Hey guys, I need some help.

reskinsrock

Oct 23, 2006
Okay, I have had an Ace 250 for about a year now and I thought it was a really good machine up until I decided to take it relic hunting. I found a church that was established in 1652, was rebuilt in 1772, and has a one room school house on the property that was active until the early 1930's. No one has ever metal detected on this property, but all I can dig up is trash and modern coins. I am looking to find older coins and I really need some tips or help from an experienced Ace 250 hunter or just an experienced relic hunter. What are some good settings to try or some good areas to look. I've put in about four to five hours and have come away with almost absolutely nothing. Thanks for the help.
k.k.

Upvote 0

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
About all you could do is hunt in all metal and dig everything. I came to that point with my Ace and its not pretty. Sometimes you'll see that icon bouncing around and always wonder what if??? I don't have that problem now with my Cibola. Set it and dig. No confusion. I think the depth is lacking on the Ace as well. You may just be at a site that has been filled and all the goodies are out of your reach. Good luck!!!!
Greg

OP
OP
R

reskinsrock

Oct 23, 2006
I do know for a fact that the site has never been filled, in fact some dirt was bulldozed over a hill and I even detected that and all I found was clad. The ace does lack in depth, but I am going to try the bigger coil (9 by 12) tomorrow. The place is only 2 minutes from my house.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if soil conditions allow the machine to stay stable turn up your sensitivity a little higher, hunt with the larger coil, and try all metal. You can always switch back to disc. when you locate something and see what you got. Also the greater your depth the less the id will be correct, so those bouncy targets just might be something. Usually you can break the soil and then get a better reading. Sad but true the ace does have limitations, also keep in mind if the sight hasn't been hunted before you do need to go through and pick up all the modern coins and trash then keep going over the area every so often until you pick up the older stuff.

OP
OP
R

reskinsrock

Oct 23, 2006
Thanks for the advice, I will hit it again tomorrow and if anything of signifigance or cool comes up I will post it here since it was because of your help. If I don't post, well then it was a bust. Thanks for the help.
k.k.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reskinsrock said:
I found a church that was established in 1652, was rebuilt in 1772, and has a one room school house on the property that was active until the early 1930's. No one has ever metal detected on this property, but all I can dig up is trash and modern coins. k.k.

I just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in here....
The truth is that when I hear someone say that they know a place "has never been hunted" I have to believe that person has not been in the metal detecting hobby very long...
No insult intended, but I never make a determination of hunted or not until after I have hunted a place.
I have been places that were "New" to me.... and in the middle of nowhere, and I have found nothing...
And then I have been to places that I expected nothing and found a great many wonderful things.

A site that has not been hunted, in reality ... would yield thousands of targets, spread over many
many years, and they would be shallow and deep, and so many that you could not move your machine more than an inch or two without another signal.

If I go to a place and get no signals, or just the occasional wheat penny... then the site has been
hunted before at some time in the past.

Even if the landowner says "This is private property and I have never allowed anyone here before and I know it has not been hunted" If I find nothing, then I believe he just does not know the truth...

Metal detectors have been with us for almost 50 years.... and many people with huge amounts of
experience have blazed these trails long before me...
and maybe even before this guy bought his property...

I remember when I was in Spain and we would be traveling the country roads and you would see the
remains of some castle or watch tower in a field on top of a large hill....
and you would say... Man oh Man what would I give to hunt there....
Well really you would give nothing and you would get nothing....
We hunted a few places like this, and every one, after hiking in for an hour or more we arrive and start swinging the machine and .....
we find nothing... a few scraps of lead.... maybe a nail....
you say... what did these people lose.... well maybe they lost a lot..
But a castle on a hill for everyone to see is the 1st place the whole world will go to hunt when
metal detectors first were used in that country..... you can see it, it must be old, it must have lots of treasure lets all go there...

Sounds like your 300 year old church / school....

When there are lots of good targets in an acre of land then you find lots of targets....
When there is only one or two targets in that acre, it makes it almost impossible to find anything...

Some people on here would even want you to believe that this might be one of those mystical
places where everything that has been lost sank so deep that no detector can find any of it....
(of course they have never found anything there so they believe this)

Someone beat you to this place, and the best you can do is find a big tree with large shaded area
and go real slow, or find a big open grassy area and go real slow, or try walking the edge of the property and go real slow....
Or look for areas out of bounds of the "visible" property....
and then pray and hope that lady luck shines down just one more time....

Good Luck...
Richard

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
try another detector /even if you have to borrow a friends?if its that old and you are sure no one has looked it before/ it should have alot of targets? get or rent a minelab exp with a small coil about 4 inch /and go slow with it on the lowest area on the lot first /and work your way around and i bet you will start finding the good stuff?unless your not getting any targets and then try a big coil?you can sweep right over those little targets to fast sometimes with a big coil?thats what happened to me i started slowing down my swing and walk and searching with high power small coil and started finding the good stuff / it only took me 6 yrs to figure that out /i have been hunting for about 15 yrs now and think i got it /last time i went i found two very small halfdimes 1857 and 1839 i know i missed them before/ because i had been to that same lot about 20 times with a big coil walking to fast and swinging it way to fast/ like i was in a race ? goodluck/p.s. if that dosent work dig a fox trench about 2 ft. wide 2 ft deep and 20 ft.long in the middle of the old building foundation look threw every thing that comes out /and the bottom of the trench / / and cover and plant seed when your finished ha just joke but i did that one time at a good spot it turned out to be a great spot before i was done>

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread