Why people sell new metal detectors?

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread could have been called why people are selling the Nox (including myself) but I thought I should keep it more general because I feel it applies across the board.

- These are just my thoughts and I will be the first to admit I have been guilty of all of these as a relatively newbie to the hobby.
- Also I wouldn't say negative things about the Nox because I do believe it is on of the best multi-purpose detectors on the market at an somewhat affordable entry level price.

1. Machines take time to learn - If we aren't getting desired results it is easier to blame the machine over location, lack of research, and/or knowledge of the operator.
2. One feature - All it takes is one small feature to rub a detectorist or at least me the wrong way and you will start looking (ergonomics, weight, vdi, tones, backlight, etc..)
2.5 - One new feature - All it takes is one new feature and many of use will buy it to try it.
3. Chasing Depth - "This machine can hit a dime a X inches this machine can too but with better VDI" (usually has little to no bearing on real world conditions)
4. Over Buying - Say for example you hunt casually at school playgrounds and your yard do you need a $800 dollar machine that takes 100 hours to learn properly to dig 3-4" clad?
5. Unrealistic Expectations - This seems to be what happens when you read or watch someone dig lots of good stuff with a machine or you buy a mid level machine and expect to get the same performance of a $1000 dollar machine.
(There are very few $300 to $500 dollar machines that can do what the $1000 dollar plus machines can do)

Bonus* - This may be a relatively new reason but I think the Nox specifically really drove the prices down on a lot of used machines and now people are able to get machines they otherwise wouldn't have considered buying new. When you can buy a used Tejon or an F75 or V3i for under $600 or even as low as $300 (Those just a few heavy hitters that are seeing a big price dip this last year)

Can you think of reasons I missed?

Upvote 0

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we used to have local dealers where you could try the machine out and see if you like it . you can't tell the balance of a detector or the sounds it makes . now you have to buy the machine to see if you like it...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest thing I've seen over the years is people not wanting to invest the time to learn the machine, they have to do some work. The second thing is their buddy is on a good spot pulling good stuff, you're not. So it has to be the machine right? Couldn't be your buddys on a sweet spot, or maybe you needed to do a little more than read the quick setup sheet. Biggest thing is a lot of the people I've talked to can't figure out why they aren't finding big treasure like the guys in the magazines etc.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's #1. Some folks just aren't taking the time to learn a new machine. They take it out, and start making settings adjustments like a crazy person right off the bat. Then they wonder why it's not working correctly. Or they pick a super complicated machine for their first detector. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but they will still have to learn it nonetheless. If said person doesn't have the patience to learn it, down the road it goes.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
eman, one reason not listed. I sometimes have to buy a new machine to use for its review or to see how it works in comparison to other machines. Some people will buy it to try it then sell it to try the next new model. But its true with your #1 list of time spent getting to know the detector. Its amazing to me how model loyal some are with a detector. The business of selling detectors has been such recently that the prices had to be dropped to get people out buying them again. I don't look at Minelabs EQ 800 as being responsible for that I believe the costs were already coming down before it came out. We forget how the cost had been driven up for years during the heyday. The United States market is maxed, its a European or other continent sell point now with more emphasis on gold hunting. I still see the prices dropping further to keep old and new buyers buying.
Great Post!
Stay Gold!
Opie

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the old proverbial "the grass is greener on the other side" in my eyes.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco Digger nailed it. I have resold different brand machines mostly due to ergonomics of the units or ... wait...that was all. Ergonomics, the one stunk, the other was just too heavy for me.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, I forgot one of my biggest pet peeves. I really hate seeing junky detectors in sporting goods stores or at Wally world. I feel bad for the guys buying this junk, going out & it breaks or worse wouldn't find a hubcap under a half inch of dirt. They get disenchanted throw it in the closet and miss out on a good hobby. Can't count how many times I've managed to convince folks to spend a few more bucks on something that'll work. Hopefully most of these folks are still out swinging!

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it is a number of things. #1 Metal Detecting is an addictive thing. We all have our own personal tastes and expectations. It was mentioned there is a lack of local dealers in lots of areas. I agree with this. There was once a place about an hour from here and the guy sold a number of brands. You could go look, hold it, and he would even do air tests for you with it. Those days are over. All he sells now are a couple brands and they are not even mid range units. He's getting older too (in his 80's). Most of us don't have the opportunity to do that part because of a lack of local resources to us. So we buy something based on a lot of different factors thinking "hey this is going to be the bee's knees". Truthfully we all process things differently and you don't realize it until you try something an amount of time. And metal detectors are a lot like cars. Either you love it and how it drives (you even name it) or you don't. IF you have paid a decent amount of money on something the expectations are higher. So unless you click 100% with the detector it's really easy for your mind to get into a loop about "well what if I h ad gotten the more expensive one, or what if it had this miniscule setting how would that change things?" The human mind is a mystery and as we get older and more world-wiser that just makes it worse! I believe a lot of people call it "set in their ways".

There are many good units out there for sale for the RIGHT person. Sadly it sometimes takes going through a few detectors to find that ideal connection. A shame really more local dealers aren't available for a lot of us that even offer rentals, but in those cases they usually only rent out low buck machines and we want to test those higher end units. A test garden behind a shop would do wonders to make some sales and have satisfied users that won't sell their recently acquired detector. How a detector behaves, sounds, and handles inside a shop vs outside in the field can be very different. It's sort of like cranking up a new car you are looking at and restricted to it being in the showroom and no road test available.

Lots of factors and this is a very good post topic. Gets us to thinking. Hopefully more people out there can admit they are sort of addicted to simply "playing with" a new model and like the thrill of seeing how it operates compared to previous ones they have used. *shrugs* It's different for all of us, that reason and the experience of it.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we used to have local dealers where you could try the machine out and see if you like it . you can't tell the balance of a detector or the sounds it makes . now you have to buy the machine to see if you like it...
M

Well said!

Allot of it depends on your needs and what you are going to hunt. I spent 2k on a CTX and quickly realized it was not a machine i was going to be able to hunt cellar holes with. If i was a beach or park guy the CTX would be perfect. All we can do is watch videos and buy and try. Luckly the resale value is good on name brand equipment.

Last edited:

Bryan1776

Jan 1, 2019
Ohio
Detector(s) used
WHITES MX SPORT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Humans in general are lazy creatures, they see some videos or hear someone talking and they want in on the "action".
They "Don't want to figure anything out on their on, just turn it on and dig up cool stuff. I was in Boston last summer for a training meeting with my company and took my MX Sport along for the ride. Had a whole weekend to hunt and some evenings. beach old homes ect. coworker thought this was cool and he was going to by a detector, and after 5 days of research he bought a AT Pro. I told him you had to put some effort into it, learning and the physical side of it. I should all the trash I dug up with it, didn't phase him.....he has been out about a half dozen times and found lots of pop tabs and the Pro sits in the closet! I think this happens a lot!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread could have been called why people are selling the Nox (including myself) but I thought I should keep it more general because I feel it applies across the board.

- These are just my thoughts and I will be the first to admit I have been guilty of all of these as a relatively newbie to the hobby.
- Also I wouldn't say negative things about the Nox because I do believe it is on of the best multi-purpose detectors on the market at an somewhat affordable entry level price.

1. Machines take time to learn - If we aren't getting desired results it is easier to blame the machine over location, lack of research, and/or knowledge of the operator.
2. One feature - All it takes is one small feature to rub a detectorist or at least me the wrong way and you will start looking (ergonomics, weight, vdi, tones, backlight, etc..)
2.5 - One new feature - All it takes is one new feature and many of use will buy it to try it.
3. Chasing Depth - "This machine can hit a dime a X inches this machine can too but with better VDI" (usually has little to no bearing on real world conditions)
4. Over Buying - Say for example you hunt casually at school playgrounds and your yard do you need a $800 dollar machine that takes 100 hours to learn properly to dig 3-4" clad?
5. Unrealistic Expectations - This seems to be what happens when you read or watch someone dig lots of good stuff with a machine or you buy a mid level machine and expect to get the same performance of a $1000 dollar machine.
(There are very few $300 to $500 dollar machines that can do what the $1000 dollar plus machines can do)

Bonus* - This may be a relatively new reason but I think the Nox specifically really drove the prices down on a lot of used machines and now people are able to get machines they otherwise wouldn't have considered buying new. When you can buy a used Tejon or an F75 or V3i for under $600 or even as low as $300 (Those just a few heavy hitters that are seeing a big price dip this last year)

Yep! Health goes downhill.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I had an ATPro for about a week, and absolutely hated some of its features.. the notch discrimination being the main one. I sold it!
I know a lot of people who swear by their ATPro ./. I spent my time swearing at it!

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi, are you saying you don't like the Nox and are selling already?

OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed several people selling their Equinox (Some may be upgrading from 600 to 800)

I sold mine for a few reasons (None of which have any bearing on if it is a good machine or not) - I still think its a great machine.
- VDI Range (I prefer a larger range of numbers as for me it makes it easier to remember different coin ranges)
- Backlight ( I hunt often between 7pm and 10pm and the Nox 600 light was too bright - probably could have tried some screen covers for this)
- Tones ( I picked up a used Whites machine and really liked the tones when it hit on coins)

All of these factors and the lower price of used machines made me want to try something else out. I like trying new machines almost as much as I like finding silver, so if I had the money I would buy an E-TRAC, CTX, DEUS & KRUZER if I could.

I can't tell you how the V3i performs yet in comparison but I can tell you that it is considerably heavier, not waterproof, & eats batteries. I do like the color screen, menu, light and the pin point switch on the bottom so we will see.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have noticed several people selling their Equinox (Some may be upgrading from 600 to 800)

I sold mine for a few reasons (None of which have any bearing on if it is a good machine or not) - I still think its a great machine.
- VDI Range (I prefer a larger range of numbers as for me it makes it easier to remember different coin ranges)
- Backlight ( I hunt often between 7pm and 10pm and the Nox 600 light was too bright - probably could have tried some screen covers for this)
- Tones ( I picked up a used Whites machine and really liked the tones when it hit on coins)

All of these factors and the lower price of used machines made me want to try something else out. I like trying new machines almost as much as I like finding silver, so if I had the money I would buy an E-TRAC, CTX, DEUS & KRUZER if I could.

I can't tell you how the V3i performs yet in comparison but I can tell you that it is considerably heavier, not waterproof, & eats batteries. I do like the color screen, menu, light and the pin point switch on the bottom so we will see.

Fair enough buddy. For sure the Nox isn't perfect(what detector is) but for the price I do think it's unbeatable. The nox will do me for now, until maybe a new beach/water manta technology machine comes out.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Eman100, your list was very well thought out. I agree with #1, as I see it all the time; people do not to take the time (100 hours+) to understand and gain confidence in its use! :icon_thumleft:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some people enjoy the buying more than the using. Newest, latest, more features, improved, gluten free.

Marketing is not lost on some audiences.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Loved it Charlie! can we add "Non-GMO" to that too,,,lol!!
Opie

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You and your family are on a tight budget.

You find TreasureNet, and you get the fever.

You don't consult with your wife and you order one on-line.

She sees the package first and asks what the heck it is when you get home from work.

She don't like you right then....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions