Need help finding the right metal detector

Simpleton

Tenderfoot
Mar 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to go metal detecting many years ago when I was younger. Now I decided I wanted to get back into it as a new hobby. I would like to use it mostly for the beach and also parks and other places. I also have a place in the desert where I could also use it. I don't want a cheap unit as I would like a better one that would last me a long time. I have found a deal on a Whites Spectra V3i Metal Detector but have read it may be overkill for a newby. What unit is a good one for my needs? Is new or used better? Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed. Get the 800 over the 600. It's within your budget.

Rusty, I haven't done beaches yet, but eyeing the Stealth scoops. Can't decide between the 720i or 920i. Which coil do you use for beach hunting?
Shooting Star,
Cudamark is a respected hunter so his response is a good suggestion. However, having used both and being primarily a beach and damp sand hunter I preferred the 720i over the 920i. I could get a little deeper and narrower when digging my targets where the 920i was a little too much for me. Technique and strength plays a role in this equation. If you’re in shape or your technique is good either one is a great choice.
Stealth Scoops are now being made in SoCal so being local makes a great asset for any kind of issue you may have in the future.
As always,
Best of Luck!
Rusty
Coils used: 11” and 12 x 15”

Shooting Star

Mar 3, 2019
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Simpleton - I sent you a PM.

@cudamark - so basically you're saying get both the 720i and 920i. lol.

@RustyGold - I read the 920i works well with the 11-inch coil since it's wide, but it is also shallower than the 720i. I do like the look of the 720i better & it digs deeper, just not as wide as the 920i. They are both almost identical in weight. I think I'm leaning now towards the 720i.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you’ll love it and after the first 40 holes you’ll know why it was a good choice.
Remember to cover your holes which is super important for the hobby/sport.
Good luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the 920 to be better in the surf. Being wider, I find it easier to get the target in one scoop. (and less likely to damage the target regardless of where you use it). With being pushed around by waves and the hole filling it constantly, that can be important. The weight difference between the two isn't much in their stock form. The handle choice makes more difference in that respect. I guess if you're really good at pin pointing in the surf, and are digging deep targets, the 720 would probably be better. Once I got the 920, the 720 rarely gets used unless I need it in the cobble/shells/rocks.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I find the 920 to be better in the surf. Being wider, I find it easier to get the target in one scoop. (and less likely to damage the target regardless of where you use it). With being pushed around by waves and the hole filling it constantly, that can be important. The weight difference between the two isn't much in their stock form. The handle choice makes more difference in that respect. I guess if you're really good at pin pointing in the surf, and are digging deep targets, the 720 would probably be better. Once I got the 920, the 720 rarely gets used unless I need it in the cobble/shells/rocks.
Perfectly good reason to purchase the 920i. Once in the water wider is better for that seemingly moving target. The increased width of the 920 helps to get the target on the first or second scoop (or third lol)!

langsy

Feb 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a minelab equinox 600 imo

I used to go metal detecting many years ago when I was younger. Now I decided I wanted to get back into it as a new hobby. I would like to use it mostly for the beach and also parks and other places. I also have a place in the desert where I could also use it. I don't want a cheap unit as I would like a better one that would last me a long time. I have found a deal on a Whites Spectra V3i Metal Detector but have read it may be overkill for a newby. What unit is a good one for my needs? Is new or used better? Thank you for your help.

Equinox 600 great for parks and great choice for water machine ,it’s light weight . I use mine in the ocean and on the beach and some parks , their is a equinox 800 but my opinion that one is good for prospecting. Nox 600 is about 650$

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox 600 great for parks and great choice for water machine ,it’s light weight . I use mine in the ocean and on the beach and some parks , their is a equinox 800 but my opinion that one is good for prospecting. Nox 600 is about 650$

If you can afford the extra initial cost, the 800 is better buy. It's more adjustable, comes with wireless headphones, and a wireless adapter for other wired headphones. If you don't need or want the wireless items, you can sell them to offset the difference in price and still have a more adjustable machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread