EXTREMELY NEW

99mustang

Greenie
May 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I'm very new to metal detecting, like only a couple days ago I bought my first metal detector. It is a Bounty Hunter Discovery 2000..... I purchased it for $50. My question is,,, Is this a decent entry level detector so I know if I'm going to enjoy this hobby ?
From Reading Posts on this site I believe that I'm going to enjoy detecting very much.
Thanks

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't speak to the Bounty Hunter personally but I can tell you investing in a quality pinpointer such as the Garrett Propointer AT (orange) will be a HUGE time saver and make all the difference in the world.

SnohomishDigger

Greenie
Dec 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started off with a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, with the same idea: get an entry level detector and “test drive” the hobby, in about a year I upgraded to an Equinox 600 because my buddy and I were out practically every weekend hunting.

I second the suggestion to get a pin pointer, it makes finding your target once the ground is open a whole lot easier. There are entry level pinpointers available. They’re serviceable. I started out with one and upgraded to an Garrett Pro Pointer.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A pin pointer won't be required if you're just beach detecting. You will need a good scoop. Preferably one with a handle to save your back

OP
OP
99mustang

99mustang

Greenie
May 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone...... Is my detector a good detector for a person just into the hobby

SnohomishDigger

Greenie
Dec 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone...... Is my detector a good detector for a person just into the hobby

Well, that really depends. There are a bunch of variables that come into play. Bounty Hunter is a decent entry level brand.

In my experience, whether or not a particular detector model is suitable for a new user depends primarily on what type of hunting you expect to primarily do - parks, beaches, playgrounds, looking for coins, etc. Also, the patience and dedication to learning of the user comes into play. As a new detectorist you are likely going to be surprised by the amount of trash metal all detectorists dig - contrary to what some YouTube videos would lead us to believe.

Regardless of what detector you begin with, be patient, learn, and dig a lot of targets.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Is a particular car model sufficient to be able to drive?
You own the detector , use it.

The "best" detector would be best for a beginner. Or would it?

If you learn the detector and make recoveries then it's good.

If you commit to an upgrade (as with anything) only you know what your limit based on use and desire will be.

Look up test gardens. Or a rug or cardboard substitute.
Learn how to make recoveries , with a probe ,or digging tool. How to cut a plug. How to cut a flap. How to not leave divots or holes or dead spots ,or sign of where you dug.

TreasureNet - Guide

OP
OP
99mustang

99mustang

Greenie
May 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much you both make plenty of sense and I never really looked at it and quite that perspective

JoeT70

May 5, 2019
Punta Gorda Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher f5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all I'm also very new to this hobby, I'm still waiting for my detector to be delivered. I'm interested in meeting other couples to meet for detecting outings.

Joseph Tremblay
Punta Gorda Florida

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey I think you got a great deal. Get out and dig everything for a week or so so you get used to the nuances of the tones for each target. I started with a lesser machine, yours has more features than the one I started with. When you are ready to upgrade, make a list of the features you think would make your hunts more enjoyable. For instance after using the TC-1023 for a couple months I knew I wanted a machine with multiple coil choices, I also wanted a DD vs the concentric coil. I knew I wanted to see target ID numbers and wanted more depth and wanted notch capabilities. I did find a used Fisher F4 which gave me all the features I knew I wanted. I bought it locally on craigslist. A few months later I found a great deal on a used F75LTD from a gentleman in PA who had to leave the hobby due to health reasons. I agree with the others when it comes to getting a good pinpointer. Heck I didn't go out today since my pin pointer is on the fritz. It's a Garrett so if I call tomorrow and send it off I might get it back by this coming weekend.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting from an Ohio coin shooter.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with a really cheap Bounty Hunter detector that my girlfriend at the time got me for Christmas many, many years ago. That detector found numerous silver coins, so trust me you WILL find stuff with yours. The key is to be patient and learn what the sounds are telling you. Doing a little research for good sites will help the quality of your finds to improve. Welcome to the hobby, and welcome to Treasurenet!

BigRay

Apr 21, 2019
Northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife uses the bounty 2000. Its a great detector for her as she is not as serious as i am but gets out with me to stay active. It will find coins down to 6 inches. As she has found alot.

Like the others said get to no it first. Spend time tinkering with the settings. I set the settings for her an she is gone lol lol .

She did find a necklace an also junk. Have fun an watch any vids on setting it up. GOOD LUCK an welcome

OP
OP
99mustang

99mustang

Greenie
May 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went in my yard for about a half hour and got a dime and a penny..... both about 1/2"-1" deep..
Yay[emoji3]

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Take your time and learn your machine, then decide what improvements or upgrades you wish to own. Research each machine an determine what will meet your hunting needs.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
99mustang

99mustang

Greenie
May 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should I leave it on "all metal" or use the other 2 settings at 1st ?

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from SC and good luck. It is very addictive!

OP
OP
99mustang

99mustang

Greenie
May 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 3 settings are at the bottom..... I had it on ALL METAL because I don't know what the others do 20190505_193528-1.jpg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia. You are on the right path. You have to crawl before you walk. Best of luck to you with the Bounty Hunter and Welcome to a great hobby. Enjoy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions