Bogus Garrett Pinpointers On Ebay

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shopping for a pinpointer.
Went to Ebay to see what they had.
Found quite a lot of chinese listings for counterfeit Garrett Propoints.
Spoke with Garrett and they are trying to get listings removed.
Until the listings are removed, please don't buy the Garrett knock offs from china.
It only serves to put money in thieve's pockets.
And most likely, when it dies in a couple of months, you'll be SOL.
You'll have to ship it back to china(quite costly) and wait a couple of months for a replacement, if you even get one.
Support Garrett and all our other fine American manufacturers, don't buy chinese knock offs from Ebay.
Here's an example of a bogus Garrett:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GARRETT-PR...035374&hash=item1ef0235b77:g:7XwAAOSwIsdcBzpp

If you think you can get a Garrett Pro point shipped from china for $39.99, I got a couple of bridges for sale.
Buy and support USA.

Upvote 0

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd would like to see Garrett and the mold shop they use show us the core and cavity being made in the states. If these companies are having their molds made in China to save on cost then that could explain the knock offs. I'm not saying Garrett does this but I know a few things about molds and I've seen it done.

OP
OP
Deep1

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd would like to see Garrett and the mold shop they use show us the core and cavity being made in the states. If these companies are having their molds made in China to save on cost then that could explain the knock offs. I'm not saying Garrett does this but I know a few things about molds and I've seen it done.

I don't own a pro pointer and correct me if I'm wrong but, I assume they're made in china.
And that's the problem, whenever an American corp. has a new product they send it to china to manufacture.
Which opens it to intellectual thief, which the chinese are well known to do.
Big bizness knows this, but they feel the cost savings will offset counterfeit loss.
I have no sympathy for big bizness, their CEO's, CFO's and all the greedies at the top, they have bought this on themselves.
But I do feel for the true workers designers, assemblers, sales, shipping. These are the ones affected the most by corporate greed, losing their job or seeing hours cut.
I'll bet an I button that the same chinese manufacturer that makes the propoint for Garrett is the one selling them on Ebay.

excorcist

Greenie
Feb 4, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honesty they are garbage. Not even worth using compared to the real deal... Im all about saving money when I can, if you have a good enough product/ idea you should take every possible step possible to protect it, because there will ALWAYS be a market for a cheaper version given the performance is the same. In this case its not even close. I think I saw some youtube videos that test them against each other as well that had the same experience I did. I tossed it in the trash

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shopping for a pinpointer.
Went to Ebay to see what they had.
Found quite a lot of chinese listings for counterfeit Garrett Propoints.
Spoke with Garrett and they are trying to get listings removed.
Until the listings are removed, please don't buy the Garrett knock offs from china.
It only serves to put money in thieve's pockets.
And most likely, when it dies in a couple of months, you'll be SOL.
You'll have to ship it back to china(quite costly) and wait a couple of months for a replacement, if you even get one.
Support Garrett and all our other fine American manufacturers, don't buy chinese knock offs from Ebay.
Here's an example of a bogus Garrett:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GARRETT-PR...035374&hash=item1ef0235b77:g:7XwAAOSwIsdcBzpp

If you think you can get a Garrett Pro point shipped from china for $39.99, I got a couple of bridges for sale.
Buy and support USA.

First, why in the name of all that is diggable would you buy ANYTHING on Ebay that is not being sold by an authorized dealer? We have many of the best dealers in the Country - Right Here as sponsors! Keith at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors is a great example. Don't buy equipment twice. Buy it right the first time!:skullflag:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yea, I was also looking for a pointer recently and looked at e-bay. Found more than a few fake pointers from china. Many different brands. BBW Decided for the real thing, F-pulse, from a well know metal detector dealer.
Also agree with most of above but bet NOT same as real thing. Also it is very, very easy to make a mold!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not just pinpointers all kinds of stuff

reale bill

Feb 8, 2007
I keep getting this pop up and on my news feed 20190308_153327.jpg Screenshot_20190308-153032_Facebook.jpg

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen it more and more where American manufacturers are stretching the meaning of "made in the USA" to its breaking point. The parts will be manufactured overseas and then brought back here for assembly so they can claim to be making it here. This has been going on since the industry switched to surface mount components. If you make a deal with a snake you can't complain when it bites you. That being said, there is an inconsistency in the manufacture of the imitation propointers. I'm not sure what makes them different but some are outstanding, most are fairly decent, and some are rather pathetic as far as range goes.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
☠ Cipher;6124777 said:
I've seen it more and more where American manufacturers are stretching the meaning of "made in the USA" to its breaking point. The parts will be manufactured overseas and then brought back here for assembly so they can claim to be making it here. This has been going on since the industry switched to surface mount components. If you make a deal with a snake you can't complain when it bites you. That being said, there is an inconsistency in the manufacture of the imitation propointers. I'm not sure what makes them different but some are outstanding, most are fairly decent, and some are rather pathetic as far as range goes.

They(the grey market ones) are probably 3rd shift items. So while 3rd shift products aren't actually fake in the terms of being knock offs the quality control of unauthorized items is non existent.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Counterfeits on EBay? Really? Sorry, boys and girls, but fakes on EBay is nothing new. Been going on for years. Amazon, too, is the land of counterfeits and fakes. Always buy from trusted, verifiable sources.

Time for more coffee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions