Help spend my money. MXT Pro or Equinox 800?

Coinucopia

Nov 24, 2017
SE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MXT All Pro, Whites Treasuremaster, Fisher F5,
Multiple coil options
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Help spend my money. Whites MXT Pro or Minelab Equinox 800?

If I could buy both right now I would but I'm only budgeted for one in their price range. I hunt it all, coins, beach, relics, occasional nugget hunting out west when I visit family so a somewhat do it all machine with the features I want is in my sights. I've narrowed it down to these two. I've many years experience with Whites machines, they've never let me down and always performed well so the MXT Pro appeals to me. The Equinox 800 I'm still studying on and a plus to that is that Minelab offers a 15% military discount, which would bring that in under the cost of the Whites. Decisions, decisions :dontknow: Kinda on the fence here and welcome all opinions.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do it all plus nugget hunting, you can't go wrong with equinox 800. Don't get me wrong love my whites as well, but there just so much the equinox can do.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the Equinox and it's a really good machine as you already know but for me I really like the tones and vdi on the Whites machines. It's a personal preference but I don't think I could go back now.

OP
OP
Coinucopia

Coinucopia

Nov 24, 2017
SE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MXT All Pro, Whites Treasuremaster, Fisher F5,
Multiple coil options
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had the Equinox and it's a really good machine as you already know but for me I really like the tones and vdi on the Whites machines. It's a personal preference but I don't think I could go back now.

That's a factor for me as well. :icon_thumleft:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It comes down to personal preference. Try to TEST DRIVE both machines before you buy. Every time I DON'T test drive one I regret it.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd stick with a Whites if you're truly happy with the results you get with them. If not, then mingle with the Minelab. I love my 6 and 800. But.....thats just me.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan on doing any salt water beach hunts, get the Equinox, no contest. Same goes for nugget hunting.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Coinucopia, If you can afford the Minelab Eq 800 you can afford the Whites MX Sport. This machine will go head to head with the Minelab and not fill flimsy. The Mx Sport is a modified updated MXT and if you buy direct I believe you'll get the same discount as the Minelab.
Good Luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I could buy both right now I would but I'm only budgeted for one in their price range. I hunt it all, coins, beach, relics, occasional nugget hunting out west when I visit family so a somewhat do it all machine with the features I want is in my sights. I've narrowed it down to these two. I've many years experience with Whites machines, they've never let me down and always performed well so the MXT Pro appeals to me. The Equinox 800 I'm still studying on and a plus to that is that Minelab offers a 15% military discount, which would bring that in under the cost of the Whites. Decisions, decisions :dontknow: Kinda on the fence here and welcome all opinions.

Coinucopia: I actually have both, coincidentally, so I'll give you my opinion.
A quick history first: My son (now 15 years old) and I have been metal detecting together for almost a decade (!), and our first metal detector was a White's Prism 2, purchased at the beach "shell shop". We found a lot of coins with that thing together. We enjoyed it so much that about 5 years ago I bought a used MXT Pro. I thought that I already had a White's, so I'd stick with the brand. I wanted one that could be taken gold prospecting and the MXT Pro was the best all-in-one option I could find in my price range. I've been happy with it (did take it to Arizona to a GPAA claim; did NOT find any gold), and it's worked very well on the beach and in fields/woods/parks. I've learned it well enough that I'm pretty certain when I find a coin without even digging, and I can guess the depth within an inch.

This year my son and I agreed that we'd spend more time "treasure hunting" (metal detecting as well as gold dredging); I've realized I've only got another year or two with him before he heads off on his own, so I want to maximize that time. My son did say "but Dad, can we get a better metal detector?" He'd definitely outgrown the Prism 2, and he didn't like how heavy my MXT Pro was (more on that in a moment).
With all that in mind, I decided to invest in another detector. I've always read good things about Minelabs and consider that brand the best, due to reputation (I'd never used one before). I will also admit that Gary Draden ("Curse of Oak Island") using a Minelab influenced my decision also. I wasn't going to buy a 3030, but the Equinox 800 was in a price range I could handle, so I didn't really debate the options much. I ordered one in January.

Now that the weather has broken here on the East Coast my son and I have taken our detectors out in the field 3 times, and here's what I can tell you:
- the Equinox is so much lighter than the MXT Pro. If weight is a consideration for you, Coinucopia, then there is no debate. The Equinox is the absolute clear winner. The MXT Pro is very heavy (the standard concentric coil is surprisingly heavy and hard to swing for more than 1.5 or 2 hours. I have the smaller coil for the MXT Pro but tend to use the larger one).
- Both detectors will find and identify a coin if you're even generally familiar with their sounds and VDI's. However:
> the MXT Pro tends to show more erratic numbers, jumping around a lot, and it seems to vary quite a bit when you're swinging the initial swing vs. the cross swing.
> the Equinox numbers seem a bit more steady. This could be because of the smaller VDI range (-9 to 40) but I also think the circuitry is much newer and so it's more precise. The MultiIQ multifrequency tech might also be helping hear.
> the Equinox is "faster", meaning it's return is very very precise with what you're swinging over, while the MXT Pro feels more "sloppy" around the target.

Honestly, I don't think there's much of a decision to be made here. If I had to spend $800 again, it would absolutely be on the Equinox. I'm glad I have an MXT Pro as a backup, but once my son is off to college the Equinox will be my primary detector.

Good luck!
- Brian

XVpHZNX.jpg

kdshd247

Apr 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 800 is an amazing machine. I have had several Whites and loved them all but the Minelab 800 is hands down the best I’v ever owned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread