Upvote 0

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm in the market for a new machine also. If buying now the Equinox 800, Deus Orx, or the Anfibio multi. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. Deus has good ergonomics/lightweight, Equinox shoots multi frequencies down the pipe for higher mineralized soil types, Anfibio has the concentric coil options and I like their VDI screen layout but heavier at 3.7 pounds.

If you can wait....this year might see some more new detectors that could be game changers....First Texas may bring out their new detector based on the Manta Ray pulse technologies, Makro may have a new detector as well. So is it worth the wait?....I say yes it is unless you need a machine right now.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You will get a lot of suggestions regarding this. If I may suggest, first figure out what type of hunting you would most likely be doing. Relic hunting, coin hunting, nugget or gold hunting, or a MD that can do it all. Then if you want a waterproof detector for the beach or fresh water, or one for dry land, or again one MD for both. Once you've pretty much narrowed this down watch videos on Utube. They have videos on most every make and model. Utube is a most helpful tool. Best of luck to you in your search and decision. I mention to wish you A Big Welcome to the Tnet forum from Georgia. We are glad to have you.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like devldog mentioned, we need to know where you're detecting and what you are trying to find.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will get a lot of suggestions regarding this. If I may suggest, first figure out what type of hunting you would most likely be doing. Relic hunting, coin hunting, nugget or gold hunting, or a MD that can do it all. Then if you want a waterproof detector for the beach or fresh water, or one for dry land, or again one MD for both. Once you've pretty much narrowed this down watch videos on Utube. They have videos on most every make and model. Utube is a most helpful tool. Best of luck to you in your search and decision.

Hard to improve upon this succinct list. But I'll add: visual ID or beep & dig, multi-tone or single tone, notch filters or single discrimination, analog or program, breakdown convenience for backpacking.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
You will be hard pressed to find people with an opinion on that here...

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello I'm new to the Forum...
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Jerdog515! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

...If you can give me good and bad. Minelab 800 or 600, Garrett AT pro or Max...
tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - You might consider browsing forms Brands > Minelab and Brands > Garrett.

3rd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't go wrong with an Equinox 800, or even a 600 for that matter. I can't find much not to like with them. If I had criticisms it would be that 1. the build quality could be better. 2. There could be more memory for more saved programs, and 3. These days there's little reason why any new multifrequency machine could not have a color screen with spectrograph like the V3i or target trace type target analysis. Color screens are no longer expensive at all, and lithium ion or lithium polymer can maintain battery life. Color screens with color coded frequency reaction to targets is a very useful tool in my opinion.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're unsure then I recommend you go to a dealer or club if nearby to try them out to see which one you'd like. You could also talk it over with those people as an education on their first hand experience is great too.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Tough question to answer without knowing where you’re going to use it. Probably a ML 800 if I were to guess.
Welcome to TreasureNet!

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome Jerdog!
Great advice all around! Performance is where "You" find it, and there is no such thing as one perfect machine. Consider the "W's" of detecting. "Where" you'll be detecting, "What" you'll be detecting and "Which" detectors could be used or "Which detectors do you need more information about. You've already answered the"Why" your going to be detecting or you wouldn't be looking for the replacement. Many here with great advice!
Good luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net from Northern Virginia :skullflag: You are so right about metal detectors and cars! I have not used nor even seen the NOX 600/800 in action live but many on this forum that I highly respect love them, me I like the AT series. If you have a detector shop or club that you can go to and check a variety of machines out in real time that would be the best way to compare before you make a choice. Just my two cents. Have fun and Good Luck:icon_thumleft:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally have 7 different machines, all of them have their merits.

But for a new guy to the hobby, the first machine I would recommend - if you can find one - is the Tesoro Tejon. I've spent too many bucks on my hobby aspirations, but the first detector I tend to go to is the Tejon.

It is a beep & dig machine which goes very deep. It beeps, you dig. Others can be just confusing and too much for a simplistic approach.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. Everyone here has an opinion, I currently own machines from three different manufacturers.

With that said, it really depends on what you want to do with it. I would absolutely drive to a dealer to demo anything you want to buy. I have made several purchase mistakes not doing that.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome. Everyone here has an opinion, I currently own machines from three different manufacturers.

With that said, it really depends on what you want to do with it. I would absolutely drive to a dealer to demo anything you want to buy. I have made several purchase mistakes not doing that.

I can not agree more with this. If you have a dealer anywhere near close please go there and look. If they give you a good deal then even better. Consider it a road trip if that's what it takes. A lot of the dealers sponsored here will give you a much better deal than what you can otherwise find so give them a call before you dedicate yourself to buying elsewhere once you know what you want.

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Deepseeker. Keep it simple. It's the time you spend researching for good sites that will determine the quantity and quality of your finds.
Best of luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have 7 different machines, all of them have their merits.

But for a new guy to the hobby, the first machine I would recommend - if you can find one - is the Tesoro Tejon. I've spent too many bucks on my hobby aspirations, but the first detector I tend to go to is the Tejon.

It is a beep & dig machine which goes very deep. It beeps, you dig. Others can be just confusing and too much for a simplistic approach.

I'm more of the opposite opinion on this. I've seen too many people get a beep and dig machine only to toss it into a closet because they only found a bunch of junk on their first outing. Let's face it, most newbies first detecting site is either their own yard or the closest public park/school. Neither are the easiest site to hunt for keepers these days, and more so with a newbie trying to figure out what all these signals are. With some decent discrimination, you can have success right off the bat. A more sophisticated machine with turn on an go programs will make it easier to have that instant gratification that newbies always seem to want.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm more of the opposite opinion on this. I've seen too many people get a beep and dig machine only to toss it into a closet because they only found a bunch of junk on their first outing. Let's face it, most newbies first detecting site is either their own yard or the closest public park/school. Neither are the easiest site to hunt for keepers these days, and more so with a newbie trying to figure out what all these signals are. With some decent discrimination, you can have success right off the bat. A more sophisticated machine with turn on an go programs will make it easier to have that instant gratification that newbies always seem to want.

Beep and dig machines are absolutely the best bang for a beginners buck. They do have Discrimination knobs that can pretty much assure most trash is eliminated and nothing but pennies dimes quarters and silver are found. As the person gets more comfortable with the machine the knob can be lowered to accept more targets.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
jerdog, what ever you buy look for a machine that has options. Its the coil, always remember that. The coil controls the type of hunt, how you will hunt and the manner in which you'll hunt. Concentric coils pinpoint well, DD's are great for large area and heavy mineral locations, small coils for trash or gold nuggets, large coils for fields and open area. What ever you buy make sure it has a ground balance or ground grab feature, and the ability to buy different coil options.
Good Luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread