Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ohhh, the wife was shopping and I had a few hrs to enjoy. Grabbed the CTX and headed out to the small local beach. When I got there I immediately hit the path and the battery shut down, out-of-fuel! My CTX battery charger had died a few days before (dropped brackish water into it and never same again) and I had about 11 hrs on the battery when it went dead. Luckily, I had my spare alkaline battery pack and a few minutes later I was back in business.

I know the place gets hammered, so I concentrated on the more out-of-the-way spots, small paths and more isolated shoreline. Boy did I have fun. I usually hunt in surf and recently the targets have been few and far between – those days when you touch the coil to your water scoop to make sure the darn thing is on, and it always is; except when it was off once! Any ways, I dug 26 coins/hr for 2 hrs! This doesn’t include the equal number (or more) of junk, mostly foil, pull/push tabs and juice tops. Boy was I busy.

Finds041319.jpg

On top of that, I met a father and son detecting (w Bounty Hunter); one of their fist times out. I gave them some pointers about the beach, that they needed a sand scoop (can w holes is fine) and where coins are likely to be found (as stated above). Then I told the boy “fill all your holes, keep away from people and save and dispose of all trash you come across.” With that, I decided not to hunt their corner of the beach with my carpet sweeper (CTX w 17” coil) and hoped them the best.

My best find of the day was a 3” spider man toy with movable parts; I’m going to use him to highlight my future ring finds…if I even find one again…back to the ocean.

Spider Man Ring holder 041319.jpg

Happy Hunting

Gold rings - 6
Gold teeth - 1
Silver (.925) items - 25
Coins - 2504

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two things, it is fun to think outside of the box for possible new places to detect and it is good for the soul to help a Father & Son on their first outing at a pounded location! Good On Ya and glad you had fun, carpet sweeper LOL............63bkpkr

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fun finds.
Very nice of you to share your knowledge.
Hopefully, they made some fun finds and had a good time together with your help.
I don't know how to do them picture thingys so:
THUMBS UP

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a very nice thing to do by helping that father and son. Tips, technique and an awesome memory of their time together will last a lifetime.
Great finds especially the Spider-Man! Thanks for the photos!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Those fun days detecting at the beach are the best. Looking forward to a few myself and wishing you many more.

Beep'n

Greenie
Apr 15, 2019
MN
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 5
XP Deus
Technetics T2+
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt for only a couple hours..Nice addition to your 2019 totals. Nice of you to share some tips and talk about covering holes and disposal of trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread