Detector for Parks and Schools (Trashy Sites)

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the short of it- Needing something that can deal with the tons of bottlecaps, pulltabs, foil, and assorted junk in these high traffic areas.
I already own an XP ORX and finding that the coil is a bit too large for such hunts as it grabs multiple targets at once. I HAVE found items with the ORX in some rough trash but it is extremely annoying. It's a detector you take out to less trashy sites. It's a good unit, and I will be keeping it but think of it as the last one to run over a site when finds get sparse.
I like visual target ID but it is not a necessity in this case. Something that has a proven record of doing well in high traffic areas with modern trash.

So I'm looking for the following things:
1) Good discrimination without clipping out good things(no detector is perfect, I know this)
2) Not a heavy unit.
3) Something with smaller coil than 8", a coil that can work closer to bleachers, tot lot swings and such.
4) Less than $600.00
5) Waterproof coil (not looking to go diving, but something that can deal with shallow water)

What I'm not looking for:
1) Minelab Equinox recommendations (Already been down that road, just was not for me and my ears)

What I've looked at so far and thought about:
Tesoro Outlaw with the 3 coils
Whites TreasurePro
Garrett AT Pro with 5x8 coil

Feel free to recommend any other unit that will meet some or all of the above wants.

Upvote 0

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the ATpro, with the 5X8 coil, in parks and school yards, with good success. I use the small coil, because I broke one of the ears off my larger coil. I’ve not noticed any significant difference in depth, but it is a bit better on separation of targets.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of your choices, I'd go with the Tesoro. I have the XP Deus with elliptical coil so multiple targets is not an issue. Does the ORX take an elliptical coil? That would solve the problem.

Monte

Jun 5, 2008
Vale, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact (2), FORS Relic (3), FORS CoRe (2)
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido II µMAX, Silver Sabre µMAX & Mojave
Makro and Nokta Pinpointers
Killer-B 'Hornet' headphones
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RobNC said:
Here's the short of it- Needing something that can deal with the tons of bottlecaps, pulltabs, foil, and assorted junk in these high traffic areas.
.. By including "Bottlecaps" as well as "assorted junk" you're gong to be dealing with both ferrous and non-ferrous trash. What is vague is your reference to "tons of" because we can each have our own interpretation of how much of what type of trash, and how closely associated the junk and keepers are that would define "tons of".

RobNC said:
I already own an XP ORX and finding that the coil is a bit too large for such hunts as it grabs multiple targets at once. I HAVE found items with the ORX in some rough trash but it is extremely annoying. It's a detector you take out to less trashy sites. It's a good unit, and I will be keeping it but think of it as the last one to run over a site when finds get sparse.
.. I agree with your thinking that the ORX is probably a very good detector, but for more of a wide-open and sparse-target area due to the search coil sized and types available. It amazes me that a top-end, higher quality detector manufacturer doesn't make a smaller-size accessory coil in something like a 5" to 6" diameter.

RobNC said:
I like visual target ID but it is not a necessity in this case. Something that has a proven record of doing well in high traffic areas with modern trash.
.. I agree, while a good working VDI display can be a useful and functional tool for some applications, they are close to useless in very densely littered sites where masking effects can easily degrade a target's response.

I currently own and use a number of makes and models of detectors, and since mid-'83 I have concentrated the bulk of my detecting efforts to working sites with an annoyingly dense amount of debris, especially iron nails and other ferrous discards in-the-mix, and while I do have standard to larger-size search coils on-hand, I keep all of my detectors at-the-ready with smaller-size search coils or a couple of them might have a mid-size coil mounted for more open areas. Those three would be a round 7" Concentric or a 5X9½ DD elliptical coil. And I only use a 1-Tone, 2-Tone, 3-Tone or 4-Tone audio Tone ID based on the different make or model, but in the nastiest amount of junk I prefer one of my Single-Tone Tesoro's or a Nokta CoRe or Relic in either 2-Tone or 3-Tone.

RobNC said:
So I'm looking for the following things:
1) Good discrimination without clipping out good things no detector is perfect,Iknow this)
2) Not a heavy unit.
3) Something with smaller coil than 8", a coil that can work closer tobleachers, tot lot swings and such.
4) Less than $600.00
5) Waterproof coil (not looking to go diving, but something that can deal with shallow water)
1.. Discriminate mode performance can vary a lot based upon the circuitry design, to include the amount of rejection used, how the detector's circuitry process both ferrous and non-ferrous targets and is still able to restore itself to provide a quick-response and fast-recovery in heavy trash, the size and type of search coil used. I have 11 detectors in my Regular-Use Outfit comprised of 7 different models because I have 4 duplicates. Of those 7 models, all can do 'OK' in 'average' or low-trash density environments, but only 2 of them make the absolute best performers in the nastiest of iron nail challenges that I regularly encounter. And I always agree that there is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector.

2.. Two weeks from tomorrow I turn 70, but I have had to use a can since march of '93, and in this past 26 years things haven't been improving, either.:( Back is worse, imbalance is a real struggle to deal with, and along with other things I'm currently being treated for both long and heart issues. I have preferred a lighter-weight and comfortably-balanced detector anyway, but especially for the last 32 years since an on-the-job back injury.

3.. Since I hunt heavily littered sites that abound in ferrous debris, smaller-size search coils are needed, and that also helps keep a detector set-up lighter-weight to help satisfy #2, and nothing I use has an 8" coil mounted. I consider an 8" or larger size-coil width to be a 'Standard' coil. A 7" round diameter or an elliptical of about 5" side-to-side diameter
(such as the open-frame 5X9½ DD's I use) I consider to be a 'mid-sized' coil.

Most of my hunting is done with a smaller-size coil mounted full-time, and in my Outfit those include:

1- Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' 4.7X5.2 DD
1- Nokta FORS Relic w/5" DD
1- Teknetics T2+ w/5" DD
2- Tesoro Silver Sabre microMAX w/6" Concentric
1- Tesoro Bandido II microMAX w/6" Concentric

Those are the only search coils I use on those models and they stay attached full-time.

4.. None of these set-ups cost me $600, and the Tesoro's and smaller-size coils were the most affordable. They are also what I grab first when hitting tot-lots and the metal structures or working as close as possible to metal bleachers.

5.. Almost every search coil offered is waterproof, and I know all of mine are.

So, out of your current detector selection thoughts, I would especially suggest a good-working Tesoro. Personally, although the Outlaw was kind of based on the Bandido II microMAX unit, I am not fond of the Outlaw due to glitches or annoyance of the pinpoint button. Otherwise they works relatively close and both to provide a manual GB function. I also like to have a good Threshold-based All metal Pinpoint feature, and my two favorite Tesoro's of the most recent vintage are the Bandido II microMAX with manual GB and the Silver Sabre microMAX which is the internally preset GB for turn-on-and-go operation.

Because I use ONLY the 6" Concentric coils on all my Tesoro's, I have calibrated the GB on both my SS microMAX units to handle the more mineralized ground I hunt in all the areas I go w/o falsing in the Disc. mode, and sufficient for peak performance at turn-on. Since you already have an XP ORX and consider it the top-end model for open area searches to provide depth and performance, I'd suggest a good Tesoro and 6" Concentric coil to make a very good complement of two detectors.

Monte

OP
OP
RobNC

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about the Teknetics T2+ with aftermarket NEL 5" Coil? Or the T2 Special Edition which includes the factory coil and factory 5" DD Coil?
I've done a lot of reading on the T2 and unlike most units the disc circuit and handling seems to be different. when you crank up disc with that machine it appears from research that at higher disc levels there is actually a gain built in. For what I am trying to do, I think the T2 with a 5" coil using 60-70 sens and 20 disc would get the job done. Multiple choices on your tones with that machine too. Looking better all the time, and might be the ticket.

Is the factory 5" DD Coil good, or would it be better to get an aftermarket small coil instead?

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am with RobNC but I would offer you a used patriot, F70, or F75 with the 5"DD coil. That coil gets amazing depth for it's size. Just won't fit your wet beach need.

OP
OP
RobNC

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am with RobNC but I would offer you a used patriot, F70, or F75 with the 5"DD coil. That coil gets amazing depth for it's size. Just won't fit your wet beach need.

It's ok, I'm 5 hrs from the beach. The last time I was there was back in 2007 I believe. So the beach is not a concern. Pulled the trigger on the Teknetics T2 SE with 11" coil and 5" coil. Also bought coil covers because that is not included. Extra lower rod, enviro cover, and arm strap. With the XP ORX, T2 SE with small coil, and the Teknetics Minuteman for backup/loaner I'm done with buying detectors. If these can't get the job done as a team the problem is ME!

Admittedly I like electronics, and metal detectors have always been interesting to me in particular. It's the whole thing of experimentation, and the T2/F75 has a lot of settings to dabble with. Surely I can find a groove with it.
The XP ORX is a really good unit too, and it picks up really small things. I found what looks to be part of a lizard pendant, the front leg actually (really tiny-like ball point pen tip size) with the ORX. That unit definitely has its place in my metal militia.

This T2 should be good for bulldozing through the garbage for coarse finding, the ORX can clean up any possible gold the T2 doesn't hit and will use higher frequency. The ORX lacks audio customization, the T2 has a lot more options. They will compliment each other nicely I believe. The Minuteman can be a scout, I will take it with me to work and on lunch hour go out and detect new places. Can also use that thing as an entry chip for getting into new places. What way to better ask for permission if you can offer the landowner to detect with you... Ahh yes it's coming all together now

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Compadre. Hands down!

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The t2 se is absolutely worth every cent. The 5” dd has to be seen to believe the depth. The 5x10 is also a great coil. I hunted quite a bit around modern trash with a vaquero, compadre, and t2. and I would reach for the t2 everytime. It really could be the best money spent under 600 bucks on any detector imo. I’ve not used a whole lot of models but the t2 gives me confidence on every hunt. The vaquero a close second, but the t2 is better for me in yards and parks so far.

I have left many iffy signals and mid tone targets behind in a stretch of old yard that I have totally picked with the t2. About a 30x15 area that had produced many coins and relics. I did this to bring my other machines over and check them on these iffy signals vs the t2. The gold bug pro did not give me any more to dig after 2 runs through, neither did the vaquero. The iffy tones were not improved with either machine. I figure it’s a real world test bed, I just don’t know what I’m swinging over. In the end, the t2 produces more finds and less trash for me. I also can attest to many more co located finds. Like pennies with nails around them and such. Currently looking to find somthing that can beat the t2 overall for my sites. I think the racer 2 or the impact would be a good run for the money. I just know with the 5x10 dd in disc mode in 3 tone, the t2 will hit a 10” dime hard in my dirt. Hits nickels deep too, with poor Id though granted. It never leaves my car.

All this said, with what you listed as options, the Tesoro wins no question. Oh and the funnest Tesoro for me has been the compadre. It’s my favorite for scouting new areas, loaning out, and it can unexplainable hit the tiniest of targets. It really is a smokin little detector for the price. I left the vaquero behind for months because the compadre wouldn’t stop finding goods.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread