Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

retrodog

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My take on it, after being out of the hobby for over 30 years, is that you set a price range you want to spend and determine what you will be using it for mostly. Then you can pick a machine that will be best suited for your needs. I recently went through this, after deciding to get back "into the game" and when I added in factors like:

availability of accessories
ease of use
available training material (YouTube)
price of accessories

it ended up coming down to the Equinox 600/800 and the Garrett AT pro/max. I finally went with the AT Max for a few small differences that I found preferable. Not worth mentioning though since I could have gone the other way all too easily, because I certainly see the advantages of the Minelab units.

I have a buddy who got the Equinox 600 and we were out detecting last weekend. I like the 600 quite a bit after playing with it. But I still like my AT Max quite a bit too. So far, it's been working adequately (as far as I can tell) on the beaches of Galveston island in dry, wet, and under water sand. I didn't really prioritize this usage in my plan, but it's just a stone's throw away so I decided to go do some beach detecting as well. If I get to a point that I don't think the AT Max is cutting it... I might get tempted to get the Equinox 800 as well. Only time will tell.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please whatever you do, don't take my or anyone else's final opinion on your choice of a machine, because it may not be best for your unique conditions. Test drive one at a dealer. Make a road trip out of it if necessary. Catch a flight if you're really really serious about detecting. I've done the "Goldilocks" thing more than once. Too heavy, cheap plastic, expensive accessories, or just didn't like it.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
By now you might be thinking about getting a bowling ball. Just give it your best shot and get one, use it and learn it.
51YWml35zlL._SX425_.jpg

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you are new to the hobby get something easy to learn and use. Garrett AT Pro might not be the best detector out there, but it's been a best seller for good reason--easy to learn and easy to use. You can probably find a nice used one.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread