Grumble

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no longer a new detectorist and I know more about what happens when you're out detecting and what you find and the hoops you jump through to keep the hobby fun. I would really wish that YouTubers who make their detecting videos... who fill them with hit after hit after hit of coins, rings and nothing but treasure do a bit of truth in advertising.

Detecting just ain't like that... not at all. You might have a run... a day or two of finding some good finds but for the most part you're finding spare clad, pop cans and pull tabs with the occasional foil and iron bits. (your finds will vary depending on where you are) Please oh please video makers... do like some of the better 'tubers do and show your days take... show the mountain of crap that you dug to find your handfull of pretty shiny things. I have a few friends who are frustrated beyond belief because they got into the hobby with the hope of going out and finding... something... not garbage and not necessarily treasure but something fun... and they don't get why it doesn't work that way. I've had them out with me and they consider me the anomaly... the fact that my big find is a dinky toy makes them scoff and say it's cause I'm still new or that my machine is garbage or that I just don't know how to do it right. They don't get a few things... if there isn't anything to find... you're not going to find it, if you're in a high traffic, high detected area... you're not likely to find gold bullion. And if the machine you buy is high end with enough bells and whistles to find the fillings in your teeth... then don't blame me when it stumps you as to how to use it as a new user. Not my fault... I watched videos on how to and spent a good hand full of hours getting used to the bleeps, bloops and whee's that my machine makes and what they most likely mean. Didn't just step in and find the motherload... not even sure what the motherload actually looks like... but all this... all my blather... just boils down to... please those of you who are going to be guiding the newbs... make sure it's a ring of truth that you put into your videos... not just the gold rings.

thanks.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
When my hunt partner & I make videos, we MAKE SURE not to make it like a "bass fishing" show. Where every cast is a lunker. We include footage of junk (camp lead), shotgun butts, lantern parts, rivets, etc.... In addition to the coin-recovery/reveal footage.

Also we try to capture audio of both the signals we chase, vs those we'd pass. Otherwise, a "beep" of a good target, has no rhyme-or-reason vs targets we've elected to pass. And try to include an analysis of what we think it likely is, ahead of time. This is especially true for an environment where cherry-picking is going on (junky turf, when trying to isolate old coins vs shallow clad and foil). The interpretation of a fluty orchestra machine , showing what you'd "chase" vs "pass", makes those videos very fun.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider a lot of the youtube videos as creative lying 101.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What gets me are the ones with titles like "Epic Hunt, Silver Coins Galore". You start viewing, and learn that the video is comprised of numerous different permissions spanning multiple bunches of days. Then they're all edited just to show the good finds only. You can bet they dug some trash! Youtube has become kind of a joke in this regard, with people doing just about anything to get the views and likes. I've become very selective about the individuals that I watch now, and even then take most things with a grain of salt. Just my two cents, FWIW.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been on this bandwagon before; us all biasing viewers every time we post a great find but never post the average day where, for me as an example, can spend 5 hrs in the surf battling 2 footers all day and come away with 2 coins/hr and half of those are cents! Not to mention $15.00 to park and about $9.00 in gas to get there.

However, these MD Utube videos, where you find great things every time you're out, may be one reason there has been an uptick in Newbies hitting the beach with either a Bounty Hunter or NOX 800. Some I meet are really astonished that that hadn't found more as they meandering about; going nowhere fast.

"Dang, I've been at this for 2 hrs and haven't even found one gold ring...something must be wrong with the detector!"

I try not to bother them... and I hope to get a good deal on a slightly used NOX 800 for my next hunting season.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Videos. Usually don't watch the self-promoting, ego-inflated, lying productions. Especially those with huge gaudy colorful title, some guy with the wide open mouth, crazy eyes, or flapping his arms around. I do watch some. I'm sure not everyone is lying. Surely not Tom.

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why? Because some get kickback from big brands or shops and just to get veiws. I don't mind watching edited videos. Better than watching 30 mins of trash digging. Even though they show all of these killer finds, they are still doing the work getting permissions, looking up sites, digging trash. I like most of them.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well written post, thanks!
I want to see the TID numbers for each target while still in the hole, not just what comes out at the end.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me wrong. I do watch some, but, with a hefty does of not believing this stuff attitude, I see it as just entertainment. Make believe for the most part. I tried a video once, and figured I could dig or video, not both at the same time.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to stay away from the click bait videos and look for ones that have some educational value, there are some out there but tough to find.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Videos. Usually don't watch the self-promoting, ego-inflated, lying productions. Especially those with huge gaudy colorful title, some guy with the wide open mouth, crazy eyes, or flapping his arms around. I do watch some. I'm sure not everyone is lying. Surely not Tom.

There are several of those 'tubers who are members here. Drives me nuts.

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Aquachigger guy. He's fairly honest about all the junk and still seems to be having a good time.

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When my hunt partner & I make videos, we MAKE SURE not to make it like a "bass fishing" show. Where every cast is a lunker. We include footage of junk (camp lead), shotgun butts, lantern parts, rivets, etc.... In addition to the coin-recovery/reveal footage.

Also we try to capture audio of both the signals we chase, vs those we'd pass. Otherwise, a "beep" of a good target, has no rhyme-or-reason vs targets we've elected to pass. And try to include an analysis of what we think it likely is, ahead of time. This is especially true for an environment where cherry-picking is going on (junky turf, when trying to isolate old coins vs shallow clad and foil). The interpretation of a fluty orchestra machine , showing what you'd "chase" vs "pass", makes those videos very fun.
I like your video, even if they have catchy titles and digging silver coins. But please don't talk bad about shotgun butts like they are trash. All shotgun butts matter hahaha. I guess in am bias though because I live in California, you guys keep making your videos!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... All shotgun butts matter hahaha....

Really ? Ok, I got a bunch I'll sell ya ! $10 each ... cheap ! :laughing7:

My hunt partner and I got back from a recent ghost-townsy trip, but only did "still picture" shots of the show & tell. Not a video this time. I put those pix @ FMDF, d/t nothing too spectacular. The only coin on this trek (of note) was an 1860 S dime that my buddy got. But it was hosed, so we didn't do a video. All the footage would have been henry shells, rivots, suspender clip, etc... Good filler material (and great vantage points from my Go-pro that I'm still perfecting @ mounted on a visor). But since we didn't get any live footage of any crisp older coins, we elected for just some still photo's this time.

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haha, me too, I find it hard to make a video of just 1 good find. I might do one of my live dig Santa Clara token and stills of other stuff. Unfortunately I didn't get a live dig of my 1900 barber there cause I had no room on my cell phone was too full

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread