Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Teknetics Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the setup: I already have a Tesoro Vaquero and a Teknetics Omega 8000. I've used both at the beach before an neither was any good near wet sand, let alone in the water. I have a few weeks of vacation at the beach this summer and I'd like to get a detector that would actually work with the saltwater this time. I already know about Minelabs being good for the beach, but I'm curious what your experiences have been and what you've had success with.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

gmsaf

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Teknetics Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should add that I'm leaning towards an older used machine rather than something newer.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Todd6542

Mar 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect the beach (salt water) at least once a week. I have used many different detectors over the years. I would suggest a Tesoro Sand Shark. You can pick up a used one if you can find it for $300 or less. New the machine is under $600 and it performs just as well as the Whites Surf Master PI I had that was $900 new. The Sand Shark is probably the best detector for salt water at an affordable price.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem with buying Tesoro is there is no guarantee you will be able to get warranty work or detector worked on.

Last edited:

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II.
Made many nice finds.
They are deep and made for saltwater.
You'll be diggin everything.
There's plenty of used ones on ebay for under $500.
But if you want a good all around detector, then the nox 600 is the one.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Isn't there a used EQ600 on this site for less then $500 right now? There was yesterday.
I'm landlocked but I'd go with the Equinox. Terry Soloman above got rid of his sandshark after he got the EQ600 and as per his words, replaced that machine and some others. That was before Tesoro went out of business.
I don't know Terry but I have read many of his posts on here and it is obvious that he knows his chit!

johnwon2

Jun 21, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Problem with buying Tesoro is there is no guarantee you will be able to get warranty work or detector worked on.

Yep and the Tesoro lifetime warranty was only to the original owner. They made me provide a copy of my receipt when I had them repair an issue with my coil plug a few years ago.

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should add that I'm leaning towards an older used machine rather than something newer.
Keep an eye out for a Fisher Cz. Be it the 5 , 6 , 6a , or 3 . Multi frequency , has a "salt" mode. I have the cz6a. 12/14 inches deep in the wet sand or surf. Fishers dedicated saltwater machine the cz20/21 is the other cz's locked in salt mode and water proof. Any of the cz's can be found in your budget.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions