Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By CoinHunterAZ
  • 1 Post By TheGreenBoy
  • 3 Post By IowaRelic
  • 1 Post By Professor of Engineering
  • 1 Post By IowaRelic
  • 1 Post By nagant

Thread: Advice on thinning out sites.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    History hunter

Jul 2018
    Iowa
    Teknetics T2 SE Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Compadre
    424 times
    Relic Hunting

Advice on thinning out sites.

I have 2 1830s home sites that were plowed under around 1910s. In 2 years I have hunted them down to where itís getting more difficult to find non ferrous targets. Most finds occur surface to 4Ē as the iron is so intense you just canít get much below that level. Iím looking for any tips to getting through that iron layer to where original items were dropped. It seems most of my coins and buttons and such likely were in the house when taken down. So the original yard drops are likely below the iron strata and the plow line. Obvious techniques like bigger coils donít work. I could dig pits and sift. Only 1 site would allow for it. Any ideas?

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
    691 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Get a Bobcat and remove a surface layer if the site would allow, and if the finds are thought to be worthwhile.
    IowaRelic likes this.

Feb 2017
    480 times
    If it is REALLY worth it & you want to continue on the side for years dig out and remove the iron.

Otherwise "criss crossing" may help a bit: first for example detect in north-south direction, then east-west. Masking is often happening only in one direction.

Greets Namxat

P.S: Did you ever think about a DEUS? Without being associated to the comapny its I think its the best machine for trashy sites

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH
    64 times
    This is a difficult one. Good discrimination and small coil on the machine optimized for one might help. Useful depth for small items will be 1 to 2 coil diameters, the smaller coil will give better selectivity and separation.
    IowaRelic likes this.

us
    History hunter

Jul 2018
    Iowa
    424 times
    Relic Hunting
    I’m going to keep this updated. Tomorrow I’m going back to the site on my property. We plowed it 10” deep yesterday evening. Hopefully this will refresh the home site. The stones were turning up from deep which is a good sign. Maybe original dropped items will now be found.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    23156 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Good Luck at the site!
    IowaRelic likes this.

us
    Jul 2017
    Northwest PA
    Teknetics T2 Classic 15x12" Detech Sef Butterfly coil Makro/Nokta pinpointers
    96 times
    Metal Detecting
    If using your T2 set it up with disc at 21 in 2+ tones that will take out most of the iron, the 5" coil also helps.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3693 times
    Metal Detecting
    Will be like a whole new site. Enjoy!

us
    dirt sniffer

Apr 2017
    iowa
    Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
    337 times
    i hunted out a small beach so i brought a rake and shovel. Did 10 x 10 ft sections a shovel deep , did a couple at a time. Love to go back but property changed hands. Would be a lot more work in the dirt unless you can go hydraulic. If not i shovel for coil time Good luck!!

us
    History hunter

Jul 2018
    Iowa
    424 times
    Relic Hunting
    Well I went back to the few acres we ripped up. Long story short, it will need disced to knock it all down. It’s so rough and tore up, it was a tough few hours of staying balanced and just trying to get a good swing between clods. I came out with a dropped pistol ball, the back of a 2 piece button and a small cuff flat button. I had high hopes and got let down a bit. It’s no biggie, we will disc it soon and I will try again. Way to uneven ground right now.
    Nitric likes this.

us
    dirt sniffer

Apr 2017
    iowa
    Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
    337 times
    Good signs at least, maybe this rain will help knock it down. I tried crop fields a couple times and felt overwhelmed by the size and corn stalk debris that kept me from covering the ground thoroughly.
    IowaRelic likes this.

us
    History hunter

Jul 2018
    Iowa
    424 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by nagant View Post
    Good signs at least, maybe this rain will help knock it down. I tried crop fields a couple times and felt overwhelmed by the size and corn stalk debris that kept me from covering the ground thoroughly.
    Yep we got a good soaker. Glad to see another Iowan on here!!!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links