Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: What detector to buy?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2019
    NC
    XP ORX, T2SE, Minuteman
    137 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Welcome. Everyone here has an opinion, I currently own machines from three different manufacturers.

With that said, it really depends on what you want to do with it. I would absolutely drive to a dealer to demo anything you want to buy. I have made several purchase mistakes not doing that.
    I can not agree more with this. If you have a dealer anywhere near close please go there and look. If they give you a good deal then even better. Consider it a road trip if that's what it takes. A lot of the dealers sponsored here will give you a much better deal than what you can otherwise find so give them a call before you dedicate yourself to buying elsewhere once you know what you want.

Sep 2017
    Indiana
    F75LTD, G2+, Tesoros
    10 times
    Metal Detecting
    I agree with Deepseeker. Keep it simple. It's the time you spend researching for good sites that will determine the quantity and quality of your finds.
    Best of luck.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6546 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    I personally have 7 different machines, all of them have their merits.

But for a new guy to the hobby, the first machine I would recommend - if you can find one - is the Tesoro Tejon. I've spent too many bucks on my hobby aspirations, but the first detector I tend to go to is the Tejon.

It is a beep & dig machine which goes very deep. It beeps, you dig. Others can be just confusing and too much for a simplistic approach.
    I'm more of the opposite opinion on this. I've seen too many people get a beep and dig machine only to toss it into a closet because they only found a bunch of junk on their first outing. Let's face it, most newbies first detecting site is either their own yard or the closest public park/school. Neither are the easiest site to hunt for keepers these days, and more so with a newbie trying to figure out what all these signals are. With some decent discrimination, you can have success right off the bat. A more sophisticated machine with turn on an go programs will make it easier to have that instant gratification that newbies always seem to want.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    4195 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    I'm more of the opposite opinion on this. I've seen too many people get a beep and dig machine only to toss it into a closet because they only found a bunch of junk on their first outing. Let's face it, most newbies first detecting site is either their own yard or the closest public park/school. Neither are the easiest site to hunt for keepers these days, and more so with a newbie trying to figure out what all these signals are. With some decent discrimination, you can have success right off the bat. A more sophisticated machine with turn on an go programs will make it easier to have that instant gratification that newbies always seem to want.
    Beep and dig machines are absolutely the best bang for a beginners buck. They do have Discrimination knobs that can pretty much assure most trash is eliminated and nothing but pennies dimes quarters and silver are found. As the person gets more comfortable with the machine the knob can be lowered to accept more targets.
    Dig till you drop!

us
    It is what it is, until it "Is" what it is.

Aug 2013
    Northern Utah
    I currently run White's Spectra V3i wireless, Fisher F-70, Garrett AT-Pro, Minelab Etrac. I have owned other Fisher, Teknetics & Garrett models. Hands on with Equinox 800, Garrett AT-Max, & New Chase
    160 times
    Metal Detecting
    jerdog, what ever you buy look for a machine that has options. Its the coil, always remember that. The coil controls the type of hunt, how you will hunt and the manner in which you'll hunt. Concentric coils pinpoint well, DD's are great for large area and heavy mineral locations, small coils for trash or gold nuggets, large coils for fields and open area. What ever you buy make sure it has a ground balance or ground grab feature, and the ability to buy different coil options.
    Good Luck!
    Stay Gold!
    Opie

Mar 2019
    3 times
    My take on it, after being out of the hobby for over 30 years, is that you set a price range you want to spend and determine what you will be using it for mostly. Then you can pick a machine that will be best suited for your needs. I recently went through this, after deciding to get back "into the game" and when I added in factors like:

availability of accessories
    ease of use
    available training material (YouTube)
    price of accessories

it ended up coming down to the Equinox 600/800 and the Garrett AT pro/max. I finally went with the AT Max for a few small differences that I found preferable. Not worth mentioning though since I could have gone the other way all too easily, because I certainly see the advantages of the Minelab units.

I have a buddy who got the Equinox 600 and we were out detecting last weekend. I like the 600 quite a bit after playing with it. But I still like my AT Max quite a bit too. So far, it's been working adequately (as far as I can tell) on the beaches of Galveston island in dry, wet, and under water sand. I didn't really prioritize this usage in my plan, but it's just a stone's throw away so I decided to go do some beach detecting as well. If I get to a point that I don't think the AT Max is cutting it... I might get tempted to get the Equinox 800 as well. Only time will tell.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    19539 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Please whatever you do, don't take my or anyone else's final opinion on your choice of a machine, because it may not be best for your unique conditions. Test drive one at a dealer. Make a road trip out of it if necessary. Catch a flight if you're really really serious about detecting. I've done the "Goldilocks" thing more than once. Too heavy, cheap plastic, expensive accessories, or just didn't like it.
    Tahts-a-dats-ago likes this.

us
    Apr 2009
    1442 times
    By now you might be thinking about getting a bowling ball. Just give it your best shot and get one, use it and learn it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51YWml35zlL._SX425_.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	1698429
    smokeythecat likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    19539 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Or a shovel
    Escape likes this.

us
    Nov 2011
    XP Deus
    775 times
    Since you are new to the hobby get something easy to learn and use. Garrett AT Pro might not be the best detector out there, but it's been a best seller for good reason--easy to learn and easy to use. You can probably find a nice used one.
    Last edited by signal_line; Apr 02, 2019 at 05:07 PM.
    Love transcends this world we live in to Heaven.
    I'll leave it to you to figure out where the opposite goes.

If your heart is in it you will find a thousand ways to achieve your goal.
    If your heart is not in it you will find a thousand excuses.

Ouija Board and map dowsing , one and the same. Just tape a map onto the Ouija Board and you have map dowsing.
    Works great if you like wild goose chases and snipe hunts!

L-rods are obsolete.

May you never take one single breath for granted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links