Calling all Fisher f44 owners...

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all! I have been detecting for less than a year and I want to upgrade to the Fisher f44. i know its not the best detector out there, its considered a beginners-mid-range. But it will be a huge improvment to my little dectector (bounty hunter jr. I bought new for $80 ca.) Can anyone tell me their likes and dislikes of this machine if you own it? Also, I found this site with cheap new detectors.. www.metaldetector.com and it has the Fisher I want on there. Has anyone used this site? :metaldetector:???Is it reliable? This is what i want for my machine and it seems to fit all i want:

1. cheap on batteries (x2 aa) my little guy i have uses x2 9 volts and it cost me almost all my coins i found so i didn't earn much :(

2. light weight

3. disscrimination

4. water resistant/waterproof coil

5. detects up to 9-10 inches give or take

6. can have head phones

7. has number id + tones for different metals

Things to consider

1. how water proof is it... if I drop it in the lake by mistake will it die? (not planning to do a lot of water/beach hunts but still...)???

2. is it better than the Garrett Ace 400?:icon_scratch:

3. can I get it under 500 bucks?:coins:

Any info on this machine I can get will be helpful. Thanks!:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mvgirl! I must say I've seen you post some mighty nice finds that you've dug with your Bounty Hunter Jr...An upgrade is definitely in the cards for you, as I believe you are definitely missing some nice targets. Ok- I know not much about the F44 you're speaking of, and do not know how much it costs, but what I would seriously suggest is to poke around for a low-mileage AT Pro...since the AT Max came out, the Pro is availability by the hundreds, literally, and the price is cheap since a lot of them hit the market at about the same time. I have no idea of your budget, but the NEW AT Pro price has dropped also since introduction of the Max. The Pro is waterproof, so go ahead and drop it, heck THROW it in the water -all good. My original Pro, now my backup unit, is still working great. (6 yrs). Not bias towards Garrett products, simply passing along my experience. But I think you would do back flips with a Pro...I hope this helps, good luck with your search! Ddf.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had issues with the screen on my f22 and this is my 2nd unit. If I were looking to spend a few hundred then solid advice above from dirt.

Okdirtfisher64

Dec 22, 2018
Tulsa,Ok
Detector(s) used
F75+ fisher 11”,5” dd coils
F pulse pin pointer
Black widow headphones
Predator 31c raptor hand digger,
Whites mxt e-tracker stock 9” ,4x6,coil
Garrett AT Pro,ground shrark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concerning metaldetector.com I’ve made a handful of purchases in the last couple of months and the service has been exceptional,one mix up around x-mas but they made it right.On another note I also have seen some of your finds.Keep following your nose it always knows!!! Good hunting look forward to seeing your future post.

JoeB_OH

Dec 19, 2012
Cleveland , Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Bounty Hunter Tracker 4.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, I have used the F44 for 4 years now & am very happy with it! It has 4 different modes of operation: Coin, jewelry, artifact, custom. I used a BH before also, the F44 is a much better machine. I would highly recommend it for you. I think it cost's less than $300.00?

Good luck & HH!

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, I have used the F44 for 4 years now & am very happy with it! It has 4 different modes of operation: Coin, jewelry, artifact, custom. I used a BH before also, the F44 is a much better machine. I would highly recommend it for you. I think it cost's less than $300.00?

Good luck & HH!

Hi. Thanks for replying. On the site I mentioned above it's on sale for 310. But on other sites it's around 400-500. Does your machine have the ground balance arrow flashing all the time? I've watched some videos online and it always seems to flash... that would be annoying.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Concerning metaldetector.com I’ve made a handful of purchases in the last couple of months and the service has been exceptional,one mix up around x-mas but they made it right.On another note I also have seen some of your finds.Keep following your nose it always knows!!! Good hunting look forward to seeing your future post.

Ok thanks for that info!!! It is about 100 bucks cheaper than amazon or ebay and it even has extras. Do they have sales often? Thanks for checking out my finds!

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Mvgirl! I must say I've seen you post some mighty nice finds that you've dug with your Bounty Hunter Jr...An upgrade is definitely in the cards for you, as I believe you are definitely missing some nice targets. Ok- I know not much about the F44 you're speaking of, and do not know how much it costs, but what I would seriously suggest is to poke around for a low-mileage AT Pro...since the AT Max came out, the Pro is availability by the hundreds, literally, and the price is cheap since a lot of them hit the market at about the same time. I have no idea of your budget, but the NEW AT Pro price has dropped also since introduction of the Max. The Pro is waterproof, so go ahead and drop it, heck THROW it in the water -all good. My original Pro, now my backup unit, is still working great. (6 yrs). Not bias towards Garrett products, simply passing along my experience. But I think you would do back flips with a Pro...I hope this helps, good luck with your search! Ddf.

My budget is under 500 so I don't think that would work... :( thanks though. Plus thanks for looking at my finds!!!

Okdirtfisher64

Dec 22, 2018
Tulsa,Ok
Detector(s) used
F75+ fisher 11”,5” dd coils
F pulse pin pointer
Black widow headphones
Predator 31c raptor hand digger,
Whites mxt e-tracker stock 9” ,4x6,coil
Garrett AT Pro,ground shrark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks for that info!!! It is about 100 bucks cheaper than amazon or ebay and it even has extras. Do they have sales often? Thanks for checking out my finds!

Seems to me they do have very frequent sales,just a thought to maybe consider they also finance.I’ve never went that route but thought it interesting.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems to me they do have very frequent sales,just a thought to maybe consider they also finance.I’ve never went that route but thought it interesting.

The thing that gets me at metal detecting sites is that they either don't ship to canada or charge an arm and a leg to ship it. Why are there less people detecting in canada I wonder? Well... I guess it means more stuff left to unearth for me :))

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Monte uses the F44 for coin hunting. He's an amazing outlet of metal detecting information and a super nice guy; I'm sure he'd tell you all about the F44 if you sent him a PM (or email).

You might want to take a look at the Teknetics site too. The Patriot (really a Fisher 70 with different paint) sells for $399. I don't know if that machine is water resistant, but from all accounts (that I've read anyway) it is a very capable machine.

JoeB_OH

Dec 19, 2012
Cleveland , Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Bounty Hunter Tracker 4.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi. Thanks for replying. On the site I mentioned above it's on sale for 310. But on other sites it's around 400-500. Does your machine have the ground balance arrow flashing all the time? I've watched some videos online and it always seems to flash... that would be annoying.

Yes, it does flash sometimes but, I really don't notice it and it doesn't seem to have any problems with the operation. For 310.00 that's not a bad deal, I think I paid around 360.00. So, do some more research & take your time looking for the upgrade, you have a world of fellow detectorists here on Tnet to advise also.

HH!!

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe Monte uses the F44 for coin hunting. He's an amazing outlet of metal detecting information and a super nice guy; I'm sure he'd tell you all about the F44 if you sent him a PM (or email).

You might want to take a look at the Teknetics site too. The Patriot (really a Fisher 70 with different paint) sells for $399. I don't know if that machine is water resistant, but from all accounts (that I've read anyway) it is a very capable machine.

How can I contact him?

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok thanks!

Monte

Jun 5, 2008
Vale, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact (2), FORS Relic (3), FORS CoRe (2)
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido II µMAX, Silver Sabre µMAX & Mojave
Makro and Nokta Pinpointers
Killer-B 'Hornet' headphones
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mvgirl,

I know I'm a few days tardy but I had some medical matters to deal with. It's Saturday, 8:45 AM here in Vale, Oregon, and I'm headed to a Sportsman's Show in Idaho, then off to meet a friend to hunt a WW-II POW Camp site. I travel with several detectors, but along with me on most trips, and one I'll be using today, is the Fisher F44. I'll mainly use the 7" Concentric coil, which is my favorite with this device, and grab my 2nd F44 w/5" DD to work in the brushier/confined spaces.

I have your e-mail up and when I get home later today it will be the first thing I get to. If you have any specific questions other than you posted in this thread, you're welcome to e-mail them to me. If you were close by you'd be welcome to join us as well. I have 10 individual detectors in my current Regular-Use Detector Outfit, but only 7 different models. I have doubles of the Nokta FORS CoRe, FORS Relic and Fisher F44 because I use them more and keep my favorite coils mounted on each. A smaller-size and mid-size.

If you would, drop me an e-mail and let me know the types of hunting you like to do and describe the typical locations and site conditions you're likely to encounter.

Sorry for the delay but the response will come this evening.

Monte

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing to add about detector, I'm sure you've done your homework and know what's best for you. I just want to say that I have dealt with metal detector.com for some smaller items and I would rate them at A++. If you watch their site they have some great deals also, but you could call them and maybe they would give you a heads up on upcoming sales. I would also like to add that maybe you want to check out the sponsoring dealers here on Tnet, one of them could possibly have the best deal for a Tnet member. Send them a private message for a quote, you may be surprised. Good luck & Happy Hunting

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing to add about detector, I'm sure you've done your homework and know what's best for you. I just want to say that I have dealt with metal detector.com for some smaller items and I would rate them at A++. If you watch their site they have some great deals also, but you could call them and maybe they would give you a heads up on upcoming sales. I would also like to add that maybe you want to check out the sponsoring dealers here on Tnet, one of them could possibly have the best deal for a Tnet member. Send them a private message for a quote, you may be surprised. Good luck & Happy Hunting

Unfortunately I just remembered that I live in Canada... so with the exchange rate and possible duty charges I'd be no better off and probably have a better deal if I bought the f44 on amazon for around 500. I don't know where you mean to see if a Tnet user would have a machine for sale but even if I found someone selling theyd probably be in the u.s. also... (why are their more detectorists in the u.s.??) Thanks though��

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mvgirl,

I know I'm a few days tardy but I had some medical matters to deal with. It's Saturday, 8:45 AM here in Vale, Oregon, and I'm headed to a Sportsman's Show in Idaho, then off to meet a friend to hunt a WW-II POW Camp site. I travel with several detectors, but along with me on most trips, and one I'll be using today, is the Fisher F44. I'll mainly use the 7" Concentric coil, which is my favorite with this device, and grab my 2nd F44 w/5" DD to work in the brushier/confined spaces.

I have your e-mail up and when I get home later today it will be the first thing I get to. If you have any specific questions other than you posted in this thread, you're welcome to e-mail them to me. If you were close by you'd be welcome to join us as well. I have 10 individual detectors in my current Regular-Use Detector Outfit, but only 7 different models. I have doubles of the Nokta FORS CoRe, FORS Relic and Fisher F44 because I use them more and keep my favorite coils mounted on each. A smaller-size and mid-size.

If you would, drop me an e-mail and let me know the types of hunting you like to do and describe the typical locations and site conditions you're likely to encounter.

Sorry for the delay but the response will come this evening.

Monte

Hi monte. Sorry you had medical stuff to take care of, hope it all went well. (Sorry if I sent two emails before... Wasn't sure if it sent) ok I'll send you another email to tell you the peticulars. Thanks so much for helping!!! I felt like my head was swimming with all the detector options but now I'm pretty sure I want the f44. It seems like a good machine and it has some nice features. Big choice for me to make though... I don't work yet and 500 bucks is a lot for me to spend... (I've never spent that much yet��)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro used under 500 easy and its a great very very easy to use machine almost turn on and go I think ddf Scotty is right on it will pay fir itself it slams on coins most companies Kellyco Bigboys hobbies ect sell used and demo machines of all kinds Good luck. Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread