Why people sell new metal detectors?

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread could have been called why people are selling the Nox (including myself) but I thought I should keep it more general because I feel it applies across the board.

- These are just my thoughts and I will be the first to admit I have been guilty of all of these as a relatively newbie to the hobby.
- Also I wouldn't say negative things about the Nox because I do believe it is on of the best multi-purpose detectors on the market at an somewhat affordable entry level price.

1. Machines take time to learn - If we aren't getting desired results it is easier to blame the machine over location, lack of research, and/or knowledge of the operator.
2. One feature - All it takes is one small feature to rub a detectorist or at least me the wrong way and you will start looking (ergonomics, weight, vdi, tones, backlight, etc..)
2.5 - One new feature - All it takes is one new feature and many of use will buy it to try it.
3. Chasing Depth - "This machine can hit a dime a X inches this machine can too but with better VDI" (usually has little to no bearing on real world conditions)
4. Over Buying - Say for example you hunt casually at school playgrounds and your yard do you need a $800 dollar machine that takes 100 hours to learn properly to dig 3-4" clad?
5. Unrealistic Expectations - This seems to be what happens when you read or watch someone dig lots of good stuff with a machine or you buy a mid level machine and expect to get the same performance of a $1000 dollar machine.
(There are very few $300 to $500 dollar machines that can do what the $1000 dollar plus machines can do)

Bonus* - This may be a relatively new reason but I think the Nox specifically really drove the prices down on a lot of used machines and now people are able to get machines they otherwise wouldn't have considered buying new. When you can buy a used Tejon or an F75 or V3i for under $600 or even as low as $300 (Those just a few heavy hitters that are seeing a big price dip this last year)

Can you think of reasons I missed?

Upvote 0

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
900 bucks isn't much for a lot of people anymore (to buy a NOX 800); they try it, don't like it, sell it. end of story.

On a related topic touched on, I think every time we post a great find (GOLD RING) we contribute to the belief that metal detecting is easy and look what ya find! Who wouldn't want to try it? When was the last time you read a post, from a seasoned MDer, about spending hrs MDing and finding just foil, aluminum, pull-tabs and bottle caps? Ok, add 3 cents too! You get the picture? When you read most of our finds posts it is the rare or at least scarce event when we actually found something worth posting. Can't count the times I came home with just a few cents and the rest junk after hunting 5 hrs in the surf. We don't report most of these times and lack of finds. Thus the bias.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
, .......about spending hrs MDing and finding just foil, aluminum, pull-tabs and bottle caps? Ok, add 3 cents too! You get the picture? When you read most of our finds posts it is the rare or at least scarce event when we actually found something worth posting. Can't count the times I came home with just a few cents and the rest junk after hunting 5 hrs in the surf. We don't report most of these times and lack of finds. Thus the bias.

Best finds are never published.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never sold one I just throw it in the attic for my backup for the backup lol. from my first bounty hunter and all my fishers, just did get the nox 800 and love it, have about 10 hrs on it and know it pretty good. I usally only change detectors when mine getting wore out. People need to get use to the machine and not wanting it to match them because that day will never come, just learn what you have the more you use it the more youll match it.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
900 bucks isn't much for a lot of people anymore (to buy a NOX 800); they try it, don't like it, sell it. end of story.

100HRS is ALOT of time for some people. Time is my biggest issue these days. Its the main reason why I havent bought another detector in the last 12 months. Would love a nox but then it would be a wardrobe ornament while the warranty ebbs away...

Also when people realise its just another tector and it can only find whats there...

chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread