Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have 2 1830s home sites that were plowed under around 1910s. In 2 years I have hunted them down to where it’s getting more difficult to find non ferrous targets. Most finds occur surface to 4” as the iron is so intense you just can’t get much below that level. I’m looking for any tips to getting through that iron layer to where original items were dropped. It seems most of my coins and buttons and such likely were in the house when taken down. So the original yard drops are likely below the iron strata and the plow line. Obvious techniques like bigger coils don’t work. I could dig pits and sift. Only 1 site would allow for it. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a Bobcat and remove a surface layer if the site would allow, and if the finds are thought to be worthwhile.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is REALLY worth it & you want to continue on the side for years dig out and remove the iron.

Otherwise "criss crossing" may help a bit: first for example detect in north-south direction, then east-west. Masking is often happening only in one direction.

Greets Namxat

P.S: Did you ever think about a DEUS? Without being associated to the comapny its I think its the best machine for trashy sites

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a difficult one. Good discrimination and small coil on the machine optimized for one might help. Useful depth for small items will be 1 to 2 coil diameters, the smaller coil will give better selectivity and separation.

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m going to keep this updated. Tomorrow I’m going back to the site on my property. We plowed it 10” deep yesterday evening. Hopefully this will refresh the home site. The stones were turning up from deep which is a good sign. Maybe original dropped items will now be found.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck at the site! :icon_thumleft:

nwpa

Jul 6, 2017
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
T2 classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If using your T2 set it up with disc at 21 in 2+ tones that will take out most of the iron, the 5" coil also helps.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hunted out a small beach so i brought a rake and shovel. Did 10 x 10 ft sections a shovel deep , did a couple at a time. Love to go back but property changed hands. Would be a lot more work in the dirt unless you can go hydraulic:thumbsup:. If not i shovel for coil time:wink: Good luck!!

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I went back to the few acres we ripped up. Long story short, it will need disced to knock it all down. It’s so rough and tore up, it was a tough few hours of staying balanced and just trying to get a good swing between clods. I came out with a dropped pistol ball, the back of a 2 piece button and a small cuff flat button. I had high hopes and got let down a bit. It’s no biggie, we will disc it soon and I will try again. Way to uneven ground right now.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good signs at least, maybe this rain will help knock it down. I tried crop fields a couple times and felt overwhelmed by the size and corn stalk debris that kept me from covering the ground thoroughly.

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good signs at least, maybe this rain will help knock it down. I tried crop fields a couple times and felt overwhelmed by the size and corn stalk debris that kept me from covering the ground thoroughly.

Yep we got a good soaker. Glad to see another Iowan on here!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread