. These folks are like a football player who makes a touchdown and acts like they've never seen the end zone.

Still, pretty funny to watch ... once.

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya the prodrucers of those shows think people won't watch them if the digger don't act like total buffoons. In reality I think that hype damages the hobby and actually drives away viewers.
Imagine if those same guys produced Antiques Roadshow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Icewing ... agreed. If people see these shows, several outcomes are possible.

One, everybody and his brother trots out to get a detector of some sort and starts digging - but not refilling - holes everywhere and thinking that everything they find is a priceless treasure.

Two, people watch these shows and think what a bunch of dorks these metal detector people are. That could result in more difficult permissions than already exists.

I'd love to see a show like Antiques Roadshow produced like these shows. Imagine some well dressed, British-accented gentleman losing his mind over a piece of Delft pottery.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a little bit of "Dig Wars", you could see where the dirt was already disturbed before they dug the target. Either the finds were planted or put back and re dug for the camera.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ! I coiuldn't Find "Dig Fellas"

But I did find and set up to Record "Dig Wars"

I remember the Show, but don't remember the Shows contents .
been too long.

"Diggers" Was still my Favorite .

With "Swamp Hunters" a Hysterical Second.

I Think "Swamp Hunters" was created

to make fun of "American Diggers" the show with with the rastler guy.
Because everything was Worth allot of Money & Practically in Mint Condition

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig Fellas just got picked up by Destination America. Only the old episodes they are not making anymore as I believe Howard is MIA.
I agree the TV networks over do it with they hype and kind of lose the point of the hobby. Bill Ladd of Dig Fellas (youtube) has personally released several DVD's about $10 a piece some with Howard that are much better. Just two guys hunting old colonial sites and lots of bottle digging.
Those videos are much better for getting someone interested in the hobby and they double as instructional videos as well.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill Ladd is a sexist, homophobic ass clown who belittles other detectorists and their equipment. There are many other great detectorists who would be more interesting to watch such as Beau or The Hoover Boys.
I'm half tempted to send clips of Ladds homophobic rants to Destination America and ask them if he is who they want representing their network.
And his voice grates on every nerve of my being.

found digfellas by searching it as 1 word.
I think it is on Now.

Sorry ! I Don't believe them.
the finds they made, the dirt just falls off.
& the 2nd time he said, "That's Sick" I changed the Channel.

Sick Does not mean cool No matter what some Kid on the internet in California says.

I have a Dictionary.

Yes Ladds voice immediately got to me

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand that his accent (Adam Sandler) and some of his catch phrases aren't for everyone. He can also be harsh in his opinions for sure!

My dad's generation 50's would say "That's *****in" for cool and I am a Gen X 80's so we might say "That's Sick" or "Sweet"
I feel the same way about the SilverSlingers I really wanted to watch their videos for the whites machines, but their is just something about the sound of her voice. I have to watch it in short burst of 30 seconds.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand that his accent (Adam Sandler) and some of his catch phrases aren't for everyone. He can also be harsh in his opinions for sure!

My dad's generation 50's would say "That's *****in" for cool and I am a Gen X 80's so we might say "That's Sick" or "Sweet"
I feel the same way about the SilverSlingers I really wanted to watch their videos for the whites machines, but their is just something about the sound of her voice. I have to watch it in short burst of 30 seconds.

I actually like her voice :laughing7:
EEEEEE! Tiger! Lookit! Lookit!
I enjoy her enthusiasm and excitement over nice finds and she looks great in a bikini!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm usually ok with accents,
Though Some bug me at First I can usually Tolerate them after
a Few times hearing them.

But Ladds high Voice, Accent, and the Enthusiastic way he talks
really gnaws at me.

Though it's a different accent & tone,
It's like the announcer on Oak Island, I Don't care to ever hear again.
Because it just seems to get worse :tongue3:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit that I did enjoy "Diggers", even with their over exuberance with each find and the whole "roundness in the hole" shtick. I still watch "The Detectorists" and wish someone would run season 3 without having to pay to see it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit that I did enjoy "Diggers", even with their over exuberance with each find and the whole "roundness in the hole" shtick. I still watch "The Detectorists" and wish someone would run season 3 without having to pay to see it.

Diggers finds were at least Believable.

They didn't dig up Cannon or other amazing Clean Relics.
Only thing I remember doubting was the Gold Coins in the small
flower bed in New Orleans.

even their reaction didn't fit their usual exuberant reactions.
I think that was even Embarrassing to them that they were forced to do that

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I hadn’t been metal Detecting in awhile and I was surprised to see DF on TV. So I watched two episodes until I couldn’t take it anymore. I did enjoy watching except for the points raised above. Adam Sandler! Too funny!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only one I've ever enjoyed or sought out is "Detectorists" with Mackenzie Crook (He's Orell in the Game of Thrones and Ragetti in Pirates of the Caribbean).

Great stuff.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant stand Dig Fellas...the guys are just weird to me and the voices annoying the hell out of me.

As for TV shows, I totally love the Detectorists...its funny and very relevant to our hobby.

Most the people on Youtube try to hard or just dont know how to be normal, but there are 3-4 I actually look forward to seeing new episodes. Mainly because they actually care about detecting..not just how cleaver they can make the title and how many views the get...THATS the reality of detecting videos these days.

Hoover Boys is my top choice....JD Varieties is good...Dig that Beep is pretty solid...and there are a few more.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only one I've ever enjoyed or sought out is "Detectorists" with Mackenzie Crook (He's Orell in the Game of Thrones and Ragetti in Pirates of the Caribbean).

Great stuff.

I used to love him in the Office...the OG Dwight lol

The show is freaking genius and you could tell the writing comes from people that know detecting.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great stuff.

I've been watching this all week about 4 episode's a night! Funny stuff my only minor gripe is they swing the coils about a foot of the ground. The Simon and Garfunkel jokes are great and now I have that song stuck in my head all day!

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess I’m gonna have to turn the TV on to see about watching a couple of these shows.

CorgiDoom1881

Feb 13, 2019
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember watching one called "American Savage Diggers" or something. It was based on making money, where they would always find thousands of dollars each hunt. Of course I didn't believe any of it, but it was pretty hilarious to watch. I remember once they found a milk jug with a bunch of pennies in it, then they found a key date double eagle mixed in...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread