Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: What detector to buy?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2019
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What detector to buy?

Hello I'm new to the Forum and was curious on peoples opinions on what to buy. I know its like asking Chevy or Ford. I had a cheap detector and am looking to spend under $1000 on a new one. If you can give me good and bad. Minelab 800 or 600, Garrett AT pro or Max.

Thanks for your input.
    devldog, vpnavy and BLK HOLE like this.

May 2017
    Kansas
    Whites 6000, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
    26 times
    Well I'm in the market for a new machine also. If buying now the Equinox 800, Deus Orx, or the Anfibio multi. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. Deus has good ergonomics/lightweight, Equinox shoots multi frequencies down the pipe for higher mineralized soil types, Anfibio has the concentric coil options and I like their VDI screen layout but heavier at 3.7 pounds.

If you can wait....this year might see some more new detectors that could be game changers....First Texas may bring out their new detector based on the Manta Ray pulse technologies, Makro may have a new detector as well. So is it worth the wait?....I say yes it is unless you need a machine right now.
    devldog likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO,
    2804 times
    Relic Hunting
    You will get a lot of suggestions regarding this. If I may suggest, first figure out what type of hunting you would most likely be doing. Relic hunting, coin hunting, nugget or gold hunting, or a MD that can do it all. Then if you want a waterproof detector for the beach or fresh water, or one for dry land, or again one MD for both. Once you've pretty much narrowed this down watch videos on Utube. They have videos on most every make and model. Utube is a most helpful tool. Best of luck to you in your search and decision. I mention to wish you A Big Welcome to the Tnet forum from Georgia. We are glad to have you.
    Last edited by devldog; Mar 11, 2019 at 10:58 AM.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6546 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Like devldog mentioned, we need to know where you're detecting and what you are trying to find.
    RustyGold and devldog like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1081 times
    Quote Originally Posted by devldog View Post
    You will get a lot of suggestions regarding this. If I may suggest, first figure out what type of hunting you would most likely be doing. Relic hunting, coin hunting, nugget or gold hunting, or a MD that can do it all. Then if you want a waterproof detector for the beach or fresh water, or one for dry land, or again one MD for both. Once you've pretty much narrowed this down watch videos on Utube. They have videos on most every make and model. Utube is a most helpful tool. Best of luck to you in your search and decision.
    Hard to improve upon this succinct list. But I'll add: visual ID or beep & dig, multi-tone or single tone, notch filters or single discrimination, analog or program, breakdown convenience for backpacking.
    devldog, RustyGold and GeoW like this.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

Running 2019 CRH: Boxes of halves searched: 69; dimes: 6
    Total skunk boxes: 49 halves (71%), 5 dimes (83%)
    90% halves from boxes: 30
    40% halves from boxes: 112
    Silver dimes from boxes: 1
    Silver halves from teller trays: 16 - 40% halves
    Coinstar silver: 3 quarters, 1 dime

us
    I dig deep holes

May 2004
    Camano Island, WA
    CTX3030, Many more on a rotating basis. Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
    1173 times
    You will be hard pressed to find people with an opinion on that here...
    devldog, BLK HOLE and digger460 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    12758 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerdog515 View Post
    Hello I'm new to the Forum...
    1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Jerdog515! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerdog515 View Post
    ...If you can give me good and bad. Minelab 800 or 600, Garrett AT pro or Max...
    2nd - You might consider browsing forms Brands > Minelab and Brands > Garrett.
    3rd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of 's Supporting Vendors.
    devldog likes this.
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

.:: Rules and Guidelines ::.
    .:: NOTICE - You must be a Charter Member to sell on Treasure Net (Forum: Charter Member Classifieds) - NOTICE ::.

us
    Aug 2016
    Middleburgh, NY
    Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
    166 times
    You can't go wrong with an Equinox 800, or even a 600 for that matter. I can't find much not to like with them. If I had criticisms it would be that 1. the build quality could be better. 2. There could be more memory for more saved programs, and 3. These days there's little reason why any new multifrequency machine could not have a color screen with spectrograph like the V3i or target trace type target analysis. Color screens are no longer expensive at all, and lithium ion or lithium polymer can maintain battery life. Color screens with color coded frequency reaction to targets is a very useful tool in my opinion.
    3cylbill likes this.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    303 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    If you're unsure then I recommend you go to a dealer or club if nearby to try them out to see which one you'd like. You could also talk it over with those people as an education on their first hand experience is great too.
    RobNC and beerguy like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600 720i Stealth Scoop
    6424 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Tough question to answer without knowing where you’re going to use it. Probably a ML 800 if I were to guess.
    Welcome to TreasureNet!

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    303 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    Oops, shame on me. Welcome to T-NET Jerdog515.

us
    It is what it is, until it "Is" what it is.

Aug 2013
    Northern Utah
    I currently run White's Spectra V3i wireless, Fisher F-70, Garrett AT-Pro, Minelab Etrac. I have owned other Fisher, Teknetics & Garrett models. Hands on with Equinox 800, Garrett AT-Max, & New Chase
    160 times
    Metal Detecting
    Welcome Jerdog!
    Great advice all around! Performance is where "You" find it, and there is no such thing as one perfect machine. Consider the "W's" of detecting. "Where" you'll be detecting, "What" you'll be detecting and "Which" detectors could be used or "Which detectors do you need more information about. You've already answered the"Why" your going to be detecting or you wouldn't be looking for the replacement. Many here with great advice!
    Good luck!
    Stay Gold!
    Opie

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche diggers, and the custom made Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    4150 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Welcome to T-Net from Northern Virginia You are so right about metal detectors and cars! I have not used nor even seen the NOX 600/800 in action live but many on this forum that I highly respect love them, me I like the AT series. If you have a detector shop or club that you can go to and check a variety of machines out in real time that would be the best way to compare before you make a choice. Just my two cents. Have fun and Good Luck
    RustyGold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17083 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I personally have 7 different machines, all of them have their merits.

But for a new guy to the hobby, the first machine I would recommend - if you can find one - is the Tesoro Tejon. I've spent too many bucks on my hobby aspirations, but the first detector I tend to go to is the Tejon.

It is a beep & dig machine which goes very deep. It beeps, you dig. Others can be just confusing and too much for a simplistic approach.
    Last edited by DeepseekerADS; Mar 14, 2019 at 02:34 PM.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    19539 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Welcome. Everyone here has an opinion, I currently own machines from three different manufacturers.

With that said, it really depends on what you want to do with it. I would absolutely drive to a dealer to demo anything you want to buy. I have made several purchase mistakes not doing that.
    RobNC, Loco-Digger and Opie like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links