Hunting Farms?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The rule of thumb for any coin-hunting, is to hunt where people gathered, recreated, spend $$, camped, etc... So to simply go to row-crop fields, won't necessarily be any good. Yeah, sure, a field worker is sure to loose a coin now and then, but not as prolific as the daily foot traffic right next to habitations. So I'd say to concentrate around the homes, lawns, etc.... Unless you had some specific information that picnics or old foundations, or something was where current row crops now are.

As for depth, there is no steadfast rule. Depends on ground type, moisture, plowing, etc... I've dug seateds and gold coins so shallow, that I could hear them with my pinpointer before I even started digging (2"?) And I've dug memorial pennies 10 and 11" deep!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen lots of finds pulled out of the middle of plowed fields. Its not important that it is a field now, its important to find out what it was back then. Make sure you look at old maps and aerial maps to see if you can see where structures might have been.
Happy Hunting

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
txkickergirl said:
I have seen lots of finds pulled out of the middle of plowed fields. Its not important that it is a field now, its important to find out what it was back then. Make sure you look at old maps and aerial maps to see if you can see where structures might have been.
Happy Hunting

I agree...get the old maps!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I have permission to hunt on a farm. I know where the original house was and I will be hunting the fields closest to that old house as soon as they get plowed! The lawn where the house stood is well manicured and I'm not sure I'll be able to do that area but I'm sure I'll be busy enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread