At Max or Equinox 600?

reaper8496

Apr 19, 2015
Somewhere in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I just want to make a good decision on a new detector. I have an at pro (for about 3 years) that I still have trust issues with since whenever I dig those "faint" signals without VDI readouts I always end up with absolutely nothing in the hole and I dig the same hole for 10-15 min wasting precious detecting time. It's either that or I get signals that tell me that they are somewhat deep, and they are much shallower. I've sent my at pro into Garrett for service and I am still not getting amazing depth like everyone says that they get with the pro on coins. So, I am thinking of either the AT Max or the Equinox.

Upvote 0

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Based on my research (I have neither detector, but am considering both as my next one), the answer to your question is the Equinox 600. However, the Max will come with wireless headphones ready to go while you'll need to get the Equinox 800 for that feature out of the box.

Keep in mind that the Max is basically a slight "bump" on existing technology while the Equinox is pretty much a "next generation" type of detector.

Of course, there are other factors to consider, like batteries, your familiarity with Garrett products and ergonomics.

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience, the Equinox will out-detect anything from the AT series. Keep in mind, though, that the user plays a large part in all this as well. But yes, the Equinox is the better machine. It is also a gold magnet. Scanning in multiple frequencies at once enables the machine to hit high conductors as well as low conductors equally and with impressive depth to boot.

Whichever machine you settle on, I hope it suits you and your detecting style. Happy hunting, friend.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do any salt water beach hunting, no contest, get the Nox.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn’t like the max as much as my nox 600...

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I were going to purchase a coin/general purpose VLF I would get the NOX over the AT. The AT is a good detector but as stated above the NOX is the newest technology and so many great reviews on it tell me it is worth it. I would also consider saving up a little more and get the 800 rather than the 600. The resale on it down the road would be better in my opinion.

Eagleman

Jun 8, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD-2, White's TDI-SL, My design of, PI detector, also BFO type detector, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both detectors are very good but, as I learned that a detector with sealed batteries, can't be replaced in the field can to lead to problem. My problem I sent a detector back to the company factory repair, it took forever to get it repaired and back in the field. Good luck on your decision.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox is the one with the sealed batteries, not sure about the Max but I don't it applies there, however, it should be all right since it's under warranty. I THINK the warranty is 5 years, someone correct if incorrect, at which time throw it away and get another machine of your choice. So the sealed batteries thing is not a big issue.

Like I always say, try to test drive one of each before you buy one if you can.

OP
OP
reaper8496

reaper8496

Apr 19, 2015
Somewhere in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. All of you guys made my decision all that much easier. I would like to do some saltwater/freshwater beach detecting sometime, but I never got around to try my AT Pro on a beach yet. I think the Equinox just has that much more features over the Max that it should be a pretty easy decision on my part, but its gonna take a large learning curve for me to get the hang of it. Thankfully I am now in contact with a good dealer and user of the E-trac that can show me the ropes on minelab machines.

Yooper Rich

Mar 21, 2019
Nisula, MI
Detector(s) used
Heath , Bounty Hunter, White, Garrett GTX, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen a couple of vids on battery replacement on the nox and not that difficult. I believe it took less than 5 min.

Digger Dude

Mar 13, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will be much happier with the Equinox. Don't make the same mistake I did. I purchased the Max and used it for a couple of weeks and did not like it and sold it for half the price I paid (Order from someone with a 30 day money back guarantee). I now have have the Equinox 800 and love it. I have several finds from property that I missed with the Max and other detectors over the years. HH

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will be much happier with the Equinox. Don't make the same mistake I did. I purchased the Max and used it for a couple of weeks and did not like it and sold it for half the price I paid (Order from someone with a 30 day money back guarantee). I now have have the Equinox 800 and love it. I have several finds from property that I missed with the Max and other detectors over the years. HH

That's a recurring theme I've read online about the Equinox series of metal detectors, i.e. users have taken it to heavily pounded sites and found nice targets, like silver coins. Honestly, that's the biggest testament (in my opinion) to the Equinox's ability.

OP
OP
reaper8496

reaper8496

Apr 19, 2015
Somewhere in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like Minelab is giving Garrett a run for their money. Alright, I'll give Minelab a try. I am just hoping that I don't get frustrated and confused with it since the controls are a complete 180 from Garrett.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get EITHER machine, use a factory preset for the first few weeks, and try a test garden, even on a beach. Do not attempt to tweak it for a bit. Let the machine do the work. Getting new machines is fun!

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the Equinox is a beast right out of the box with factory settings. That's why I dont hesitate to recommend it to new users. And it's a machine they won't soon outgrow.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
*update* I now have the equinox 600 and I love it. I am constantly finding something new on those old permissions. I will be posting more often with the results of the new machine. Thanks everyone!!!

Good to hear it worked out for you.

23Scooter

Greenie
Mar 23, 2021
Westmoreland County, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, CTX 3030, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went from the AT Max to a Nox 600 recently. Have only had the Nox out twice,but have dug a nickle both times vs all the times with the AT Max and never dug one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread