Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree19Likes
  • 9 Post By DiamondDan
  • 3 Post By Tom_in_CA
  • 2 Post By BLK HOLE
  • 3 Post By IDXMonster
  • 2 Post By against the wind

Thread: Ive had an Etrac for a couple days now... Its all true! What an amazing machine!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    Robbinsdale, MN
    White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
    361
    743 times
    Metal Detecting

    I've had an Etrac for a couple days now... It's all true! What an amazing machine!

    Finally upgraded from my M6 and bought an Etrac to add to the collection. I cannot believe how accurate the tone id is at extreme depths. I cannot say it's any deeper than my M6, but pretty much everything with that machine sounds like iron any deeper than, say, seven inches. The etrac SCREAMS on deeper coins. It's really incredible.

    I hit a park near my house that I have absolutely pounded. This park is worked over hard, by me and many other people I'm sure. Most times I go there I never even find a coin. I consider it the "park of iffy signals". Well, took the Etrac there for the first time, and pulled TWO ten inch wheat pennies. The machine knew without a doubt they were there. I am really blown away.

    I'm certain I'll soon be finding my second silver coin over the last 4 years (and my entire detecting career)

  2. #2

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,667
    10018 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    And here's something to consider : In the evolutions/incarnations of the Explorer series by Minelab : The etrac was NOT considered to be the most "tell-tale" in the audio. Most users, who grew-up-through the ranks, considered the XS and the II to have the more tell-tale audio. So, for example, on the Etrac it became harder to tell a deep copper penny (wheatie) from a silver dime. But on the II, there seemed to be a bit more tell-tale difference.

    But otherwise, you're right : Once you get used to the flock- of -sick-geese tones, then there's a lot of info that comes out of that tooty-fluty.

    One way to ease the learning process, is to start out with a blacked-out high-disc. screen, where you've let nothing but copper pennies and up , into the acceptance range. Go to a spot brimming with easy clad, and dig 100 targets. The next day return, and lower it to accept zinc pennies. Repeat the 100 digs. The next day, lower the disc. to accept corroded zinc and square tabs. Repeat. And so on, and so forth, till you've finally opened your window down to foil and iron . In ferrous mode, the iron is distinguishable by the "grunt" sound, if I'm not mistaken (at least that's the way it is on the II).

  3. #3
    Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche diggers, and the custom made Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    3,155
    4110 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Glad to hear your new machine is exceeding expectations. I know for myself I am leery about changing from a machine I know and trust to something different.

  4. #4
    us
    Mar 2014
    New Glarus,WI
    CTX,800,Explorer2,IDXPro-M,Compadre
    466
    642 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Itís well known that I went from the Whites IDX to the Explorer2 and INSTANTLY started finding MUCH deeper and older coins WITH ID. Iím VERY good with my IDX(toot toot!)which is even modified, but the FBS technology allows for sampling of the target in a different way...its WAY better at NOT letting the ground signal itself be such an influence. Who knew you can dig a freaking WHEAT at 10Ē with good enough ID to be confident that itís a coin? Well....now YOU know.

  5. #5
    Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    Robbinsdale, MN
    White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
    361
    743 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    And here's something to consider : In the evolutions/incarnations of the Explorer series by Minelab : The etrac was NOT considered to be the most "tell-tale" in the audio. Most users, who grew-up-through the ranks, considered the XS and the II to have the more tell-tale audio. So, for example, on the Etrac it became harder to tell a deep copper penny (wheatie) from a silver dime. But on the II, there seemed to be a bit more tell-tale difference.

    But otherwise, you're right : Once you get used to the flock- of -sick-geese tones, then there's a lot of info that comes out of that tooty-fluty.

    One way to ease the learning process, is to start out with a blacked-out high-disc. screen, where you've let nothing but copper pennies and up , into the acceptance range. Go to a spot brimming with easy clad, and dig 100 targets. The next day return, and lower it to accept zinc pennies. Repeat the 100 digs. The next day, lower the disc. to accept corroded zinc and square tabs. Repeat. And so on, and so forth, till you've finally opened your window down to foil and iron . In ferrous mode, the iron is distinguishable by the "grunt" sound, if I'm not mistaken (at least that's the way it is on the II).
    Thanks for the background and pointers, Tom. I've been running the Andy Sandwich (or whatever) guy's coin program. It really hasn't been much of a struggle for me to adapt. The M6 (although only seven tones) is a very sensitive and nuanced detector and I'm damned good with it, so I think that has helped to ease the learning curve some.

    The Etrac is a whole different animal! I am still floored at how deep it can id things if going by tone. The ID numbers tend to jump around a bit on deep targets, but I've pretty much always hunted by sound alone, so I trust my ear before anything else and it is already paying off in hunted-to-death parks!

  6. #6
    Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    Robbinsdale, MN
    White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
    361
    743 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IDXMonster View Post
    It’s well known that I went from the Whites IDX to the Explorer2 and INSTANTLY started finding MUCH deeper and older coins WITH ID. I’m VERY good with my IDX(toot toot!)which is even modified, but the FBS technology allows for sampling of the target in a different way...its WAY better at NOT letting the ground signal itself be such an influence. Who knew you can dig a freaking WHEAT at 10” with good enough ID to be confident that it’s a coin? Well....now YOU know.
    How true it is. I knew I must have been passing over deeper stuff with my M6, so I've wanted to upgrade for a while now. I'm primarily a coinshooter, so the Etrac was first on my list. I had no idea what I was missing. The first time I started pulling 10" targets with proper ID, my mind was blown. It's a straight up beast.

  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

    Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    20,627
    20160 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by BLK HOLE View Post
    Glad to hear your new machine is exceeding expectations. I know for myself I am leery about changing from a machine I know and trust to something different.
    I felt the same way until a hunting partner with an Etrac, pulled more Silver than me on one too many hunts. My AT PRO just couldn't keep up with him.
    Bought an Etrac and tripled my silver finds the very next year. Take the plunge partner.
    Tom_in_CA and IDXMonster like this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

  8. #8
    Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    23,584
    23156 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Good Luck with the new machine!

    The others are correct...there is something about the Minelab Explorer II, it's a coin killer!

  9. #9
    us
    Aug 2015
    Montana
    etrac, Goldmonster
    209
    701 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDan View Post
    It's a straight up beast.

    Oh yes it is!!!!! A heavy beast but the info that machine gives is well worth the cumbersome feel of the eTrac ($25 detector pal solves that). I chase nuggets now but can't seem to part with my eTrac? That machine used to average me about 60-70 silvers/20-25 buffs & V's per 8 month season, etc. etc. Wait until you REALLY learn it....it'll only get better!

 

 

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: Jan 30, 2019, 09:47 PM
  2. Amazing two days!
    By umrgolf in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: Jul 11, 2012, 07:51 PM
  3. Can anyone rent me their machine for a couple of days?
    By jsmith4750449 in forum Oklahoma
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Aug 27, 2009, 09:10 PM
  4. Etrac Rings True
    By Sheldius in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Feb 20, 2009, 04:29 PM
  5. TWO AMAZING DAYS FOR ME
    By Pennyworth in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Mar 11, 2007, 04:26 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0