$300 to $350 for a Metal Detector, thoughts? and is Nokta SimpleX any good?

Chase7628

Mar 6, 2018
CICERO NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, been detecting for a 2 years now and ready to upgrade from my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, I have about $300 to $350 and could push it to $400 if it was worth it...I just got an email from a friend about the Nokta Simplex coming out soon and he said to look into this and see if it was any good? I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on other products to consider at this price point...I was originally looking at the Garrett product line the 300 or 400 and see some come with pinpointers and various other stuff in packages...

Thanks in advance for your help...

I am going to be mostly searching wooded areas, parks and yards.

Upvote 0

SnohomishDigger

Greenie
Dec 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you’re not opposed to buying used equipment, you may want to see what’s currently available from individuals looking to sell their current machines as they look to upgrade.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Chase, do a little homework and watch Utube videos on any make and model you may be interested in. If you find a unit you think would best fit your needs, even if it may be just out of your budget, no fret. Watch the classifieds. You can sometimes get a good deal on a nice used detector. I just picked up a Minelab Safari in vgc and paid about half price of what a new one sells for. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide on.

70ss454

Greenie
Feb 23, 2019
Vernon, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the tracker IV also and just upgraded this past week. That thing looks like a toy next to my new machine. I cant really answer you question because I went over your(and mine) budget. Most people will tell you to try a few out before you choose if possible. I guess youtube would be the next best thing.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If at all possible, find a dealer you can visit to test drive. All machines are not created equal. I have bought one on a recommendation or sight unseen in the past and been disappointed. The Garrets in that price range are good. I also like my Tesoro Cibola, but Tesoro is having some company issues right now.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could probably find a used Garrett AT Pro for +/- $400. Check the auction sites, and sometimes even the dealers will have trade in models of various types.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Chase, if your looking to up grade, make sure the machine has a ground balance or ground tracking feature, next make sure accessories are available like different coils to add to it. Smokey has great advice on the try before you buy. The best advice you will ever get is this. "Performance is where you find it and cost is not the indicator of performance." The end of the day its not up to the people who gave advice on their machine preference, its up to you on what you like, what you can afford and what will work best for you and your situation.
There is no one perfect machine. What works for one may not work for another, Ford, Dodge or Chevy."
Good luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I need to start adding Subaru, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Jeep, Honda, Mitsubishi, BMW, Jaguar, Fiat, Audi, Volkswagen. Good Lord this is like metal detectors!!,,,,lol
Opie

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opie is correct. There is no perfect machine and no magic wands out there. Anywhere. Except for a shovel of course.:laughing7:

sheiswe

Oct 5, 2015
CT
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV,ace 250, garret AT PRO. Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the tracker IV was myfirst metal detector.i bought a barely used AT PRO w original box etc and extra coil for only $375. I'd check CL (it's where i got mine)

NYBilly

Jan 7, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Simplex is going to be a great machine, I would personally wait till it comes out.
Nokta| Makro: A compact detector, fully waterproof submersible up to 3 meters (10ft.), with built- in wireless, retractable shaft (25″), only 2.9 lbs, 4 search modes including a beach mode, no GB required, with LED flashlight, with vibration, with frequency shift, backlight, lighted keypad, notch disc, iron volume, very easy-to-use, updateable, with built-in lipo battery, with 11″ DD coil, offering depth of a hi-end detector for $299

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nokta | Makro make some excellent detectors. The Simplex will probably be another. Wait awhile until they have been out a couple of months. Check the forums and youtube videos to see what folks think once they've had a chance to use them.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it's going to be near summer before the Simplex drops. I would look for a used AT Pro in the meantime. It has been popular for very good reason

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Fisher F22 like new for sale now. Its a decent mid range machine. Easy to run and operate and you don't have to be a Detector Geek to start hunting for stuff.

OP
OP
C

Chase7628

Mar 6, 2018
CICERO NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I just squeezed the wife a little more and I can spend up to $500 on a detector...does this get me any benefit and what would you recommend at this price range?

OP
OP
C

Chase7628

Mar 6, 2018
CICERO NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also a person I know is selling a Whites MXT - 300 used less than 1 hour on it for $450 would that be a good buy?

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also a person I know is selling a Whites MXT - 300 used less than 1 hour on it for $450 would that be a good buy?

Less than 1 hour? Seems a bit odd and depending on when he bought it it could be 15 years old! (Just something to think about) If he bought it recently and its the MXT Pro then it's probably a deal...

I can tell you I have had the F22, Tesoro Vaquero, Equinox, and Whites MX5 & V3i all in the last 5 years - The Equinox is out of your price range and so is the V3i but from what I have heard the MXT is a really good machine for just about any kind of hunting.

One of the downside for me with my Whites machines is hunting in rain (you have to throw a bag over them and I haven't worked up the courage to do it with the V3i yet) but I have become partial to the tones and features of the Whites machines the vdi and tones just click for me.
HH

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chase with your budget I second the notion of looking for a used machine, I saw a T2 SE with 3 coils go for under $400 yesterday online. You need to ask yourself some questions about what you want in your next machine. I for one started with a low end machine that at least had 3 tones. I knew that my next machine should have ground balance capability, a screen that showed depth, a target ID, battery level, and the ability to notch. I also wanted it to have a DD coil vs a concentric coil and that there were aftermarket coils available. All the big brands make good machines, I'd watch some review videos and I also go to kellyco so I can review up to 4 machines spec's side by side. Do you need waterproof? Do you plan on hunting at the ocean in the water or wet sand? What tones do you want to hear? Garretts use a bell tone, minelab uses a flute tone (Bwoop Bwoop) and most others used standard tones. How heavy/light do you want your machine to be? Are you okay with one frequency or do you want a machine that can run at a few different frequencies?

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, every time i prepare my "heavy gear machine" to go out for a day it strarts raining:icon_scratch:. So i am definetly going to buy a water-proof detector next, and Simplex is a chip and fairly good candidate. The only think i really hate is built in battery placed in a water-tight housing without screws in corners. You are looking at 2-5 yeares of its lifetime. I like to keep my detectors longer.

Handy_man91

Greenie
Sep 2, 2019
Palo pinto county , TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro:
Original Silver Sabre

Bounty Hunter:
Land Ranger Pro,
Junior Target ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using a bounty Hunter land Ranger Pro, really good for the $, got mine on Amazon for 269. Very close to the AT Pro in specs except for not having a water proof box. Would leave you some extra cash for a nice digger, pin pointer, and maybe an extra coil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread