I've had an Etrac for a couple days now... It's all true! What an amazing machine!

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally upgraded from my M6 and bought an Etrac to add to the collection. I cannot believe how accurate the tone id is at extreme depths. I cannot say it's any deeper than my M6, but pretty much everything with that machine sounds like iron any deeper than, say, seven inches. The etrac SCREAMS on deeper coins. It's really incredible.

I hit a park near my house that I have absolutely pounded. This park is worked over hard, by me and many other people I'm sure. Most times I go there I never even find a coin. I consider it the "park of iffy signals". Well, took the Etrac there for the first time, and pulled TWO ten inch wheat pennies. The machine knew without a doubt they were there. I am really blown away.

I'm certain I'll soon be finding my second silver coin over the last 4 years (and my entire detecting career) :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
And here's something to consider : In the evolutions/incarnations of the Explorer series by Minelab : The etrac was NOT considered to be the most "tell-tale" in the audio. Most users, who grew-up-through the ranks, considered the XS and the II to have the more tell-tale audio. So, for example, on the Etrac it became harder to tell a deep copper penny (wheatie) from a silver dime. But on the II, there seemed to be a bit more tell-tale difference.

But otherwise, you're right : Once you get used to the flock- of -sick-geese tones, then there's a lot of info that comes out of that tooty-fluty.

One way to ease the learning process, is to start out with a blacked-out high-disc. screen, where you've let nothing but copper pennies and up , into the acceptance range. Go to a spot brimming with easy clad, and dig 100 targets. The next day return, and lower it to accept zinc pennies. Repeat the 100 digs. The next day, lower the disc. to accept corroded zinc and square tabs. Repeat. And so on, and so forth, till you've finally opened your window down to foil and iron . In ferrous mode, the iron is distinguishable by the "grunt" sound, if I'm not mistaken (at least that's the way it is on the II).

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear your new machine is exceeding expectations. I know for myself I am leery about changing from a machine I know and trust to something different.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s well known that I went from the Whites IDX to the Explorer2 and INSTANTLY started finding MUCH deeper and older coins WITH ID. I’m VERY good with my IDX(toot toot!)which is even modified, but the FBS technology allows for sampling of the target in a different way...its WAY better at NOT letting the ground signal itself be such an influence. Who knew you can dig a freaking WHEAT at 10” with good enough ID to be confident that it’s a coin? Well....now YOU know.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And here's something to consider : In the evolutions/incarnations of the Explorer series by Minelab : The etrac was NOT considered to be the most "tell-tale" in the audio. Most users, who grew-up-through the ranks, considered the XS and the II to have the more tell-tale audio. So, for example, on the Etrac it became harder to tell a deep copper penny (wheatie) from a silver dime. But on the II, there seemed to be a bit more tell-tale difference.

But otherwise, you're right : Once you get used to the flock- of -sick-geese tones, then there's a lot of info that comes out of that tooty-fluty.

One way to ease the learning process, is to start out with a blacked-out high-disc. screen, where you've let nothing but copper pennies and up , into the acceptance range. Go to a spot brimming with easy clad, and dig 100 targets. The next day return, and lower it to accept zinc pennies. Repeat the 100 digs. The next day, lower the disc. to accept corroded zinc and square tabs. Repeat. And so on, and so forth, till you've finally opened your window down to foil and iron . In ferrous mode, the iron is distinguishable by the "grunt" sound, if I'm not mistaken (at least that's the way it is on the II).

Thanks for the background and pointers, Tom. I've been running the Andy Sandwich (or whatever) guy's coin program. It really hasn't been much of a struggle for me to adapt. The M6 (although only seven tones) is a very sensitive and nuanced detector and I'm damned good with it, so I think that has helped to ease the learning curve some.

The Etrac is a whole different animal! I am still floored at how deep it can id things if going by tone. The ID numbers tend to jump around a bit on deep targets, but I've pretty much always hunted by sound alone, so I trust my ear before anything else and it is already paying off in hunted-to-death parks!

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It’s well known that I went from the Whites IDX to the Explorer2 and INSTANTLY started finding MUCH deeper and older coins WITH ID. I’m VERY good with my IDX(toot toot!)which is even modified, but the FBS technology allows for sampling of the target in a different way...its WAY better at NOT letting the ground signal itself be such an influence. Who knew you can dig a freaking WHEAT at 10” with good enough ID to be confident that it’s a coin? Well....now YOU know.:icon_thumright:

How true it is. I knew I must have been passing over deeper stuff with my M6, so I've wanted to upgrade for a while now. I'm primarily a coinshooter, so the Etrac was first on my list. I had no idea what I was missing. The first time I started pulling 10" targets with proper ID, my mind was blown. It's a straight up beast.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear your new machine is exceeding expectations. I know for myself I am leery about changing from a machine I know and trust to something different.

I felt the same way until a hunting partner with an Etrac, pulled more Silver than me on one too many hunts. My AT PRO just couldn't keep up with him.
Bought an Etrac and tripled my silver finds the very next year. Take the plunge partner.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck with the new machine! :occasion14:

The others are correct...there is something about the Minelab Explorer II, it's a coin killer!

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a straight up beast.

Oh yes it is!!!!! A heavy beast but the info that machine gives is well worth the cumbersome feel of the eTrac ($25 detector pal solves that). I chase nuggets now but can't seem to part with my eTrac? That machine used to average me about 60-70 silvers/20-25 buffs & V's per 8 month season, etc. etc. Wait until you REALLY learn it....it'll only get better!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread