Persistence pays off in a small way

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To fellow detectorist who don’t have patience and say gee I don’t find anything worth while. This hobby can be looked at as just go to the same local parks or ball field and find mostly pocket change which is the case mostly and for sure pop can tabs etc. the other is my friend is a true mover and shaker, he will study maps online that anyone can do over and over to find where old homes used to be, first I can assure u where we live in western Pennsylvania we don’t have finds like in the south and out west,we are limited in ways because of history events so u wanna find something different older, go online learn to read those maps, asking folks is helpful but they sometimes forget and frankly not to many folks 100 years old able to tell you. It takes a not lazy attitude or u will get bored like fishing, do your homework. In ending we found 2 silver dimes 1924 and 1940, wheat pennies and yes some nature’s scrap but regardless dig it. That’s my story as of yesterday. Please comment it’s all welcome

Upvote 0

GameOfTones

May 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research is 98% of successful hunting. The rest is skill and a little luck.
And it's not all about your machine. I have a Nox and other great machines but it was an ACE 250 that found my Confederate buckle!

It amazes me how many hunters don't do any serious research. All the detailed researching I do is free, whether it's online or in person.

And let me tell you, nothing feels better than making a find at a place you have been researching for months or even years sometimes. When that first silver or relic pops out and confirms your hard bookwork, that's the feeling of a real treasure hunter.

At a ghost town site that had no buldings or foundations left, there was one photo of the town that showed a distinctive ridge in the distance. That was the only landmark I could zero in on.
Once on the site, after several hours of hunting, I looked up and there was the ridge through the trees and nearly in the same position as in the photo.
I instantly thought of Indiana Jones "X never marks the spot."
But if you do the research, sometimes there is an X in plain sight that others will never know about!

HH!

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir I don’t no where your from but we sure would like to find civil war related items, u c but here in western Pennsylvania, specifically Mercer county and I border Ohio Trumbull county we don’t have much if any so we fight on to our territory, u c Indians where the early settlers here, anyhow I appreciate u responding back. Good luck and let us no what find, your friend

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree 100% on the research. Years ago, I visited a library and looked up the older local newspapers and found a boy scout troup had an outing on a large hill used in the winter for sledding. One of the scouts broke his arm and that's why the article was written. The article said the hill had been used for sledding since the '30s.

I confirmed with the owner it was ok to detect and my very first coin was a 1946S Washington quarter. Found quite a few other silvers and wheats too.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AF571A13-D094-453A-8EC6-AF2A2540837D.jpeg I’ve been doing constant research since I started in January. I haven’t found any silver yet but I’m still plugging away. Amazing how much is around us we don’t know is there. Here’s a photo taken off google earth. There was a small town here that the only remnants visible are from the old rail line. 1880’s. Didn’t find anything there yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions