Newbie trying to get a MT

Arthur Salomon

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I've been collecting coins for almost 15 years, and years ago I started rock collecting thanks to my daughter who got me interested. If you put this two ingredients together... I would like to start with metal detecting focus in current and old coins. Going to parks, lakes, old houses, beaches, rivers, you name it... but like I said before, focus mainly in current and old coins to add to my collection!!!)

I've been doing research for which machine to get and I know for newbies like myself this can be overwhelming and tentative (NOX 600/800) because there always going to exist a better machine for a little more money than what you are planning to spend an sometimes discussions in forums can confuse you even more. I'm a very dedicated person I do not mind spend time to get to know a MD

Which MT would you recommend me to get to find coins anywhere (not necessarily waterproof but I will need it for shallow water)
under 500$?

... I live in Maryland just as a reference.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can afford it, the Equinox is the best bang for the buck. It's a great all around detector that you won't outgrow any time soon.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Salomon

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I need to explain myself a little better.

First, I'm removing completely the beach from my places to look for coins, I do not know If I need a waterproof MD, since I'm just going to use it in small streams where the water is very shallow, a waterproof coil should do.
Second, I'm not going to spend more than $500 (maybe $550 including the pointer but that is it.) So, I'm definitely not getting the NOX 600 right now.
Third, what do you guys think about the AT PRO, X-TERRA 705, TEKNETICS T2 CLASSIC, White's TREASUREpro, and FISHER F4, which one will you get based on my needs, previously explained?
Finally, anyways after my first MD (still do not know which one) I will save money to eventually get the NOX 800.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$500 is a tough number for something that will grow with you but there are a few that i know off hand around there.. T2, F44, Patriot, Ace 400, AT Pro (for $488 but they do not include headphones in there sport package) most teknetics/Fisher models are around there. $650 is the EQ 600 but you might be able to find a deal on Ebay.

Heres the problem with giving a price range.. You are not sure yet wether this (addiction to most of us here) will impact you and become an obsession. I did the same thing and started with an Ace250 that i outgrew after 2-3 hunts and “needed” something better. Any MD will find and beep on a target in the ground.. The good thing about most name brand detectors is they hold there value pretty well. Good Luck and welcome to the hobby.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime you're going to be around water, I recommend a waterproof detector. Of the ones on your list and in your price range, I'd get the AT Pro if you can't spring for the Nox.

Coinucopia

Nov 24, 2017
SE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MXT All Pro, Whites Treasuremaster, Fisher F5,
Multiple coil options
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Second, I'm not going to spend more than $500 (maybe $550 including the pointer but that is it.) So, I'm definitely not getting the NOX 600 right now.

Just a thought but little more over stated budget. If you are a veteran, you can get a 15% discount from Minelab. A Nox 600 would be around 551 from a couple of vendors I looked at. I'm looking at one myself for that price.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome Arthur. My best guess would be for you to try it out before you buy it whatever it might be. I'm not too sure of venders in your area, but they or even other detectorists in clubs could let you see and try some models. Many have gone with the AT Pro and the Nox models are higher than your stated range and you may wish to go that high if you've tried out many detectors.

On a side note, I do know of somebody that just inherited a rock and mineral collection and some items may be up for sale sometime in the future. Some may be kept as very valuable as well as sentimental. I'm not the one who got this collection for the record and the one who did has much to learn of it. Maybe if you have certain interests or particular items you'd want to acquire then PM me and I'll inquire if that item is available. It may take a long time as much needs inventoried as well as other legal matters settled due to inheritance.

Monte

Jun 5, 2008
Vale, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact (2), FORS Relic (3), FORS CoRe (2)
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido II µMAX, Silver Sabre µMAX & Mojave
Makro and Nokta Pinpointers
Killer-B 'Hornet' headphones
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Arthur Salomon said:
Hello everyone, this is my first post.
Arthur, Do NOT let this be the last of your posts! Check in often to stay on top of your posts and responses. There will be a lot of suggestions, and those can confuse you. There will be some well-intended help, but maybe from someone who is a little less experienced than an Avid Detectorist and their replies might be helpful, but not always backed by ample experience and 'Detector Know-How' to present the better advice. And keep in mind, you wil often read replies that are tainted by a particular metal detector or hunt-style bias and, quite possibly, that can lead you astray when trying to select a detector, search coils to use, and available performance-based features a detector might provide.

Arthur Salomon said:
I would like to start with metal detecting focus in current and old coins. Going to parks, lakes, old houses, beaches, rivers, you name it... but like I said before, focus mainly in current and old coins to add to my collection!!!
Current Coins as well as Old Coins simply suggests you are a Coin Hunter who desires ANY coins regardless of their date of mintage or the type of location you're planning to search.

Arthur Salomon said:
I've been doing research for which machine to get and I know for newbies like myself this can be overwhelming and tentative (NOX 600/800) because there always going to exist a better machine for a little more money than what you are planning to spend an sometimes discussions in forums can confuse you even more. I'm a very dedicated person I do not mind spend time to get to know a MD
1st.. Don't start mentioning a particular make & model, such as the Minelab Equinox devices, until you have handled them and have determined that they would make the best fit in your personal detector outfit.

2nd.. Don't always make a "better than" conclusion that it is based on having a little
(or a lot) higher price because that definitely isn't true. Yes, there can be some + or - differences in detector features or detector performance associated with an MSRP, but not always. Even today we can see a lot of brand new from the factory detectors that have a much higher retail price, or a much lower retail price, that excel over some other detectors, from both the same manufacturer or from a competitor.

3rd.. You do NOT have to spend top dollar to get a very good performing detector. trust me, I have been an Avid Detectorist for a long, long time and only occasionally do I acquire a 'brand new' detector. There are a lot of people like yourself, who have an interest in the Metal Detecting sport but they soon learn a new detector they acquired is too heavy, unbalanced or maybe just too complex for them to use. They end up not all that interested in detecting and sell their like-new detector or detector outfit .... cheap!

Maybe they bought a detector on several recommendations, then determine they wanted to spend a little more so they sell their recent purchase at a 'used price' discount. You can save money that way which can be spent on important other things, such as one or two search coils that complement the outfit and provide more versatility, better performance .... and that means more desired finds!

Finally 4th.. Keep in mind that while there are some models that have enough adjustment features, operating Audio Tones, and designed in or custom outfitted, there is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector. Since late 1971 I have maintained a personal detector Outfit of no fewer than 2 detectors, and most of the time I am more in the 3 to 6
(or more) detector category. I also keep different models outfitted with a specific search coil best suited to the types of site conditions I will be encountering.

Arthur Salomon said:
Which MT would you recommend me to get to find coins anywhere (not necessarily waterproof but I will need it for shallow water) under 500$?
There are a lot of Metal detectors that can find coins quite handily and are priced under $00 to $550, both brand new and gently used and in fine condition. As for "finding them anywhere," that's the tricky part. Some makes and models will excel in a dense iron contaminated habit, but just be 'average' in common open city park conditions. Other makes and models show their strengths in common open-area park hunting, especially when trying to concentrate on some of the deeper positioned coins and out-perform other detector that excel in the dense iron debris sites. There is no perfect detector so it's nice to have two or three or four (you can acquire over time as you get more involved in and serious about this great sport) to better handle a variety of different site conditions you will encounter as you progress in this sport.

Arthur Salomon said:
... I live in Maryland just as a reference.
Helpful info as it lets us know you're not dealing with a higher iron mineral ground environment.

Arthur Salomon said:
I think I need to explain myself a little better.

First, I'm removing completely the beach from my places to look for coins, I do not know If I need a waterproof MD, since I'm just going to use it in small streams where the water is very shallow, a waterproof coil should do.
Virtually every search coil offered today from a quality manufacturer is waterproof. As of today my Regular-Use Detector Outfit consists of 13 detectors, comprised 9 different models. I have duplicate of the Nokta FORS CoRe, Fisher F44, Tesoro Bandido II microMAX and Silver Sabre microMAX. Note that I don't have a regular-use detector that is waterproof and that's because I don't Beach Hunt all that often and I only work the coil in the water. No me or the detector.

Arthur Salomon said:
Smart decision of what not to get, in my opinion.

Arthur Salomon said:
Third, what do you guys think about the AT PRO, X-TERRA 705, TEKNETICS T2 CLASSIC, White's TREASUREpro, and FISHER F4, which one will you get based on my needs, previously explained?
Of your list, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th models I would cross off the list, in this order, include: White's Treasure Pro or any of the 'Treasure' or 'Coinmaster' offerings. Minelab's X-Terra of any version. Fisher F4 or any of the single-digit F series. Garrett AT Pro.

Of that list the AT series and some of the 'F' series can do okay, but in a lot of field testing they fall sort on versatile performance, for me in my comparisons, to provide enough performance for the dollar invested. I have owned several original Teknetics T2's and four of the T2 'Classic' models and they work OK. Today I have a T2+ that I added to my Outfit just a few months ago and it makes a nice fit and can do well for me in a lot of open area sites, modern trash sites, and most dense iron contaminated places, too. But I only use the 5" DD coil on it.

Arthur Salomon said:
Finally, anyways after my first MD (still do not know which one) I will save money to eventually get the NOX 800.
Save money, yes, but it seems like you're concentrating too much on one brand and model. If you're so determined that it's the best performer, just buy one. Then spend the big bucks to buy their 6" DD coil, then get out and use it in a wide variety of sites with a very good assortment of operational challenges. I am sure you will either sell or trade it off, or better yet want to add one or two more models to your detector team because, while the EQ-800 is a handy and capable detector, it isn't perfect and does fall sort compared with quite a few competitive models to tackle a lot of Coin Hunting sites.

Sorry to ramble but it would help if you did more research on various models, research o the many different types of locations to do some Coin Hunting and better understand the many different site challenges you'll encounter. There are very few "local dealers" left these days, and many of them are operated by folks who don't detect at all or just very little. Fewer metal detecting clubs as well, but if you have a local club, or a local group of enthusiasts who get together, it might not hurt to join a club or group and get with some members and do some hands-on handling of several detectors to better understand some of their strengths and weaknesses.

As you gain more knowledge, get back on here and post some more specific questions regarding detectors of interest.

Monte

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread