A police officer must have been here at one time. Any info on this would be helpful.

SlimPikins

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2018
Eastern NC.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting at an old plantation house when I came across a signal that bounced between a penny and a dime. I sometimes skip over the bouncy targets, but sense my previous bouncy target produced a Merc I decided to give it a go. I dug down about 6 inches when I hit some metal. It didn't take me long to realize it wasn't a coin. With it being some old property I continued to work it out of the hole even though I expected a potted meat can or something. Low and behold after cleaning it off I found what looks to be an old police badge. Does anyone have any knowledge on whether it would be real or how old it could be?

Attachments

• 0304191505.jpg
    0304191505.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 503
Upvote 0

RTH

Sep 22, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a retired Officer, I would say that the badge is real. There should be some evidence of a pin attachment on the back. Dating a badge could be very difficult because there is no standards established as to what the badges should look like, other than the name of the authority, state, or rank. Some of the smaller departments don't even have badge numbers. When I first started my career, we had a few different badges in use due to the limited budget. Some were new, some were 30 years old. The best way to date the badge would be to research or contact the department where the badge was issued and see if they can date it for you. Today, a lost badge must be entered into the National Criminal Information Center and would be considered the property of the department. You may want to verify that possession of the badge is legal in your area before you actually contact the agency. Either way, very nice find and thanks for sharing it with us.

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
gpx 4800, tdi pro, sov gt/xs, sand shark 10.5'', vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find now you can go into town with the badge on your belt and a open carry pistol beside it

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find. Looks real to me.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a retired Officer, I would say that the badge is real. There should be some evidence of a pin attachment on the back. Dating a badge could be very difficult because there is no standards established as to what the badges should look like, other than the name of the authority, state, or rank. Some of the smaller departments don't even have badge numbers. When I first started my career, we had a few different badges in use due to the limited budget. Some were new, some were 30 years old. The best way to date the badge would be to research or contact the department where the badge was issued and see if they can date it for you. Today, a lost badge must be entered into the National Criminal Information Center and would be considered the property of the department. You may want to verify that possession of the badge is legal in your area before you actually contact the agency. Either way, very nice find and thanks for sharing it with us.

Out of curiosity, what state/city/locality did you serve?

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net that is a very cool find!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be cool to see the records of whose it was Im sure they would have to report it lost

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using the badge number. Welcome to tnet

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Vote REAL. What a great find! I, too, skip bouncy numbers sometimes and your great find gives me pause about skipping those types of signals in the future. Another aspect of detecting I love is researching such unusual finds.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Get hold of the folks in Duplin county NC (I.E. - Sherriff's office) Just Google "Duplin county NC sheriff" Should turn up contact telephone number, mailing address...etc...etc. Get hold of the PAO (Public Affairs Office) who should steer you in the right direction. Based on the design...etc...etc...thinking probably 1920's...??? Might even be late 1800's based on the design...

Got-Good-Tones
Yes that is what you should do if you really want to know..I did not see that this post was over a year old .

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread