Can't get past all these jumpy signals on my new Minelab Equinox 800???

bigchz

Jun 9, 2014
Northern New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 previously, now I own a Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just bought a new Minelab Equinox 800. My first time out was definitely a challenge. I was hunting with a Minelab Xterra 705. I had a lot of jumpy signals, nothing that I am accustomed to hearing from the xterra. I'm sure it's a learning curve. I documented my first hunt on youtube, maybe someone proficient with the Equinox can give me some pointers. Here is my video link. Any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, What kind of site is this? Park? Farm field? Ball Field? Home site? How old an area? That might a difference on which mode I would use, and which settings to try. How much trash and iron signals? With old coins a possibility, It's hard to pass up any good solid hits at depth.....even the mid teens, which are likely trash. Solid 13's are where nickels like to be, but, those can also be tabs, foil, slaw, and gold. I don't pass on solid 13's anywhere I hunt. At trashy site, such as urban parks, I ignore everything up to copper cents except for the 13's, and only dig the upper numbers. They'll sometimes vary a number or two, but, I find gold and silver to be very stable and not bounce at all. Remember to recheck your hole before you fill it in. I saw in the one recovery where you had a mid to upper 30's I.D. and found a bottle cap. Not likely that it was making that signal all by itself. At least, I've never had a bottle cap read that high. Some screw tops are pretty close though. If this is a park or an area where it might be sensitive about evidence of digging, I'd leave the big digger at home and use a smaller hand digger. I'd also cut a 3 sided trap door instead of a full circle plug, and use a piece of plastic or towel to hold any removed dirt. Makes is much easier to get all the dirt back in the hole and a neater result. Lowering the sensitivity might help get rid of the extra false signals, chirps, and jumpy signals. Once you get used to them, it won't be much of an issue.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. What they said. Go slow. Use the factory presets. Try some place without a lot of iron to begin with, try a test garden. Odd about the bottle cap. Now an aluminum twist off one makes sense.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Single freq will give crown caps coin numbers. Switching to multi can weed most out. Screw caps are a digger,can’t avoid it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread