Upvote 0

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, that's the reality of faster target separation, and the Deus is one of the speedier ones.

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In heavy iron laden sites I guarantee you are missing good targets. We all are regardless of what machine we use. Some are better than others for various reasons. I hunt a lot of plowed field homestead sites fullof iron, nails that I can "clean it out" by hitting it hard for a year or two, the leave it go for a couple of years of plowing, go back and it's like a virgin site.
No till stinks though.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
RvRoamer, I wouldn't rate this as a fantastic test of anything. I mean nothing rude to the poster or maker of the test. There is no accurate ground balancing or machine stabilization taken for this test, the black top surface the boards are on don't help and you can't possibly know whats under the other boards. Also each machine is using a different coil. The trouble with this kind of test, is the one machine would probably hit it going the other way and the opposite machine would not and vice a versa. So much depends on the program of the machine and most important "the coil" The industry and private reviewers will do a type of X board with nails and usually two or three pennies through a pattern with iron nails or some iron target with the pennies in key locations. This is a test for tracking, blee is right heavy iron is very difficult to find targets in.
This is why its recommended to cross the locations several different directions, one trip length wise then across or side to side, point being, change the direction your going to change the angles the coil comes across the ground at. This helps free up the target zones.
You'll notice as he moves the coil slightly different with the CTX and he hits the target at 1:20 or there about.
Good luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opie nailed it, a ton of variables to deal with but i must say the deus looks good, only thing i dislike is the battery pack for coil, headphones, and of course head unit. A lot to charge up and keep track of.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our best tests are when we are in the actual field, one of us gets a target, the other brings a different brand machine over and tried to find the target. The results depend on the type soil you are in the what is in the ground besides the relic.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
don't forget: There is a difference between "see through" and "see around". Ie.: separation (when two targets are located close-by each other) versus 2 targets that are one over the other (the nail OVER the coin).

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen this test before and I believe Calabash did a comparison video using the 6" coil on the Nox. (both performed very well)
I would have liked to seen him approach the target with a typical sweep as opposed to the typical 6-8" sweep you would do if you already suspected a target or targets. When I try these tests out I ask myself "Would I have missed this if I was just walking at my normal pace" - So I approach the test at my normal walking and sweep range 18-24" in iron.
Also if you notice for most of the test the coil is never more than 3 or 4 inches from the center of the target. (I can nearly duplicate this even with the V3i 10" DD coil if I don't let the coil pass to far over the iron) >40% of the coil and I lose the target. ***In fairness I had to separate the nails even further and reduce the recovery rate to something I probably wouldn't run for lack of depth and I spent most of the evening playing with a machine I am still learning the basics.

Now I still think it is very impressive (how realistic is it in the field, I may never know) but that doesn't take away from the recovery and/or unmasking ability of the DEUS. I would like to see someone with a Tesoro duplicate this test. My gut says it may pass with flying colors due to the unmasking ability of the Tesoro.

Last edited:

poppat63

Greenie
Jan 2, 2014
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Tesoro Toltec2, Fisher1212X . Also in the house, (my boys machines) a Garrett ace 250, and a Bounty Hunter 505.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first got my 3030, I ran it stock for almost 2 years. I'm from the old school and technology and me do not get along at times. I bought the CTX 3030 handbook and started leaning different features on my machine. One of the features that I think helped me a lot in old square nail laden farm fields and trashy parks was the target trace pinpoint.I have found some things I believe I would have missed if I was not using the target trace pinpoint feature.The fellow in this video did not use the to its full potential seeing he did not use the Target Trace Pinpoint feature on the CTX 3030

Last edited:
OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the great comments and opinions.

The newer machines like the Nox or deus are a bit quicker in the target separation dept....that to me is a big positive. But how much of a positive.

GL and HH

Last edited:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just look at the RESULTS....i.e. the pile of silver my CTX has found. I’ve got 8-10 hours on the 800 with NO coins besides one war nickel. These are 2 Parks I’ve emptied out with the CTX. I worry about what I DO find,not what I maybe didn’t find. I’m far from sold yet...

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really wanted to duplicate this test with the V3i so tonight I cut some 2x4's and set this up. (I'll post a video tomorrow) I reset my Coin, Coin & Jewelry, and Hi-pro programs to default on the v3i and had no problem duplicating this test. Especially if I decrease recovery delay to 35, which I believe is the default for the MXT Pro, but even with the stock programs I could sweep back and forth without issue with the same size rusty nails.

I could also however make it fail the test easily though. I tested with a dime and if I put the dime below two instead of just one 2x4 or 3" below the iron then I started having real problems. Also if I bent one of the nails to a U shape or if I used a long rusty square nail 6" longer than the 2x4, then it would mask the target. If I ran the test with a paperclip it would pass, but if I opened the paperclip to a v shape it would mask the target.

I don't know if this is true for all machines but the V3i seemed to be fine if the iron was straight but when it had a clear curve shape (like a coin edge..maybe) then it couldn't unmask the target.

I was actually pretty impressed though! Its a fun little test

rayadientes

Mar 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
Surprised CTX can't locate the coin, I always thought was one of the best ones.
I knew Deus XP was really good, but this video demonstrates, is first class detector

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the Etrac doing pretty well in a nail vs coin situation. Fast forward to 4:45: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GM9lD8YBXGs

Different machines unmask in different ways. Tom in CA gave an example of that. They're also made for different purposes. I'll take a faster machine when hunting sites with lots of iron trash but little modern trash. The ctx would be my choice when the coins are deep and I need more than just a non-ferrous I'D.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the Etrac doing pretty well in a nail vs coin situation. Fast forward to 4:45: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GM9lD8YBXGs

Different machines unmask in different ways. Tom in CA gave an example of that. They're also made for different purposes. I'll take a faster machine when hunting sites with lots of iron trash but little modern trash. The ctx would be my choice when the coins are deep and I need more than just a non-ferrous I'D.

That was great! What well thought out and explained video.. I was impressed for a machine that is suppose to have a very slow recovery or so I have heard. I would like to see that test run when the nails are above the target but It certainly looks like it would perform well.
Thanks!

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for being really late on posting this video. I was actually waiting on a camera for my birthday and this is the first video I shot with it. So bear with me on the quality.
I used stock HI-pro on the V3i with just the volume turned down a bit and the recovery turned down to 35.

small rusty iron nails it performed pretty good but the larger iron it just can't unmask a good target that close. This could be due to my inexperience with the machine (I'm really new to the V3i) or it could also be a combination of an unrealistic test without real soil halo conditions.

Let me know what you think. I would love to do more videos but I'm a total newb to recording videos. HH Eman

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
So drop the gain, or lower the threshold, eman. This test is all about power. Too hot and you loose to too much energy. Really for almost any machine drop the power or sensitivity when your above ground doing this type of test and bump the recovery speed. You know, if you give me a little time to thaw out, out here I'll show ya some fun test ideas like this.
Opie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread