Weird coin spill

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out in one of our local municipal parks today and came upon such a weird coin spill. I was in moist, moist rich dark soil... great for growing stuff but not so much for seeing things buried in the earth. I sounded out a coin... pretty sure it was a dime and not that deep... maybe 3 inches or so. I dug down shallow and couldn't see a blessed thing... the dirt was so wet and sticky that all I had was a big dirt smush. So I used my pinpointer to find the general spot then found the dime. Was happy... waved my detector over the spot again just to be sure and had another beep... but this time it was sorta thick foil sound... but the hole was already there so I poked back into the lovely big wet lump and found a twoonie... then a dime... then a quarter... then 3 dimes... all almost on top of each other... but it sort seemed like each coin was masking the next one... came out in the end with $7 bucks worth of change... nothing special but my coin jar was much happier.

Ok... so the question is... do coins settle like that normally or was this just a weird happenstance... you know... everything pretty much covering up what was below it. I've run into spills before but they're always side by side or a short (1/2 inch) distance from each other. I've never had this big clump.

Anyways... great day... coins, a few hours of fresh air and a much healthier feeling after the fact.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
fun pocket spill story. The way you described them as "stacked", I was going to get a coin roll (in those paper sleeves) where the paper has since disintegrated. But then it became multiple denomination and types coins, that blew that theory . Sounds like just a super tightly packed pocket spill.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could have been coins in a small paper bag. Bag gets dropped or sat down, bag disintegrates from the elements and coins settle over time. Even a small cloth pouch would have the same effect.

f3user

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2012
North MS
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, XLT, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Ammoman’s idea. Never come across a coin spill like that either. Were you using a brass probe to poke around in that clumpy mess?

OP
OP
M

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my fingers... I cut and drew out the plug as best I could... it was kinda mushy... I couldn't really see anything specific so I used the pin pointer and it gave me a coin... imagine sticking your fingers into a big pudding... it's sticky and kinda slimy and there are no noticeable shapes... just a wet patch of earth in mud form.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins of different metallic composition will give off strange reading or block the signal from the coin below. Try a nickel on top of a silver dime or quarter.
Congratulations on your spill.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found huge spills before its cool just wish they were silver more often

Last edited: