Recovery fee? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Recovery fee?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2016
    New Hampshire
    AT-Pro
    226 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    For free, but hopefully they let you search the yard for your own finds too. If you find the object they're looking for, it's nice to get a tip depending on value of object.

us
    Mar 2019
    KY
    Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
    102 times
    Metal Detecting
    Don't forget potential liability issues that could arise because insurance policies don't always cover injuries or negligent actions that occur during the course of commercial activities (which is what an insurance company may argue when you have a paid metal detectorist hunting on private property for a fee).

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10065 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    ... "I Don't refuse donations"
    That's what I do too. I just say: "Whatever tip you think is fair. And nothing if I'm unsuccessful" . Depends on the amount of travel time involved too.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    15607 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

ca
    Feb 2017
    Ontario
    XP Deus (2019) Fisher CZ-21 (2019) CTX 3030 (April 2017) AT Pro Garrett Carrot Pro Pointer Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6 Stealth 720i (BNIB) Home made beach scoop
    870 times
    My answer is depends........

If I'm out somewhere and somebody comes up to me and says "can you help me, I've just lost so and so", then ya I'll pop over and see what I can do for free.

This actually happened to me last year at a beach. A woman approached me and asked me if I could search her property for a lost gold ring as they were moving house in a few days, and likely wouldn't get another chance. I spent a few hours walking around her property, but sadly came up with nothing.

She said to me that I could anything I found but the ring, so I was okay with that.

The bonus to that part of the story is, even though I didn't find the ring, she has invited me to search her new beach front property this year. Oh and she gave me a ton of frozen raspberries for my few hours work.

Story 2

I had somebody contact me though another website and ask if I could search a family farm for anything that relates to WWI or WWII, family heirlooms, old coins and jewellery.

I mentioned that it would take me days if not weeks to cover all that ground, and what was in it for me if they were going to keep everything but the scrap iron?

His reply was oh I thought it would just take a few hours and I could give you $20.00 for your time. LOL.......

In the end it was agreed that he could keep all the Military stuff as that was his main priority, and that I could keep everything else. I made a promise to myself that if anything had a name on it that related to the family, I would give it back to him without compensation.

Turns out he doesn't live on the property anymore, and that the old guy that lives there has lost his marbles and thinks that I want to steal his copper cables?!? Hahahahaha.......

As you likely have already figured out the hunt didn't happen, but it sure opened my eyes to what people think our time is worth.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.
    Treasure is where you find it, trash is where they left it.

John

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    31875 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I like Jeffs Idea

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    21357 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

Mar 2014
    Pembroke Pines, Fl
    Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2. Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
    333 times
    If I'm at the beach or park and someone loses their ring i do it for free as im already there, it is the altruistic thing to do. However is someone calls me on my day off and requests i go find their ring i charge a flat $70 to account for gas, my time and knowledge, assuming i find it. If i don't i only charge $15 for gas.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2005
    Coastal Georgia
    XP Deus, XP ORX, Equinox 800, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
    219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blkcloud View Post
    If you were to have a little on the side business of recovering lost rings, jewelry, keys etc.. what would you charge?
    You're not serious are you?

g

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links