HOW WOULD YOU PLAN THIS HUNT

BigRay

Apr 21, 2019
Northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my very first metal detecting an private land. The place is a old farm house that is about 125 years old. Nobody has lived in it from about 1975. House is ready to fall down.

Second one is right across the road that a house was built on in 1979. Behind that 40 acres to the rear of that house was a house built about 125 years ago but house is gone. Only a well is still there.

What would be the best way to go about detecting on these ? Start close by the house or work your way towards the houses from a distance? Any thoughts or ideas would be help full. Or what to look for as a clue where to start. Im kind of new at this an need all the help an ideas i can get.

Upvote 0

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you know where they used to have clothes lines, you could start where those were/are located. Also, really big and old trees are a good potential spot. Basically, I'd start in areas that saw a lot of traffic, like the front porch steps, barn entrance, etc. This is assuming you want to find coins. If you wanted to find relics, there might be other locations to start looking, like inside the barn.

OP
OP
B

BigRay

Apr 21, 2019
Northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This used to be one big farm at one time. Then the county put a road in between the propertys. I detect what ever i can find. Coins seem to be my findings but i have only been hitting play grounds an a few local parks. I use a garrett Ace 400 an have been getting better useing it. Found a old necklace an a few religious medallions. This will be my first big test detecting on virgin grounds. Thank you for the reply ����

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Safety first. Glass, nails,wire ect. all await your feet and hands.
Use caution around old buildings. Not only their integrity but spiders too. No need to be goofy about it but a recluse spider knawing on a glove is better than on your bare hide.

The well gets my attention. Maybe first. It was a place a few people went often. That adds up over time.
Then the mailbox area. And route from it to house.
Mailbox post dates trips to pick up mail before mail routes were established ,but there was a time you could put coins in the mailbox for postage. And coins go kerplunk sometimes. Those in winter snow being more likely to not get recovered at times.

Old razed (bulldozer pushed remains around to level site of home or outbuildings,or bury it) home sites leave a debris field. The depth of the layer determines success in reaching the oldest relics.
IF that debris is a thick layer of recent occupation your detector bottoms out before punching through , then old stuff can still be scattered in it. But is a different type hunting than unmolested ground.
Edges and low spots can be checked before gridding the whole site.
All to say ,if one homestead has layers of debris/dropped stuff with known time periods undisturbed it can be easier to understand. So undisturbed side of road has appeal if one side was stirred up.
Until layers are figured out ,older stuff could have been brought up to surface in some areas....IF any heavy equipment moved it. Or plowing was done in fields ect.

A nail field can await where home is no longer in site.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Big Ray, Best of luck to you in hunting the old home sites and properties. Take your time and the finds will come. Enjoy.

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have specifically hunted these types of sites for 5 years now. Rarely hunt in town. Here is a simple rundown of how I do it.

Depending on your area, search a county historical atlas for that township. Or use historic aerials site. Study the site through the decades of aerials. Then determine which building was the house. Usually has the most trees near it.

When I first enter the site. I don’t detect. I walk around. Take it in visually and tailor a plan by what I see. If it’s a foundation left and nothing else, observe the surface trash for ideas on age. You say they were lived in during the 70s. I can already tell you there will be copious amounts of modern trash. For these types I work from the outside in.

If I come into a site and there is nothing left, say but some rubble, it was likely dozed, then I just start right in the middle of the mess or consult the imagery to see where the yard was. It’s important to remember that when dozers and earth moving equipment became common after ww2, it’s like they just drank beer and targeted every old structure as practice with their new toys. Makes it tough but very fun as the history is stirred up big time.

My personal favorites are old settler era sites that were gone before ww2. Naturally decayed or burned. Dig all non ferrous tones. Good luck and hope this helps. You have great finds at virgin home sites.

OP
OP
B

BigRay

Apr 21, 2019
Northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the great ideas an suggestions. You all have given me plenty to thing about an work with. Im still working on the history of these propertys. Still trying to get info on when county hwy was put threw an what year. When was old house either torn down or burned. Most of these were built between 1840-1890 an they would tear down an recycle wood an nails.

Iowarelic made a great point as go look an walk the land first an get a observation of land. The well has also cought my interest an think i will start over their first. Plus safety first as i was told dont go in that house.Im sure i will find more junk at first as im still learning an nobody detects in these part of the woods way up north.

I also just got permission to detect a old boy scout camp ground that closed in the mid 1960s. I wish there was more peeps that did this in my parts but if your not from around here ya have a slim chance of getting on peeps land to look.My wife an i will learn as we go an figure it out. Thats why there are sights like this to ask questions an so many will to help out.

Want to get out an look befor the ticks get heavy.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good advice here, I would offer patience, patience, patience. Sounds like you have two sites that should produce but if you go out your first time and don't find much don't write it off. I know I have a few sites that I just know were going to be Banner Generators, of course they haven't....yet.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a similar detector at similar sites successfully. Try to detect as close to the house as possible. There will be areas littered with iron. Avoid these and stick to areas where you are getting clean signals then work your way out. Good luck and post your finds!

Buzz in California

Apr 22, 2019
Yuba City California
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000
EQUINOX800
MOSSBERG 12 GA.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
bons. This will be my first big test detecting on virgin grounds. Thank you for the reply ����

This is the first time YOU are detecting on the property, it’s not known how many other metal detectors have explored the land. Near a road it’s most difficult to find a place where no man has gone before...

On my claim there are areas that are very easy to prospect, I have tried prospecting in the same area and every little bit of gold has been found, other areas where I need to repel down a steep hill have been good locations where gold is still located.

Try detecting in areas where you think guys could have used as a restroom, near an out of the way tree, or a long time felled tree because when the pants come down the coins falls out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BigRay

Apr 21, 2019
Northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every post i learn more an more on where to look. In the next couple weeks ill be out there scouting an looking. I learned the land was split under condemnation law. Thats is why the old house is on one half and the other side they built a house closer to the farm land. Where the well is was another 80 acres they bought when land was split. Still havent figured why a well was there. Neither can the owners.

No power was ever ran their either. Thats why this spot really has my attention. Just more to get us excited to get out there.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Start by looking for concentrations of iron (nails...etc) this will give you an indication of where the home, barn, privy...may have been. When found begin a grid pattern (N/S, E/W, crisscross and spiral all should be done to cover a property. You have a lot to search so begin ASAP! Those ticks will be a pain, so do not wait! Good Luck on your project! :icon_thumleft:

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you can see where dozers scraped and pushed ground to fill in a low spot or just leveling. I like edges of yards that slope off. i have luck along those breaks that drop off. Those can put old stuff within reach of your coil.

Buzz in California

Apr 22, 2019
Yuba City California
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000
EQUINOX800
MOSSBERG 12 GA.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is my very first metal detecting an private land. What would be the best way to go about detecting on these ?

First you need a very good metal detector, and just as important... you need women to go with you, at least two; one to carry the chair and rub your feet when you are tired. The second woman to make your lunch, after all... you don’t want the woman that’s rubbing your feet to handle your food...

I wish you luck and I hope this helps you in your first metal detecting venture on private property...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread