Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Truth 123: Thanx for the link. Some observtions:

a) This is about Britain, not the USA. But interesting nonetheless, because :

b) Notice that this article puts-to-rest the notion that the British is some sort of harmonious hand-holding between archies and md'rs. Notice that the archie community in the UK is STILL VERY MUCH not in harmony with us. And the only thing this system of theirs (where you "declare" your better finds) does, is simply EVER MORE PUT US ON THEIR RADAR to hate.

It does not in any way open up sites . And simply creates more reason to want to regulate "those evil md'rs.

So when I read an article like that, it's all-the-more reason to stay as far off their radar as possible. The less they think about us, the better. So I groan when I see some USA md'r think that there's some sort of model there in the UK, that the USA should consider. It will never happen (since the "crown" here does not own all resources under the ground, like it does in the UK). And if any sort of hand-holding was ever suggested (where we gleefully share and show artifacts), is the moment all heck would break loose here.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting. I respect the field of archeology, and have many books written by these professionals. Much knowledge to be gained. On the other hand, I bristle at some of these academics' attitude that an object exists only to be left in the ground for them to find, catalog, label, and store in some university basement, never to be seen or enjoyed again.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth 123: Thanx for the link. Some observtions:

a) This is about Britain, not the USA. But interesting nonetheless, because :

b) Notice that this article puts-to-rest the notion that the British is some sort of harmonious hand-holding between archies and md'rs. Notice that the archie community in the UK is STILL VERY MUCH not in harmony with us. And the only thing this system of theirs (where you "declare" your better finds) does, is simply EVER MORE PUT US ON THEIR RADAR to hate.

It does not in any way open up sites . And simply creates more reason to want to regulate "those evil md'rs.

So when I read an article like that, it's all-the-more reason to stay as far off their radar as possible. The less they think about us, the better. So I groan when I see some USA md'r think that there's some sort of model there in the UK, that the USA should consider. It will never happen (since the "crown" here does not own all resources under the ground, like it does in the UK). And if any sort of hand-holding was ever suggested (where we gleefully share and show artifacts), is the moment all heck would break loose here.

I agree Tom

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting. I respect the field of archeology, and have many books written by these professionals. Much knowledge to be gained. On the other hand, I bristle at some of these academics' attitude that an object exists only to be left in the ground for them to find, catalog, label, and store in some university basement, never to be seen or enjoyed again.

I too agree with you Kray

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
I believe that there is plenty of room for both groups. Like most things, extreme positions usually make for unproductive conflict. Truly historically significant artifacts do not necessarily have significant monetary value, and conversely very monetarily valuable finds frequently have absolutely no archeological value. Mutual respect or at least tolerance of both sides and cooperation makes sense to me.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
...., extreme positions usually make for unproductive conflict.....

"Extreme positions" ? When it comes to archaeological mindset, I agree that some archies could care-less about md'rs. Ie.: So long as the MD'r is not snooping around the hole they are in the middle of digging, or as long as they are not snooping around obvious historic sensitive monuments.

But that is not that the "archaeological mindset" isn't "extreme". The archaeological mindset, in each case, has remained exactly the same. The only thing that "extreme" vs "not extreme", is the archie himself. Ie.: that "non-extreme" archie simply isn't employing his own training. Ie.: He doesn't care PERSONALLY. Not that the underlying doctorine itself has changed.

In each case, the archaeological mindset/training is the same. One simply "cares" and the other "doesn't care". So no matter how you slice it, I would never call for a "compromise", as you suggest. Because the moment you go to look at actual doctrine and beliefs, there is utterly no middle-ground compromise. All you end up with is: Care or not care. Or : enforce or not enforce. Or See or not see.

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
If while metal detecting I happened to find something that I considered of real significance to archeologists, law enforcement, safety officials, or the original owner, ect, I would certainly consider bringing it to the attention of the appropriate person. I personally think that playing it forward always pays off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions