Can a Minelab Monster 1000 work well as a coin shooter also?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sure. It will find coins. Heck, you can probably get a quarter to well past 1.5 ft. even. Who could ask for more , eh ? And you're "guaranteed not to miss a thing" with a nugget machine (eg.: pinheads, staples, specks, etc....), right ? Meaning you wouldn't miss a tinsel fine gold chain, eh ? Who could ask for more, eh ?

But heaven-help-you if you try a nugget machine in any normal land hunt type location (eg.: parks, schools, relicky locations like ghost towns, stage stops, etc....). Because the bells of Notre Dame will ring on every staple, pinhead, speck, etc....

About the only place I've ever seen someone use a nugget machine for coins/relics is: Beach hunting. And some CW relic guys have adopted them, for places where they have the liberty to dig all (ie.: no iron discrimination).

I saw a few guys swinging high powered nugget machines @ the GNRS. But .... they cut a WIDE BERTH around the couple of cellar-hole locations out there. Fine for middle-of-nowhere , I suppose, where you wouldn't expect to have 100 nails for each conductive target. But for the couple of cellar hole sites going on there, those guys were nowhere to be found .

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I'd like to have a great nugget machine, and a good coin shooter, all-in-one." Answer= Minelab Equinox 800.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's got 2 dedicated gold hunting modes. No joke, it will find the tiniest (and big) nuggets with very good depth. Google it up, plenty of reports of people using it for nugget shooting.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Comprende "nugget head". Makes me think of Nugget Noggin LOL.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab has supposedly addressed those issues. I'm not having any of those problems currently. But if your still in doubt, get a Goldmonster and let us know how it works out for you for coin hunting.

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reports of weak shaft,
Camlocks, etc

The shaft wobble issues were fixed in Equinox production and is no longer an issue. I think production starting in October, 2018 with the redesigned shaft. As far as I know Minelab has accommodated anyone that contacts them with a shaft wobble problem.

In other words... it's no longer a problem.

-Joe

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
Think it as strong as the Monster for nugget shooting? Be nice if they had a smaller coil for the Nox.

SnohomishDigger

Greenie
Dec 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think it as strong as the Monster for nugget shooting? Be nice if they had a smaller coil for the Nox.

They do. I got my six inch coil a week ago. I don’t hunt gold, but the six inch coil has been awesome in finding coins and small relics in the “hunted out” trashy sites near my home.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have found several coins with my GM 1000,but as others have stated it would not be my first choice if I was just coin hunting but it will see coins you just have to remember the GM 1000 only has a ferrous or non ferrous meter on it and all clad coins ring in on the GM 1000 on the non ferrous side of the meter the GM 1000 is a great nugget machine though.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to ask why you think you would need a smaller coil? Are you going to be crevassing or something? With the smaller coil, you will sacrifice depth. Many of the Minelab dedicated gold machines have enormous coils, for finding deep nuggets. Remember most gold hunting locations are "relatively" trash free, save for some pieces of lead shot and occasional pieces of wire, tin, nails etc.

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
I have to ask why you think you would need a smaller coil? Are you going to be crevassing or something? With the smaller coil, you will sacrifice depth. Many of the Minelab dedicated gold machines have enormous coils, for finding deep nuggets. Remember most gold hunting locations are "relatively" trash free, save for some pieces of lead shot and occasional pieces of wire, tin, nails etc.

Crevicing

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigger coils lose depth on smaller targets as well

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the 6 inch coil that comes with the GM 1000 sees just as deep as the larger coil that came with it has been my experience so far the six inch coil vary rarely comes off of my GM 1000 you just loose ground coverage so you have to make sure when you are doing your sweeps you overlap I use the 5x10 inch coil when i first get into an area to locate things but then change over to the 6 inch round coil both coils are really hot though

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya think the 15" coil would be the best for nuggets?

If you are talking the 15 inch coil for an equinox myself I would only purchase a 15 inch coil if I was hunting a big flat area void of any obstacles they do not make a 15 inch coil for the GM 1000 yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread