Little help for first time MD hunting
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Little help for first time MD hunting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2019
    Piscataway, NJ
    Fisher F-22
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Red face Little help for first time MD hunting

Hello all,

I live in Hudson County, New Jersey, and recently bought a Fisher Metal Detector for the first time.
    Have 0 experience in hunting and excited to make a new hobby.
    I wanted to go hunt on near state parks (cuz I have no idea where/how to contact good personal properties) and did some research on regulations and permits.
    But it's not really clear how it works (some say both Essex and Hudson County totally banned MD).

I'm trying to see if I can go hunt on James J. Braddock North Hudson County Park or Laurel Hill Park.

It will so very muchly be appreciated if anyone can give some guidance for a beginner so that I don't end up paying fines.

Thanks!

P.S. I am also down to go hunt near Rutgers University (Piscataway), have anyone ever hunted there?
    Also, please correct me if this is the wrong forum to wite this.
    vpnavy, devldog, 63bkpkr and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    14529 times
    I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard SunnyRo! Take a look at Forum: New Jersey for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state. You will have more success posting your request of MD'ng in that forum.
    A2coins and devldog like this.
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

.:: Rules and Guidelines ::.
    .:: NOTICE - You must be a Charter Member to sell on Treasure Net (Forum: Charter Member Classifieds) - NOTICE ::.
    "...not my circus, not my monkeys..."

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10065 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRo View Post
    .....But it's not really clear how it works (some say both Essex and Hudson County totally banned MD).....
    I have no doubt that ..... if you did enough key-word-searches ....... you'd find "someone who says it's banned" on just about ANY speck of public land ... ANYWHERE. Why ? Because no doubt, someone way-back-when, went swatting hornet's nests waiting for pats-on-the-back express allowances/permissions. And found some bored pencil pusher to tell them "no".

You will not find express allowances for sites. Eg.: signs or laws that say "md'ing allowed here" type thing. Thus don't be looking for "allowances" or "yes's". Instead, be looking for actual laws/rules that truly said "no md'ing". Otherwise, if it's silent on the subject, then presto: It's not disallowed.

As for someone who fetched a "no" at some old post decades ago: Be sure to differentiate "commentary" from actual law. Ie.: there could be someone who told someone else "no" (or someone who fetched a "scram") that does not constitute gospel law. Sometimes that's just a single individual having a bad hair day, blah blah.

And, for example, you give county names and seem-to-have-found some past post that says "banned". But don't confuse something like "county parks" with other forms-of-land within that county. Ie.: whatever you may have found , may only apply to COUNTY owned land (eg.: county parks) within that county. And have no bearing on other forms of land within the county (eg.: city, state, fed, private, and even other-forms of county-land). Ie.: it's not "border-to-border within the physical county, that what-you-are reading refers to).

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7687 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Welcome to Tnet! If you can't research and find out the rules yourself, you may want to join a local detecting club to get the word on where you can detect in your area. They might also be able to give you tips on how to make a proper recovery without undue damage to turfed areas. Good Luck and have fun!
    A2coins, devldog, 63bkpkr and 1 others like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    10065 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    .... you may want to join a local detecting club to get the word on where you can detect in your area.....

Couple of things:

1) brick & mortar clubs have pretty much gone by the way-side (R.I.P.) d/t the socializing substitute of the internet

2) Even then (or now) if/when you arrive at a club meeting, and ask this question, you will get the same self-fulfilling psychological vicious circle answers: Someone is sure to have taken the "pressing question" to a ranger kiosk or phone calls, and .......... presto: Someone has given it the "safe answer" (when in fact, no on really cared or gave it a moment's thought prior to that).
    A2coins, devldog and SunnyRo like this.

us
    Apr 2014
    NJ
    Whites Spectra V3i, Whites MX5, Whites BH 300, Whites MX Sport, Tek Europro, Tesoro Compadre, Makro Multi Kruzer .......... No longer own....... Etrac, CTX3030, G2, Fisher F4 Tesoro Bandido
    287 times
    NJ is weird. There are different classifications when it comes to state owned property. Some state parks do allow detecting - but you have to get a permit (free). Other state owned property is off limits (WMA areas, etc..).

For example: Parvin's Park (state park) allows metal detecting in specified areas only (most of the park is off limits) and you have to get a free permit.

I would urge you to look up the laws yourself. WMA regulations state something along the lines of - no cutting, digging, etc.. but doesn't (or didn't when I last checked) mention metal detecting by name. Still, metal detecting isn't allowed and you can be arrested if caught metal detecting in a WMA area.

With the long history in Hudson county, I'd concentrate my efforts on private property. I'd also look into city/county parks (see what their laws say about metal detecting). If legal I'd be all over street/sidewalk tear-outs. It will take a bit of work (on your part) to find the applicable statutes, but I believe most NJ municipalities/counties will have that information online.

Good luck.
    A2coins, devldog, SunnyRo and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    32097 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Most parks you can get permits at least in MI
    devldog likes this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    32097 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Welcome to tnet Tommy
    devldog and SunnyRo like this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    10065 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahts-a-dats-ago View Post
    .... something along the lines of - no cutting, digging, etc.. but doesn't (or didn't when I last checked) mention metal detecting by name. Still, metal detecting isn't allowed and you can be arrested if caught metal detecting in a WMA area....
    I'm not understanding this quote. On the one hand, you say that the rules are silent on the subject of md'ing. Right ? Ie.: metal detecting, per-se, is not mentioned. Right ? But then on the other hand, you go on to say that "metal detecting isn't allowed".

Ok, so which is it ?

Or are you referring to the boiler-plate verbiage about "alter, deface, dig, cut", etc... ? If those catch-all things automatically mean: No md'ing, then I got news for you: That type language exists in EVERY SINGLE PARK (and beach, and forest, and desert, etc...) in the entire USA. But as you can see, there is no shortage of people md'ing in parks, beaches, forests, etc.... Right ? And (gasp) every single one of them "cuts" or "alters" in the act of retrieving targets. Right ?

All such language applies to the END RESULT. So if you leave no trace, then presto: You have not alterED or defacED or cut anything, right ? And I doubt you can cite a single "arrest" for someone who was md'ing, via the "cutting" and "digging" language. If you can cite ANY "arrest" for md'ing, it will be for someone who was being obnoxious, couldn't take a warning, or was night-sneaking obvious historic sensitive monuments.

As for those particular places that you cite that either A) have a "permit" or B) "don't allow" it, I'll bet I know exactly how those things originated. And no ..... it wasn't because of holes.
    DiamondDan, SunnyRo and ArfieBoy like this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    10065 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    Most parks you can get permits at least in MI
    Aaaahhh, the sound of the word "permits", just rolls off the tongue. Right ? It conjurs up images of being able to detect nilly-willy, and whip it out if anyone gripes. Right ? And the mere mention of the word "permits" conjurs up images in skittish-person's minds, that they should inquire at every kiosk and city-hall desk they come to. Right ? To see if there is a "permit" offered. And/or send FAQ's to administering agency's "just to be sure", right ? After all, a "permit" is very nifty to have, right ? After all, you "can't be too safe", and it "doesn't hurt to ask", right ?

And then .... sure .... pretty soon someone's going to pass out a "no" to the pressing FAQ, and/or invent "permits". Meantime, all the old-timers are left scratching their heads saying "since when ?"

And it's the mere mention, on posts like this, that starts all the people scrambling. Which ends up becoming a self-fulfilling phenomenon. And then we all sit around lamenting our lack of freedoms in this hobby. When in fact we simply brought it on ourselves, by swatting hornet's nests all the time
    SunnyRo and ArfieBoy like this.

us
    Apr 2019
    Piscataway, NJ
    Fisher F-22
    4 times
    Wow thanks for all the tips.

I actually talked to Administrative Clerk of Office of Parks & Recreation on Middlesex County and below is what he said.
    Pretty much look up for each county and parks, get the permit if required, and use common sense.

You are responsible for restoring any area you may disturb back to its original condition.
    Anything you find is the property of Middlesex County. You can record, catalog, or photograph your findings, but the objects themselves should be turned in to the Parks Administration Office.
    In addition, metal detectors are prohibited from the following areas:
    All Athletic Fields
    All Playgrounds
    Picnic Groves when occupied by any group
    Any cemetery or grave sites
    All posted historic sites including, but not limited to East Jersey Old Town, Cornelius Low House and the Van Dyke Farm.
    Johnson Park (area between River Road and Landing Lane.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    10065 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRo View Post
    ....I actually talked to Administrative Clerk of Office of Parks & Recreation on Middlesex County and below is what he said.
    sunny-Ro: I just looked up the Middlesex county park & rec. rules and regulations and potential permits :

http://www.middlesexcountynj.gov/Gov...ge%20order.pdf

Permits and Passes

As you can see: You can search far and wide, high and low, and find nothing there about metal detecting. Nor anything about any permits for metal detecting. So me thinks:

a) You have just become the latest victim of "No one cared till you asked" psychology routine.

b) What he told you (unless it can be accompanied by actual chapter and verse rule) is only "commentary". Not "rules".

c) I love how he says that anything you find .... technically belong to their parks admin. Hmmm, well gee .... So too could the same probably be said of ANY park (or forest, or beach, or desert, etc...) in the entire USA : If you walk in and say "Hi, can I take park features home for my own profit and enjoyment?". Well .... sure.... they'll say that falls afoul of verbiage about "take", and "remove" and "harvest" and "steal". Right ? But seriously now dude, did anyone really care ? Odds are, the fellow who answered your "pressing question" would never have given it a moment's thought.

So if it's technically true, for all public land, of any entity, everywhere, then you tell me: Do you think all the folks on the "today's find" section are rushing to hand in their coins, to whatever administering agency's land they were/are at ?

So the thing that happens next, in situations like this, is: Guess what that same administrator is going to think @ the next time he passes by the park and see another md'r ? He'll remember this earlier inquiry and think "Aha! there's one of *them*". And start booting others.

Next time: Stop swatting hornet's nests and look up rules for yourself. If you see nothing there about metal detectors (Ie.: silent on the subject), then presto: Not dis-allowed.
    SunnyRo and ArfieBoy like this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7687 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Couple of things:

1) brick & mortar clubs have pretty much gone by the way-side (R.I.P.) d/t the socializing substitute of the internet

2) Even then (or now) if/when you arrive at a club meeting, and ask this question, you will get the same self-fulfilling psychological vicious circle answers: Someone is sure to have taken the "pressing question" to a ranger kiosk or phone calls, and .......... presto: Someone has given it the "safe answer" (when in fact, no on really cared or gave it a moment's thought prior to that).
    That why I prefaced my answer with "If you can't research and find out the rules yourself". Better to ask fellow detectorists than bureaucrats. You might even get a good discussion going among them to clear up misinformation and rumor.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    The surest representation of a man's character is his work ethic.

Apr 2016
    Robbinsdale, MN
    White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
    949 times
    Metal Detecting
    Just go detecting. Simple as that. When it comes to public property, I operate under one philosophy: "It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission." I have not been bothered or questioned about detecting ANYWHERE by ANYONE. As a tax-paying citizen, go use the public facilities for your own forms of enjoyment. Just make sure you practice cutting and replacing plugs a bit first so you don't GIVE the nanny state a reason to care.
    Last edited by DiamondDan; Apr 13, 2019 at 05:02 PM.

us
    Deep1

Dec 2018
    Carolina Lowcountry
    Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
    631 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    sunny-Ro: I just looked up the Middlesex county park & rec. rules and regulations and potential permits :

http://www.middlesexcountynj.gov/Gov...ge%20order.pdf

Permits and Passes

As you can see: You can search far and wide, high and low, and find nothing there about metal detecting. Nor anything about any permits for metal detecting. So me thinks:

a) You have just become the latest victim of "No one cared till you asked" psychology routine.

b) What he told you (unless it can be accompanied by actual chapter and verse rule) is only "commentary". Not "rules".

c) I love how he says that anything you find .... technically belong to their parks admin. Hmmm, well gee .... So too could the same probably be said of ANY park (or forest, or beach, or desert, etc...) in the entire USA : If you walk in and say "Hi, can I take park features home for my own profit and enjoyment?". Well .... sure.... they'll say that falls afoul of verbiage about "take", and "remove" and "harvest" and "steal". Right ? But seriously now dude, did anyone really care ? Odds are, the fellow who answered your "pressing question" would never have given it a moment's thought.

So if it's technically true, for all public land, of any entity, everywhere, then you tell me: Do you think all the folks on the "today's find" section are rushing to hand in their coins, to whatever administering agency's land they were/are at ?

So the thing that happens next, in situations like this, is: Guess what that same administrator is going to think @ the next time he passes by the park and see another md'r ? He'll remember this earlier inquiry and think "Aha! there's one of *them*". And start booting others.

Next time: Stop swatting hornet's nests and look up rules for yourself. If you see nothing there about metal detectors (Ie.: silent on the subject), then presto: Not dis-allowed.
    Tom,
    Well said.
    That was direct and to the the point. OP, don't take his post personally or mine, he was directing this to everybody that picks up the phone and "swats a hornets nest"(I love that) While I don't always agree with your views Tom, I'm 100% in agreement with your post.
    The best quote of all from OP:
    "Anything you find is the property of Middlesex County. You can record, catalog, or photograph your findings, but the objects themselves should be turned in to the Parks Administration Office."
    I guess you turn it into the "official" you talked to on the phone.
    Wonder who he sells it to?

On the local level, phone calls to "officials" will result in some sort of no or restriction, as you encountered.
    99% of the time, the "official" has no idea what the laws are. You're going to get an opinion.
    There are few towns that have express laws prohibiting detecting on town owned land.
    Do your own research of the town laws.
    Most towns post their code of laws on their town website.
    If not, go to city hall and ask to see their town code of laws. You do not have to tell them why you want to see them, it's your right.
    Every local,state and federal law is accessible to everybody. It is up to you to do your research.
    If not, hire a lawyer to give his written opinion including specific codes pertaining to the metal detecting laws for your town, just be sure to tell him not to call town hall for the answer.
    You swat hornets, you get stung.
    Respectfully, Deep1
    Tom_in_CA, ArfieBoy and SunnyRo like this.
    If it's old, I'll dig it, dive on it, detect it or sometimes when I get lucky just bend over and pick it up.

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result" Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links