Metal detector goes viral on specific area

EinoSepp

Mar 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I dicovered a approx 1000 scuare meters area (wild quess) where my Garrett ACE 400 goes wild. It just beebs between 50-60 on the display. This also happens 4m off the ground (climbed the house roof). Even when I turn the detection level to lowest.
Only when I turn the coil to 90 degrees with the ground it stops.

I tried removing/changing battaries. Still same result.
Did some repetated tests on other places all works fine. Going back to this place goes viral again.

What kind of forces can have this impact on detector?

All I know about this place that 2km from there is a old well that every year floods. Once or twice a year approx 100L water in second comes from the well. Hard to belive that this could be the reason.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Electro-magnetic signals. Like: overhead power lines, nearby electric motors, buried cables, invisible dog fences, nearby radio towers, spark plugs, fluorescent lighting, site were a prior home was demolished and the soil is loaded with scrap metal, etc.

OP
OP
E

EinoSepp

Mar 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Electro-magnetic signals. Like:
overhead power lines, - NO
nearby electric motors - NO
buried cables - NO, would not have effect on 4m high
invisible dog fences - NO
nearby radio towers - NO
spark plugs - NO
fluorescent lighting- NO

Strange thing is that it's everywhere on the area, does not make difference if you walk around - does not stop.
Only when turning the coil 90 degrees with ground it stops.

Any other ideas?

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually underground power line could do it even 4m abowe the surphace. There is no electric vector component, magnetic, however can penetrate the ground and up, cosidering the power such line must feed to the entire block or maybe an industrial complex.
Cureing the problem by changing the polarisation of coil - i.e. turning it along the magnetic vector is definitively an EMI signature.
Or the directional communication RF link operating at high power, you may not see or are aware of.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
space ship landing area....

Haldean

Feb 11, 2019
Burlington NC
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit an area the other day when my detector went crazy. I thought something was wrong with my machine (AT-Max) but when I moved about ten feet out of the area it settled down to normal. I went back in the hot area and used my pin pointer and started finding melted aluminum drops every where. It looked like a transformer with aluminum windings must have melted down there. It was in an area of roughly 20 feet in diameter. All the drops I called them are about the size of a buckshot or slightly larger. Kind of freaked me out at first.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a 1840s store that had been used up through the 1970s. Every sweep of the detector was multiple pops & beeps. Every solid beep, I dug. Some signals would disappear as soon as I started digging. Then the owner came down and started talking about the store. Her dad owned the store in the 50s & 60s and he had a drink machine inside with a 5 gallon bucket under the bottle opener to catch the bottle caps. When the bucket got full, he would take it to the front door and fling them out into the parking area. Mystery solved.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a 1840s store that had been used up through the 1970s. Every sweep of the detector was multiple pops & beeps. Every solid beep, I dug. Some signals would disappear as soon as I started digging. Then the owner came down and started talking about the store. Her dad owned the store in the 50s & 60s and he had a drink machine inside with a 5 gallon bucket under the bottle opener to catch the bottle caps. When the bucket got full, he would take it to the front door and fling them out into the parking area. Mystery solved.
I remember a store back in my childhood that did the same thing with bottle caps. He used them to fill holes in the parking area. Hadn't thought about that in years. That would be like walking into a mine field.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's happening with the coil 4 meters off the ground, it's gotta be emi coming from somewhere.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using your frequency shift button? Step 1 is to try and find a quiet frequency.

chub

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
step 2 turn off your cell phone

chub

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds exactly like what happened to me a few years back. There was an area in a park that would wig out several detectors. Had a good idea what was going on & called the (other)power company. They sent out an "Emergency Response" truck. They detected a fault in a line that was feeding the whole block. They dug and found the city park people had nicked the line when installing a sprinkler pipe and just filled it back in. What ever you do, don't dig close to the spot!!!!! I worked for the other power company and have seen guys hand digging next to transformers like you see in neighborhoods get blown out of holes & burned badly.

I would highly suggest you call the power company and have them check the area for faults!!! It's free and you might save someones life.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sounds exactly like what happened to me a few years back. There was an area in a park that would wig out several detectors. Had a good idea what was going on & called the (other)power company. They sent out an "Emergency Response" truck. They detected a fault in a line that was feeding the whole block. They dug and found the city park people had nicked the line when installing a sprinkler pipe and just filled it back in. What ever you do, don't dig close to the spot!!!!! I worked for the other power company and have seen guys hand digging next to transformers like you see in neighborhoods get blown out of holes & burned badly.

I would highly suggest you call the power company and have them check the area for faults!!! It's free and you might save someones life.

I have actually dug up some power cables on the beach, w/o piercing them...they read as variable pennies or copper on CTX.

Upham

Feb 27, 2019
North Attleboro, MA
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, AT Max & ATX (new)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I found a trail that someone built up that went thru a swamp. They had to have brought in many tons of fill. While I was on that trail my machine went nuts but when I got off 20 feet or so it went back to normal. I figured it had something to do with the fill. I was also in an area yesterday where most of the rocks & boulders were hot. Drove me crazy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions