Need help regards buying a gold detector

crazymoon

Apr 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I am pretty new on the forum, I have 0 clue about gold detectors.
I was looking at the following detector on eBay, however I am not sure if it's any good. However I did contacted the seller and it said that they are shipping it from China.

Link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018V-AKS-...339157?hash=item2858baf495:g:fg8AAOSwiUpa4ELQ

(or maybe if the forum doesn't allow links here's the name)

"2018V AKS PLUG Finder metal detector professional gold detector scanner depth 20"

The specifications of the detector are the following:

Search System: super microcomputer control and reflective conductive processor
Range: Gold, Silver, Copper,Diamond
Search: 1000 meters
Depth: 20 meters
Energy: 12V 2000mAh
Power:0.5W
Transmission frequency :5600.00 - 6000.00Hz
Signal frequency :360.00 - 440.00Hz
Detection Type: gold, silver, copper, precious stones,etc.

My goal is the following:

I need a detector that will potentially look for a *bit deeper (in depth) for gold, we've already dug a huge hole of around 10meters. We did found 1 bar of gold, however I do think that there's more so I need something that potentially could look for like 1+ meter in the ground and it's not one of those detectors that look for coins or jewelry on 10cm in the ground.

I would like to advise me if the detector that I've mentioned above any good?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your money and buy a good gold metal detector.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That radar gun looking thing is laughable

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
10 meters ?? That's well over 30 ft. Deep !! What on Earth would you expect that deep? Why would anybody go to the trouble of burying something that deep ? An item is equally hidden as long as the surface is covered up. So what leads you to believe something is necessarily this deep?

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Avoid that thing like the plague. Theres plenty of good gold machines made by reputable companies, Minelab, Garrett, Whites, Fisher, ETC.........

OP
OP
C

crazymoon

Apr 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the helpful answers.

I did some researching last night and right now I feel like a complete idiot.

After seeing the prices on detectors that are actually looking for a couple of cm underneath and at something like this it's too good to be true.

Can someone recommend me a good detector that can actually look maybe like >1 meter?

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was at the exact same point some 3 years ago. I recommend to go to youtube and watch videos "metal detecting nuggets". You will find lots of videos. Stick with the newest ones and look what brand/model people used. If you are in an area with big nuggets deep you will need another machine than looking for smaller, shallow gold. The basic difference in machines is the technology behind the machine. VLF or PI. If the ground you want to use the machine is highly mineralized (throw a super magnet on the bottom and if a bunch of material sticks to it the ground is highly mineralized) you will be better of using a PI which is not the cheapest way to go but looking at some "cheap machines" will be VERY frustrating at the very end and will be wasted money and time. I experienced being in north California in 2017 that the ground was really hot. To battle that kind of ground I got me a Minelab SDC2300 and for all purpose detecting (small gold in milder ground, relics and coins) I got me a Minelab Equinox 800. Once I win the lottery I will add a GPX5000 for the bigger, deeper gold or a GPZ7000 (if you can afford this one go and get it). I would ask a knowledgeable dealer for his opinion. Tell him where you want to hunt and you will get a good idea which machine to purchase. The people I know and I know they will be a very good address to ask are Gerry's detectors or Rob's detectors. There are many good MD dealers out there but those two I know that they have found lots of gold themself and are both very fine people. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the helpful answers.

I did some researching last night and right now I feel like a complete idiot.

After seeing the prices on detectors that are actually looking for a couple of cm underneath and at something like this it's too good to be true.

Can someone recommend me a good detector that can actually look maybe like >1 meter?

Forget the question of "which detectors can detect to insane depths?".

What about my question in post # 4 ?

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is an insane amount of information out there on which detector is best for nugget shooting, and everyone seems to have an opinion. Some of those people are really good, some I question. My advice would be look around your area, the area you want to detect, then find others who are successful nugget shooters in that area and find out what they use. Don't be afraid to talk to them, I've found people to be very nice when I asked why they picked the model they did and most are very straight forward about what they like and don't like about their detectors. My final piece of advice, don't get hung up on having the deepest detecting detector out there, sometimes other factors need to be and should be taken into consideration over "how deep it'll detect".

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Is anyone else seeing the trend ? Someone comes on, makes perhaps 2 to 4 -ish posts. They need a detector that goes 6 meters (or 10 meters, etc...) deep. That's 20-ish to 30-ish ft ! Some of them are convinced they "know" where a treasure is . So it's merely a matter of pinpointing the exact spot. And other questions like over-coming govt. obstacles, where to sell 10 tons of gold , blah blah .

And then .... presto .... they disappear. And invariably these are from countries like the Philippines and Mexico. If you try to skirt their technical questions, and get-at-the-root of what their suspicions of treasure is based on, it's invariably ghost-story legends. Yet they're 100% convinced that a treasure exists, and they know where . D/t they bought a map on a street corner, or heard the story at a camp-fire, etc...... And ... sure enough, they're always at insane depths.

Anyone else noticed this trend ?

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is anyone else seeing the trend ? Someone comes on, makes perhaps 2 to 4 -ish posts. They need a detector that goes 6 meters (or 10 meters, etc...) deep. That's 20-ish to 30-ish ft ! Some of them are convinced they "know" where a treasure is . So it's merely a matter of pinpointing the exact spot. And other questions like over-coming govt. obstacles, where to sell 10 tons of gold , blah blah .

And then .... presto .... they disappear. And invariably these are from countries like the Philippines and Mexico. If you try to skirt their technical questions, and get-at-the-root of what their suspicions of treasure is based on, it's invariably ghost-story legends. Yet they're 100% convinced that a treasure exists, and they know where . D/t they bought a map on a street corner, or heard the story at a camp-fire, etc...... And ... sure enough, they're always at insane depths.

Anyone else noticed this trend ?

Yea, at least it gives them something to dream about. I remember decades ago getting gold fever and spending all day sluicing and panning for one little flake, Kinda the same today, Detecting all day for one wheatie. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions