vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard denn from another resident of the great state of PA! Take a look at Forum: Pennsylvania for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to the great state of PA.

metal_detector.gif
2nd - While waiting for member suggestions - you might browse Sub-Forums: Brands for additional information.

3rd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A metal detector to use only 2 or 3 times a year?

For what purpose and where?

All 4 of those are good general purpose coin shooter & relic machines the Bounty Tracker would be my last pick of the 4 and the Mojave would be the first.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tnet. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .:hello2:

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Majave would be my first pick.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're only going to use a few times a year I would spring for a VDI machine like the ace or f22. Only reason being is the one tone machines require some hours to become efficient with. Thats JMO though. All 4 listed will find goodies. The tracker iv has a very underated disc circuit but will not go as deep as the others.

OP
OP
D

denn

Apr 3, 2019
S. Central PA.
Detector(s) used
Magnet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
The reason I put the Bounty Tracker IV on the list is I figured it's the best under $100.
For my limited use I don't know if it's practical to buy one of the other 3, not that I can't afford the others.
Then is there much difference between Fisher F22 and Ace 300, I know the tesoro's don't have a display

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Bounter Hunter TK4 is a good starter machine. Good up to 6/7 inches deep. Inexpensive. Easy learning curve. Their not crap , they have been around for 15 or so years. Must be doing something right. I love mine.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
denn, it all depends on what you think you will be finding as if 'a target' is worth the effort of going out and looking for it then it May be better to purchase a machine better suited for What you are looking for as well as Where you will be searching at. Like where will you most likely be searching at: under power lines then you need a machine that will cancel out the the 60 cycle interference of power lines, lots of iron in the ground then you need a machine that has the electronics in the box that will 'discriminate' out the iron while still allowing you to detect for Gold/Platinum/Silver and the like. So here are a few things for you to consider to help you with choosing a machine that will actually do what you MAY need it to do.

Best of luck with your decision! Practice, practice, practice or you will not find Squart [but actually or also w/o practice you will only find Squat]!!!!! Ear phones are worth the expense as: they use much less power than the speaker built into the detector (aka - your batteries last longer,) in some cases you will want to listen for Whispers and you can not hear them without earphones.............63bkpkr

Last edited:

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would stay clear of Tesoro. You want to buy from a company on this side of the dirt.. they offer a lifetime warranty that has just expired.

OP
OP
D

denn

Apr 3, 2019
S. Central PA.
Detector(s) used
Magnet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I don't know where I'll be hunting or how often I got a new Bounter Hunter TK4.
After I use it awhile, then I might know what targets I'm looking for and what areas.
I figure if I got another metal detector, I would keep this one and let someone use it.
I was at a consignment auction Friday, a 6000D/I Coinmaster in a hard case went for $150, I didn't want to bid against the other guy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread